IGNORED

Looking for some game recs for games that do a particular graphic effect

sirlynxalot

There are some games in the 2600 library that have constantly changing colors on objects. I'm thinking about stuff like the ribbon on the left of the screen in Yars Revenge, the laser gates in Laser Gates, and the main enemy in SpaceMaster.

This rapid color change effect really impresses me visually for atari 2600 games. When I see it, especially on a black background, it really makes those games that have it "pop" and seem more complex graphically compared to more basic graphics in stuff like Combat or Street Racer. I haven't seen that sort of effect used frequently on other systems so to me it also feels like a quintessential Atari 2600 cool thing when I see it.  Accordingly, I'd like to check out more examples of the rapid color cycling, so I'm coming to the group here for suggestions of other games that have it.  Anything come to mind?

1 hour ago, Propane13 said:

Does the California Games attract screen count? 

Sorta I guess, I suppose there are several other games that have a rainbow effect in an opening logo, the atari 5200 and 7800 atari logo boot up screen on those systems games comes to mind, but I'm mainly interested in the rainbow effect when it is used in gameplay graphics.  🙂

Also looking at the California games thing, I'm not totally sure it's the same effect. The rainbow colors look like they stay in the same place and the effect appears to the eye that black lines pass over the static rainbow quickly. Not sure that's the same thing as laser gates or spacemaster where an object itself seems to cycle rapidly through a rainbow of colors.

Edited by sirlynxalot