IGNORED

It's painful to watch most YouTuber's playing Intellivision games

Virtualsky

If I'm sounding like I'm trying to be "superior", my apologies; that isn't my intention.  But, I just wanted to stand up on my soap box for a moment and say, I find it painful to watch the so many YouTubers out there making videos of themselves playing Intellivision games and appear to have no clue about what they're doing.  I don't know if they're just trying to be funny, attempting to focus on what they think are shortcomings in our classic Intellivision games, or if they just just don't know anything about games they're playing.

I'll give you an example: Triple Action.  I've watch a handful of videos now of "popular" YouTubers trying to play Triple Action.  Most of them, at some point, say "Now, how do I control my tank/plane?", or "how do I shoot?", or "I can't seem to select a one player game."  What kind of "game review" video am I watching here?  Where's the part about how you can set up your tank to shoot around corners?  Or how about the "secret" position on the screen that allows you to drive your tank off the screen and shoot at your opponent from beyond their reach?

What about one of my favorites, Tron Deadly Discs?  Where's the game review video that shows you that special place to stand that turns you invulnerable to all enemy discs?  Or how about the way that you can do "super auto-shots" (that's what I call them) in the games Astrosmash and Space Hawk.

I guess I'm just not finding the right Intellivision video game player on YouTube... the gamers who actually know how to play Intellivision games.

Anyway, I'll come down off of the soapbox now and end my rant.  If you know of some good Intellivision game players on YouTube, please let me know.

Edited by Virtualsky
spelling correction.
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, youxia said:

Call me old fashioned, but I still can't fathom why would I watch someone playing games when I can just do it myself.

Well, I guess I enjoy the reminiscing and seeing how others play the games... maybe pick up a tip or two.  Used to do this back in the day when friends would get together and play.  But, that's a difficult thing to do when the people making the videos don't know how to play the games.

Edited by Virtualsky
made a correction

@Virtualsky I understand where you are coming from.

I'm not interested either in seeing videos of people mishandling great games because they didn't care to do a 2 minute scan of the manual. Anyone can do lazy videos like those.

On the other hand, I highly respect YouTubers who do their homework. In my mind that shows respect both to the games and to the audience.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 3

Pole Position for multiple platforms is another one along the lines of what the thread creator is talking about. I swear that 3/4th's of the people that have uploaded video of this one up on YouTube never got out of low gear.

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Call me old fashioned, but I still can't fathom why would I watch someone playing games when I can just do it myself.

Not so much for classic games where it's easy to just try it for yourself, but I find it's a good way to judge if a modern game is worthy of purchasing. Looking up video is far superior for me than looking up opinion based reviews and such and has saved me quite a few dollars through the years.

The key is if the uploader is a skilled player or not. For instance someone that can't steer straight or ignores the brakes isn't a YouTuber that I can utilize their content in order to make a judgement on a racing game. The uploader needs to have at least basic competency for the game that they're trying to play for my system to work since a poor player can make even the best of games look lackluster.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I like this post because I've thought the same thing in the past....people who don't know how to play the games so they crap all over it.  There are still games that I have difficulty with, but many, I don't....  I guess that I'm hoping that I'm not in the group that Virtualsky is talking about. 

...It sounds like you'd enjoy Astrosmashed Mondays.... 👍

• Like 4

Hey @Papa Pete !  my fellow Canuck!  😃

It sounds like we're on the same page there.  Having difficulty with a game isn't the same to me as doing a "review" video about it, yet have no idea what the game is about or any idea how to play it.  Astrosmash Mondays sounds like something I would enjoy.  If you could share some details with me about it, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Virtualsky
  • Like 1

A few (many) years ago i set up the intellivision and had my niece (age eight) play it. I wish i had video'd it.

I had her play Tron, baseball, Carnival, and i think lock n chase. She threw the controller down and said "This is stupid".. and left the room.  I laughed so hard.

I think the only way you can get a good review of a retro system is to have someone from that era doing it. Then, they can appreciate it for what it is. Also, reading the manuals helps too.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, youxia said:

"old-fashioned", hehehe.

There's a time and a place for it, I think.  Personally, I prefer longplays or runs that don't have commentary; there's some really neat stuff out there if I'm looking for something specific.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

"old-fashioned", hehehe.

There's a time and a place for it, I think.  Personally, I prefer longplays or runs that don't have commentary; there's some really neat stuff out there if I'm looking for something specific.

I think watching people play is basically standing beside someone in the arcade and watching them play. It's just done in a different fashion today.

I get it feeling painful to watch someone play a game and not know how to control. I feel similar when someone plays SMB and doesn't use the run button. 😜 

• Like 2

I think it all depends on the concept of the video:

- if the goal is to make viewers discover a game, tell its "story", then you'd better do some research about it beforehand.

- if the goal is to discover the game "together with the viewers", it's relevant to play without knowing anything but it can be obviously painful (or very funny) to watch, especially if you know the game. It's pure entertainment in that case anyway. Not my cup of tea either but apparently, a lot of people like it.

• Like 5

I take all of these "gamer" YouTube people with a grain of salt.  Most of them are coming off the SNES, PS era of gaming that saw games created for multiple buttons and deeper storylines.  The games we played in the past were just that...a game.  Move, shoot, do something, win.  Not much fan fare (except Bomb Squad).  

But what many fail to point out, is that Intellivision games tended to be more cerebral and complex.  Once the Intellivioice came in, the games required more positive e interaction with the system.  Treasure of Tarmim (pretty much the first version of "Skyrim") have us a first 3D FPS to play that was easier and made heavy use of the controller.

That's never mentioned, is always the hum-drum and comparison to arcade games that they focus on.  Well, if Intellivision had some of the fantastic home brews offered as commercial release back then, it would have annihilated all versions of the Atari and certainly held its own against the Colecovision.   But alas...it was not meant to be.

On 10/10/2022 at 10:00 PM, youxia said:

I mentioned that to my kid once, and he replied  something to the effect of "why do people watch other people play football all day Sunday?"

Edited by First Spear
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 9:18 PM, Virtualsky said:

If I'm sounding like I'm trying to be "superior", my apo[snip]

Anyway, I'll come down off of the soapbox now and end my rant.  If you know of some good Intellivision game players on YouTube, please let me know.

I think a lot of Youtubers on the very young side "want to be an influencer" and think if they can't be outrageous and manufacture some emotions related to instant gratification, they can't be successful. It's more about "see me" as opposed to "see me having fun" in my limited experience. So I basically ignore them, especially when they can't get too far into game time without dropping F-bombs. Taking the time to play and make a valid critique of something isn't actually on the radar of most people playing game.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, First Spear said:

I mentioned that to my kid once, and he replied  something to the effect of "why do people watch other people play football all day Sunday?"

Can you play football as well as professional players, though? And don't tell me every Twitch gamers are professionals.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 6:18 PM, Virtualsky said:

Hey @Papa Pete !  my fellow Canuck!  😃

It sounds like we're on the same page there.  Having difficulty with a game isn't the same to me as doing a "review" video about it, yet have no idea what the game is about or any idea how to play it.  Astrosmash Mondays sounds like something I would enjoy.  If you could share some details with me about it, I'd appreciate it.

We do a show/live stream just on original Intellivision every (well...most)  Monday night at 7:00PM EST on the DJC Game Studios channel on YouTube.  It's Chuck from DJC, myself, and Jeff from Gogamego.  We also do a weekly Astrosmashed Monday's High Score Challenge, which is where many of my "Old Guys & Old Games" videos come from.  I hope to see you in the chat some day! Cheers! 👍

• Like 3