IGNORED

Backbit Pro is now 2600 compatible

Solitaire01

Hey all - just spreading the word that Evie Salomon’s BackBit Pro flash cartridge has just had its 20th compatible system announced, and it’s the Atari 2600. For those unfamiliar with the BBPro, it’s a buy-once-use-everywhere flash cart enabled through swappable cartridge port adapters. I’m currently using it across a half dozen platforms. For multi-system collectors it’s a godsend. 

Cheers!

It’s all very new but here’s a copy paste from the announcement on her forum at backbit.io:

The adapter currently supports all originally-released titles, including Supercharger multi-loads and Pitfall II. Firmware can be expanded to support homebrew banking schemes as well if there is interest. Pitfall II music (via the emulated coprocessor) has been updated to be equal-temperament (easier on the ears).

The adapter requires a reset pin for optimum functionality, and plays nice with an Atari 7800 (although does not run 7800-specific titles).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This multisystem Adaptor is awesome! Does it have an autoload feature for a specific ROM?

I'm working on an Atari 2600 emulator for the C64 that recompiles the source to create standalone prg binaries. 

With the multi-system Adaptor technology, the same cartridge could be plugged into both systems and launch the game. 

There were phat carts released like this for the Color Computer II and III that ran an enhanced version of the game depending on which system you plugged the cart into.

Here is an Atari2600 and C64 example that could be a phat ROM cart with BackBit:

• 2 months later...

I wanted to report back that the backbit works great with the 2600! It is nice when I hit the reset on the cartridge that it brings me right back where it left off in the backbit selection screen.

Unfortunately, the Backbit does not work

with the cartridge modded Flashback 2. The backbit splash screen comes up but it hangs trying to list the menu. Hitting the reset on the Flashback brings it sometimes but when I try to load something, it just hangs.

The 2600 is one of those systems that can't be halted to communicate with BackBit, so the menu interface won't work without the reset pin. On my 2600 Jr, it crashes and restarts itself, so you can sometimes go without it, but I guess the implementation on the Flashback is different. Without the wire, you'll need to press reset after the startup screen, each time you change menu pages, and after you select a title. If that doesn't work, maybe there is a pin somewhere else that can trigger a cold reset.