IGNORED

Harpy's Curse - A MetroidVania for the 7800

Revontuli

I just added a beta ROM to test the saving capabilities to the original post.  You'll need an SD Cart + SaveKey or AtariVox or other compatible save system (or if you're a hotshot on the A7800 you can probably get something working).  I wanted to have this and the 2nd quest in one update, but deadlines are coming and I want to make sure the saving system works as well as it can.  Testers would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also aiming to get the 2nd quest update ASAP (and I *think* your save file and passwords should still be compatible for future ROMs)...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Revontuli said:

I just added a beta ROM to test the saving capabilities to the original post.  You'll need an SD Cart + SaveKey or AtariVox or other compatible save system (or if you're a hotshot on the A7800 you can probably get something working).  I wanted to have this and the 2nd quest in one update, but deadlines are coming and I want to make sure the saving system works as well as it can.  Testers would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also aiming to get the 2nd quest update ASAP (and I *think* your save file and passwords should still be compatible for future ROMs)...

It is also HSC compatible, as setting the environment in A7800 for HSC being present results in "LOAD GAME" appearing, whereas no HSC present, the option is missing. 

HSC saving support in A7800 can be leveraged by selecting "High Score Cartridge" from the internal menu selection after launching A7800, or via command line: 

a7800 a7800 -cart1 hiscore -cart2 "C:\Path\To\ROM\My ROM.a78"

The High Score Cart ROM needs to be present, which is included in the optional files download.

The *.a78 file that was posted is v3 compliant, but not v4. 

Compliance for v4 of the header, flagging the presence of HSC support, and setting the 'multi-region' bit, is included with the below attached file. 

This should ensure best compatibility across all platforms:

Harpy's Curse (20230818) (1A6431DB).a78

:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Trebor said:

Compliance for v4 of the header, flagging the presence of HSC support, and setting the 'multi-region' bit, is included with the below attached file. 

Much appreciated!!

I've been trying to update my pipeline to make sure I have ROMs compatible with the latest stuff (I got a 7800GD to help development and testing) but I'm still not sure of the proper steps to get the ROM woking with POKEY-based audio and HSC/SaveKey/AtariVox elements.

I updated to 7800Basic v0.29, which seems to compile to a78 v3 and v4.

I currently have POKEY set to $450 - this doesn't play on BupSystem (and I don't think it'll work on other setups unless I do something, but I'm not sure what...)

Let me know where/what I can do to get a proper ROM built (or point me to where it's been posted, I've been looking, I swear! :) )

I've the skeleton of the 2nd quest in, I need to make sure it works as I fill out the details and finalize the level design. 

That said, anyone who can try saving/loading, you can do it at Password tablets, Game Over screens, and of course the Title Screen - I'm sure I missed some stuff, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 4

On 8/19/2023 at 6:07 AM, Trebor said:

It is also HSC compatible, as setting the environment in A7800 for HSC being present results in "LOAD GAME" appearing, whereas no HSC present, the option is missing. 

HSC saving support in A7800 can be leveraged by selecting "High Score Cartridge" from the internal menu selection after launching A7800, or via command line: 

a7800 a7800 -cart1 hiscore -cart2 "C:\Path\To\ROM\My ROM.a78"

The High Score Cart ROM needs to be present, which is included in the optional files download.

Harpy's Curse (20230818) (1A6431DB).a78 128.13 kB · 19 downloads

:)

Replying so I can find this back later!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm aiming to have a full beta for Harpy's Curse posted for the weekend - To that end: anyone here 1) beat the game and 2) find an odd easter egg requiring all four keys?  This coming build might have something new for you - especially if you think you've explored the whole maze :)

Also, anyone try the save features in the last build posted?  How does that seem to be working out, if so?  Anyone make extensive use of the passwords?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silver Back said:

I'm trying very hard to avoid the temptation to play the hell out of this game as I want to enjoy it when I buy it after November. But you keep tempting me lol

I appreciate the patience and wanting to wait for the physical game!

That said, I will say to everyone in the forums that *am* looking for guinea pigs testers to look for glitches, bugs, etc.  This can also be an opportunity for folks to give feedback before a final build is burned to cartridge.  I post public betas and try to give curious folks and testers time to play, so if you find an annoying bug, or you think a boss is way too hard, or there's a particular shade of purple that you don't like in the opening screen, you can at least post your grievances in the forums :)   

I'm going to try and sprint to get a beta build posted tonight for the weekend - I want to play through on an SD cart once or twice to make sure there's no egregious bugs beforehand.  

• Like 3

Here it is!  Latest version of Harpy's Curse!

