IGNORED

Harpy's Curse - A MetroidVania for the 7800

Revontuli

38 minutes ago, Albert said:

We've printed a poster for Harpy's Curse that will be included with the game!  This 10" x 14" poster features @BitJag's artwork on one side and a map of the first world on the back side.  I just received the posters today, and here's a photo!

HarpysCurse_Poster.jpg

That's all for now!  :)

..Al

:o I’ll have to rearrange my posters and fit this in. Such a cool poster.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew presents...

20231212-AtariAgeDay-HarpysCurse.thumb.jpg.100759eb7bf08a5e4e889cc4b6ef8ca4.jpg

Sun Dec 17, 2023 @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

On Sunday December 17, 2023 ZeroPage Homebrew will be interviewing the developers of every single new physical release coming to the AtariAge store! Join us LIVE on Twitch while we unbox all the new Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar and Lynx games and talk with the incredibly talented Atari community members about their games! Get your questions ready for the devs and following along in the Twitch chat as we pop in each of the 22 new releases into our Atari consoles!

NEW GAME RELEASES

Atari 2600: Berry Fun!, Bot&Tom, Caramujo, ElectroBall, Game of the Bear 2 Much To BearImmunity!, Penult, Quantum Tunnel, Robot Zed

Atari 5200: Scorch

Atari 7800: A.R.T.I., Death Merchant, E.X.O., Harpy's Curse, Millie and Molly, Oozy the Goo - Gaiden, Plumb Luck DX

Atari Jaguar: Defender of the Crown, Novagen Volume 1, Rocket Ranger
Atari Lynx: Growing Ties Deluxe, Odynexus

• Like 4

I didn't have a 7800 growing up, this meant that I went from the 2600 straight to the Atari Jaguar (outside of the 8-bit and 16-bit personal computers).  Working on this game, and playing some of the available builds has convinced me that I need to invest in this console just for this game.  It scratches a strange itch for me.  It's a great mix of Legend of Zelda and Joust, both games I enjoy.

Having the opportunity two work on the artwork and packaging for this game was quite satisfying as well, and it's work that I'm quite proud to have in my portfolio.  @Revontuli was a joy to work with!  With his and @Albert's valuable feedback and ideas, the final packaging came out beautifully.  I hope others enjoy it, along with the game as well.

Before it's release in the AtariAge store, enjoy this timelapse of the box art illustration, as well as some concept art for the harpy herself.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, BitJag said:

I didn't have a 7800 growing up, this meant that I went from the 2600 straight to the Atari Jaguar (outside of the 8-bit and 16-bit personal computers).  Working on this game, and playing some of the available builds has convinced me that I need to invest in this console just for this game.  It scratches a strange itch for me.  It's a great mix of Legend of Zelda and Joust, both games I enjoy.

Having the opportunity two work on the artwork and packaging for this game was quite satisfying as well, and it's work that I'm quite proud to have in my portfolio.  @Revontuli was a joy to work with!  With his and @Albert's valuable feedback and ideas, the final packaging came out beautifully.  I hope others enjoy it, along with the game as well.

Before it's release in the AtariAge store, enjoy this timelapse of the box art illustration, as well as some concept art for the harpy herself.

Beautiful 😍

• Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, BitJag said:

Wasn't it you who told me they just got a 7800 and was real excited?

11 hours ago, JagChris said:

Wasn't it you who told me they just got a 7800 and was real excited?

I don't believe so.  I still don't have a 7800, but I'll most likely pick one up once I have my copy of Harpy's Curse.

• Like 1

Does the game work on 2600+?
Sorry to be *that guy* who asks (people seem to criticise/be annoyed if you do). 

Shipping to Australia is a lot through anyone, I don’t have an 7800 and didn’t want to spend money on a game that doesn’t work. 

22 hours ago, Hawkangel said:

oes the game work on 2600+?

The 2600+ has had a couple of updates - I'm not able to test Harpy's Curse on the 2600+ personally but I believe that most 7800 games should work at this point (barring one or two like Rikki&Vikki and PETSCII Robots, both of which use *very* distinct ROM layouts).

I do know that getting the emulation working is very much a priority.  Games like EXO *do* work now (so Harpy's curse *should*), and there's an interest to get the homebrew stuff working as much as possible.

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2024 at 4:48 PM, Hawkangel said:

Does the game work on 2600+?

We just were able to update to the 1.1-REV2-Beta firmware and can confirm that it does work with a 7800 controller. (I used a RetroGameBoyz 7800 gamepad.) When we had a Joy2b+ gamepad plugged in, it did not seem to recognize it for input (unable to navigate the menu or anything).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a few videos - perhaps some hints and strategies for a few of my games.  To get started, I have a video of Harpy's Curse showing a pretty good route for getting started:

I haven't seen much gameplay online showing the basic "swoop" attack - folks seem to have had trouble figuring it out or using it in a lot of streams I've watched.  You press the attack button when in the air, above an enemy.  Birds of prey generally don't shoot or punch things, they usually fly above their prey, get them in their sights, and strike!

I wanted to show that the normal attack can be both useful and powerful with a bit of timing.  The harpy can be a menace even before grabbing any power ups! 

You can also change direction and cancel the swoop - leading to a few cases where it speeds up traversing the maze dramatically.

The route shows a heart extension, the Gorgon Feather, and a boss - again, a pretty good start to exploring the giant maze.

I also venture to say the game is very speedrunnable with various challenges (any%, 100%, no powerups, etc.) - I'm kind of curious how folks have faired if they've tried any playthroughs like that.

• Like 6