IGNORED

Missile Command: Recharged (2022 version) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

The new game was released 1 day earlier on Atari VCS, than other platforms.

Apparently, the latest recharged game, is all new, but shares an old title. 
Confusing, but good to see.

Link to the totally new Missile Command: Recharged game...
https://recharged.atari.com/missilecommand

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, RollOut said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the original Missile Command Recharged was not a pack-in, Atari Vault Vol 1 was. I'm pretty sure I paid for Missile Command Recharged.

I think that you are correct. It looks like it was made free initially for Indiegogo backers and then went to a paid version. From a reputable source:

On 10/11/2022 at 10:39 PM, stirrell said:

I think that you are correct. It looks like it was made free initially for Indiegogo backers and then went to a paid version. From a reputable source:

Unfortunately, I've never been able to determine when exactly Missile Command: Recharged went from free to purchasable. The - intention - I think was to start charging for it as of the June 2021 formal release of the VCS, and for backers as of that March 8th, but it remained free in the VCS Store for some undetermined amount of time afterwards. I kept meaning to check on it but then never did and by the time I did, it had been priced for some unknown amount of time. 

Edited by Mockduck

FYI: I would recommend anyone interested in retaining a copy of the old version to download it NOW before the updated version is released. It may well remain available long-term, but maybe not, so having a copy on your hard drive is probably the best way to keep it playable. I am making sure to grab some raw unedited video before the new one comes out for comparison, just in case I lose access to the old version. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mockduck said:

FYI: I would recommend anyone interested in retaining a copy of the old version to download it NOW before the updated version is released. It may well remain available long-term, but maybe not, so having a copy on your hard drive is probably the best way to keep it playable. I am making sure to grab some raw unedited video before the new one comes out for comparison, just in case I lose access to the old version. 

I've had this on the VCS since I've owned it and I just downloaded it to my cell phone the other day.  Much better game on mobile as it was originally designed for it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I bought it for $3 on the Switch a few days ago when I saw the announcement. If they follow typical mobile game logic, the original will probably vanish from all platforms soon. MC:R was never released on PS4, so I'll get the new version there and keep the original on the Switch in case the 'upgrade' is a forced replacement.

31 minutes ago, boog said:

I bought it for $3 on the Switch a few days ago when I saw the announcement. If they follow typical mobile game logic, the original will probably vanish from all platforms soon. MC:R was never released on PS4, so I'll get the new version there and keep the original on the Switch in case the 'upgrade' is a forced replacement.

Atari stated the new version is not a "forced upgrade".  The old version will simply disappear from the store and no longer be supported.  You still own, and can play the original if you still have it.  If you own the old version on console, Atari are offering you a $3 discount on the new one ($7 instead of $10).

Yeah, but my concern is that if you pay $7 to 'upgrade' then the new version might replace the original release. They might still allow both to be installed but no way to know yet. Keeping the original on Switch and the new version on ps4 guarantees I can keep both...

19 hours ago, justclaws said:

Atari tweeted on the subject - it's not an upgrade, it's an all new game.

Then tell them to call it MC: Recharged 2 cause I'm tired of remastered games having the exact same names as the originals...

AND buy the old version so you can get a discount on the new version. :)

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, GraffitiTavern said:

Looks like a solid improvement, almost kind of wished they just called it Missile Command Recharged 2 for clarity. Will it be free on VCS(since v1 was the pack-in game) or will you also need to buy the upgrade?

On 10/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, MrMaddog said:

Then tell them to call it MC: Recharged 2 cause I'm tired of remastered games having the exact same names as the originals...

AND buy the old version so you can get a discount on the new version. :)

Same thought, I wonder is there some averse reason to avoid just giving it a different title? What's the problem with easy numbering

I don't think you can purchase 2020 MC:R if you haven't at this point, but it's nice to see it around for those who did buy it. 

Yup, the list price for me was 6.99, presumably because the Store recognized my earlier purchase. (I would also thank whoever at the Store was being nice, though, and unlocked it for me. Didn't have to buy this one!)

• Like 3