IGNORED

The world is ready for Trevor McFur 2

Jag64

I've been modestly active for a spell or two, and best I can reckon, some people have animosity of varying degrees for other people and versa vice. There seems to be backstory/insinuations to a lot of comments of which I am blissfully ignorant. Also amusingly, a lot of those comments are probably not read by intended targets due to Ignore functions of site.

Like Jag64 brings me images of big boobs.* As a certified, card-carrying Gazonga Aficionado, I appreciate that. Other people don't like posts by that user for reasons that may be valid but I know Jack Bupkis about and don't care to know. Elephino.

* A mission failed thus far in this thread.

Edited by Editorb
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, mdkdue said:

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I was wondering if someone could enlighten me as to why there is so much toxicity on these forums?. So many posts just seem to have members insulting or criticising others. There also seem to be quite a number of egos on here who appear to look down on others.

For me it’s a real shame as I think the Jag homebrew community is definitely one of the most interesting out there. If there was just a little more humility and kindness shown amongst everyone I am sure that some great results could be achieved.

Anyway, just an observation. I’ll probably bare the brunt of the insults now!, I guess it is what it is.

Why would he think I'm referring to him? CJ always has to be the center of everything. I literally quoted Rush in that post.

Rush said that famous phrase he always used right before he hit you with double barrels of bullshit. And then proclaimed yep, doesn't get any better than that.

CJ said the opposite. If anything I think he'd have agreed with that post.

Rush can do whatever he wants with his code. And if he released it in that state as a love statement to the community then we'd be grateful. However those slimeballs wants to sell it.

If you're gonna set a dangerous precedent for the entire DOOM community you better be top notch. What your selling better AT LEAST match the performance of the latest 32X resurrection version at the time of release. Because they're getting that for free.

If you guys don't like jag64 put him on ignore. Put his threads on ignore. I promise you silence is Golden.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, alucardX said:

You have to have rights granted by the copyright holder(id Software) to sell DOOM. The engine is Free Software but the graphics, sound, etc are not. Someone could use the doom engine code and insert their own art, music levels and everything and then sell that without permission of id Software, but not DOOM.

Yes we all know this.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JagChris said:

Yes we all know this.

Am I misunderstanding something in what you wrote? It looked to me like you were upset that they were trying to get the rights to sell Doom to the Jag community. You're upset they're selling or you're upset they're trying to get the rights to sell?

If someone wants to buy a copy of Doom II on the Jaguar or a version of Doom I that is enhanced and has fixed bugs then the only legal way to do that is to have someone create those and license the rights from the copyright holder. I took your comments to mean that you were upset they were trying to do that. I'm not trying to be hostile but instead to understand what you meant.

3 hours ago, alucardX said:

Am I misunderstanding something in what you wrote? It looked to me like you were upset that they were trying to get the rights to sell Doom to the Jag community. 

Bingo. As should anyone with any sense.

You should re-read my post on Weasel Works interactive. It should be self explanatory.

Edited by JagChris

On 10/22/2022 at 7:28 PM, JagChris said:

Then I was telling him how one group took it to the next level. Knowing that the communities interest in JagDoom is nearly as big as it's interest in the Jaguar itself they decided to monetize nostalgia. Confident that after nearly 30 years of the community hoarding builds of DOOM they wouldn't be scooped they decided to become King of the Scumbags. 

In a first for any retro community with Doom in it they are trying to secure the rights to sell DOOM and it's derivatives to the community. There is truly no better metric to tell that a group is only out for itself and couldn't give a shit about the community. 

Is this the post you're referring to @JagChris?

You're taking issue with someone wanting to obtains a license for the rights to distribute copyrighted works? This is the way I'm taking it. Do you not want it distributed at all? Even if they don't charge money for these works they do not have the rights to distribute them gratis.

Am I missing anything here? Again, not attacking you and not trying to be hostile toward you.

16 hours ago, JagChris said:

Take the time to read that post, think about your question. Who has the rights to work on and distribute Doom gratis? Anyone? If not why do they still do it? How? etc etc

Take a couple days. 

No one has the rights to distribute Doom gratis.

You point out that they are trying to obtain rights to sell it. According to your posts this upsets you.

There really isn't any need to take a condescending tone @JagChris.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alucardX said:

No one has the rights to distribute Doom gratis.

In the strictest terms no one does.

But yet we have all sorts of builds and branches of Doom. Even toasters and notepad have versions of Doom for them. And now the 32X has Doom resurrection. 

I am sorry if it seems condescending but going any further would be repeating myself with a slight rewording to hand hold you through what should be obvious.

2 hours ago, JagChris said:

In the strictest terms no one does.

But yet we have all sorts of builds and branches of Doom. Even toasters and notepad have versions of Doom for them. And now the 32X has Doom resurrection. 

I am sorry if it seems condescending but going any further would be repeating myself with a slight rewording to hand hold you through what should be obvious.

What is obvious is that you seem to be okay with illegally distributing Doom, but not okay with legally distributing Doom.  ✔️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lost Monkey said:

What is obvious is that you seem to be okay with illegally distributing Doom, but not okay with legally distributing Doom.  ✔️

Damn Lost Monkey I never would have guessed you didn't understand how upgrades and mods like Doom resurrection worked. 

FFS. You can ship the doom engine and the shareware game data all you want without violating copyright. You have to have a license to ship the full game data or an engine binary without making the source available (copyleft). Everyone knows this. It's like you guys try to find things to disagree about by constantly talking past each other. You can ship the engine that will play the full game data if the end user provides it themselves, e.g. by buying it on steam and copying it over. I'm not clear if you can provide tools that mutate the full game data (e.g. repack it into partial versions or down sample textures to fit on a cartridge) as part of the copy, but no one's even tried to get down to such nuances yet because they're too busy trolling each other.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

I'm not clear if you can provide tools that mutate the full game data (e.g. repack it into partial versions or down sample textures to fit on a cartridge) as part of the copy, but no one's even tried to get down to such nuances yet because they're too busy trolling each other.

We have tools for that, its part of the slayer build.  I'd discuss it more, but JagChris will just fuck up the thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, JagChris said:

Yes. It's my fault. I wasn't aware Alucard wasn't aware of how the Doom mod community worked. Basically it's an engine upgrade to a copy you already own. 

Then they do not need permission from id to distribute those. They just need permission from the copyright holder for each mod. In this case probably a ROM patch.

Are you mad at them for asking id for permission for something they don't need permission for?

- OR -

Are they actually distributing Doom AND the ROM patch and they do need permission and you're mad about that?

- OR -

Are you angry because you think they shouldn't be distributing ROM patches for money at all?

Your original post just wasn't clear. One thing that is clear is that you'll be angry at me for having posted this.

47 minutes ago, JagChris said:

It will just have to remain unclear then. 

Every life needs a little mystery. 

Nice to see you're consistent.  You're as forthcoming with answering these types of questions as you are when tasked to provide quotes or evidence of your ridiculous and always wrong programming quotes.  You always have SO much to say until tasked with providing concise info or facts.

• Like 6