This should be feature complete, with a few more secrets (again, if you found an area requiring four keys, try going back that way in this build... :))

These ROMs support SaveKey/AtariVox (A7800 supports it, and hardware if you're playing the ROM using an SD Cart):

HarpysCurse_9_2_2023_Beta7_SaveKey.bas.a78

HarpysCurse_9_2_2023_Beta7_SaveKey.bas.bin

These *don't* have the save feature, but that makes them a little more emulator-friendly (they'll run fine on BupSystem, for instance):

HarpysCurse_9_2_2023_Beta7.bas.a78

HarpysCurse_9_2_2023_Beta7.bas.bin

I did a ton of last minute bug fixes, so if anyone finds anything glitchy or buggy, please let me know!

image.thumb.png.76c6a1a4b562eec9867a408788c363b2.png 

POKEY audio doesn't seem to work on 7800GD currently - I'll try and figure that out.  Haven't tested on Dragonfly or POKEYfied Concerto.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Trying to get as much testing in before PRGE as I can - I'm curious how far folks have gotten in the game, and if anyone has tried using the save game system in any capacity.  Passwords should work with earlier ROMs, to a point - and you can use a password to restore progress, and then save at a tablet (for those who have been playing the game with earlier versions).

Also curious if anyone has uncovered the second quest yet...

New Beta for the weekend - mainly cosmetic bug fixes (returning to the title screen from the credits shouldn't show a glitch frame, hopefully), plus a some little updates in the second quest.

Save-enabled ROMs for those with save peripherals for their 7800s and SD Carts (or A7800 and HSC setup):

HarpysCurse_9_16_2023_Beta9_SaveKey.bas.a78

HarpysCurse_9_16_2023_Beta9_SaveKey.bas.bin

Save-less ROMs that have wider emulator compatibility:

HarpysCurse_9_16_2023_Beta9_NoDevice.bas.a78

HarpysCurse_9_16_2023_Beta9_NoDevice.bas.bin

Your old saves and passwords *should* work on these new ROMs.

I'm aiming to get a final build before PRGE in October, so please post any feedback, bugs, criticisms of the background color, etc. while you can! :)

• Like 2

Tonight's update - some more minor fixes (and I'm at the point where I'm afraid fixing something will break something else, so I've been playing through the game a good chunk of the weekend).

This current ROM is meant for hardware and peripheral testing, so it'll probably only work well on emulators like A7800 or an SD cart:

HarpysCurse_9_17_2023_BetaA_SaveKey.bas.a78

HarpysCurse_9_17_2023_BetaA_SaveKey.bas.bin

Finally got around to updating the firmware on my 7800GD - it's what I'm using for a cartridge "dress rehearsal."  POKEY music is now coming through, although the quality of my old AV cable is very questionable and buzzy. 

Anyone else able to listen to the POKEY audio on an SD cart like the DragonFly or 7800GD on a physical 7800?   Is the audio coming through OK (i.e. no buzzing or "bad" echoes)?  I'm curious if this is a larger issue on my end...

(also tempted to offer a cookie to the first person who posts a screenshot from the second quest... :) )

• Like 2

Submitting final builds for cart usage in the next few days - so this is the last call for anyone to report bugs, etc. (I'm trying to squash the last few, although I'm sure streamers will find new ones in seconds, despite this game being open and free to play for about a year - There's a lot of things to test in a MetroidVania...:))

Any feedback is also appreciated, and a last chance before this gets carved in stone burned to cartridge.

A few notes on the final public builds:

-The game has three possible endings, depending on certain circumstances

-A wrong password starts as if it's a new game (i.e. no items etc.), this is a bug that's hopefully fixed (you'll get an "error" message and chance to revise the password).  I might post a new build if I find anything more egregious.

2ndQuest_1.thumb.png.d74a54c631be0c0929d88068c9aac0e1.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Been watching videos of this. I am not sure a flappy bird mechanic is a great idea in a metroidvania.

The flap mechanic maybe needs to be toned down maybe more controllable like Joust.

The video I watched was from 8 months ago.So maybe things have changed.

Have you tried the beta? That might give you a better idea of how well the controls work vs watching videos of gameplay. The mechanics do take a bit of getting used to, especially the lunging attack, but they are also what give the game a more unique feel.

Also - this game is close to a final release, so it's probably unlikely that there will be any major changes in control schemes at this point.

30 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Unfortunately I have not been able to try it. 

Ill try to find the latest videos.

Not much in the way of recent videos (and you won't get the best sense of the control by watching someone else play :) ), but the beta is playable in-browser if you don't want to deal with more involved 7800 emulation:

Harpy's Curse Beta - JS7800

The only major hurdle might be toggling "Frame Synch" if the game appears slow.  

The game is being prepped for ROM burning, we're doing the final tests on the target cart hardware - the physical copies are going to debut at PRGE in a few weeks, should all go well.  I'll probably post some final developer's notes in the near future, talking about the game's coding, design decisions, etc. - a big thanks to everyone who gave this game a test during this game's development!!

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 7