IGNORED

The world is ready for Trevor McFur 2

Jag64

Considered by many to be the best 64-bit horizontally-scrolling 2D shooter to release on any console in 1993 (no lies detected), Trevor McFur left some things to be desired - like being completed.

The game obviously wasn't everyone's "cup of tea," but it has its fans. I certainly enjoyed spending hours trying to saving the Crescent Galaxy from Odd-It.

It's time for a sequel.

SHgi4Cj.gif

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Astal4 said:

I'm pretty sure it's option 3, shitpost.

This guy's threads are always the same. 

Rather than just post a picture that he made and say "I made this. What do you think?" he feins interest in a game and accompanies it with a title and story of questionable veracity. 

Once he gets pulled up, level 99 sarcasm and passive aggressive clashes with well established members ensue!

Get your popcorn ready!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

So - are you coding the sequel to the game, or just posting some screenshots?

A "fan-made" sequel, but not on the Jaguar obviously. I don't have time to learn how to master the beast of a machine, and otherwise it'd just come out looking like all the other 68000 shovelware amateurs keep churning out. As I think most can see by my "art," I'm not even an artist, much less a programmer. But since writing games, especially something as simple as a space shooter, in ue4 is so easy, and graphics (cut scenes, animations, etc.) aren't "that" hard (even for me), I figured why not? Worst that can happen is I only learn some new things. Best that can happen is it ends up on the VCS and renews some interest in the original.

Edited by Jag64

27 minutes ago, Gummy Bear said:

This guy's threads are always the same. 

Rather than just post a picture that he made and say "I made this. What do you think?" he feins interest in a game and accompanies it with a title and story of questionable veracity. 

Once he gets pulled up, level 99 sarcasm and passive aggressive clashes with well established members ensue!

Get your popcorn ready!

🍿

This will be fun.

2 hours ago, Jag64 said:

A "fan-made" sequel, but not on the Jaguar obviously. I don't have time to learn how to master the beast of a machine, and otherwise it'd just come out looking like all the other 68000 shovelware amateurs keep churning out. As I think most can see by my "art," I'm not even an artist, much less a programmer. But since writing games, especially something as simple as a space shooter, in ue4 is so easy, and graphics (cut scenes, animations, etc.) aren't "that" hard (even for me), I figured why not? Worst that can happen is I only learn some new things. Best that can happen is it ends up on the VCS and renews some interest in the original.

Ahh - OK.  So you admit your art is shit, and you admit you cannot program.  yet you still feel the need to attack other members who are actually releasing product.  This makes perfect sense.  Thanks for clarifying this for everyone.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Ahh - OK.  So you admit your art is shit, and you admit you cannot program.  yet you still feel the need to attack other members who are actually releasing product.  This makes perfect sense.  Thanks for clarifying this for everyone.

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine, lol.

4 hours ago, Jag64 said:

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine, lol.

No - but I am rather bright.  Why would you expect to be treated nicely when you constantly spout off little gems such as "the other 68000 shovelware amateurs keep churning out."?  Just curious.  Also, I've marked my calendar with reminders so I can anxiously await your Unreal Engine created sequel to this game.  Maybe I'll see it before Hard Work releases Knight Rider for the 2600.

• Like 5

Now that the warm receptions are out of the way, I'm wondering if there are any other fans of Trevor McFur. If so, what were some of your favorite things in the game? What was your biggest gripe about the original, and are you looking forward to playing it again as part of the 50th Celebration release?

24 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Never played it. I better fix that.

It was one of the first games I got, along with Checkered Flag and Kasumi Ninja. So I leaned on Trevor for a lot of game time early on in my Jaguar playing days. I didn't learn until much later that it was BJ West's (Black Ice White Noise) first game. For some, it seems a little like Club Drive - in that they can't get past the bugs and hate it, or they're a fan. Me, being the weirdo I am, love it.

7 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Looks like a good starter project Jag64.  Except for trying to match the huge amount of frames of animation and rendered models.  Wrangling in huge amounts of assets has killed projects for me.

Will you be using JagStudio or just make a "play-alike" via Godot on the VCS?

Thanks. Currently a play-alike or homage. Building it in Unreal for the VCS at the moment. Doing textures in Photoshop, some meshes in Blender, the cinematics in After Effects, then Handbrake/converted before throwing them in. Already have the ship, level system, menu system in place to point the first level is playable. But it's just whirling asteroids coming at the ship perpetually right now. It's definitely a fun little project.

• Like 1

I like space ship shmups and I like the atari Jaguar, but Trevor mcfur is not a fave at all. There seems to be little thought put in to enemy placement and bullet patterns. I just feel like I'm playing a random demo put together with no particular concern for whether a player would find it to be fun. There's no good excuse here, good horizontal shooters like gradius and rtype already existed, so it's not like the developers couldn't check out that sort of competition and see if there were aspects that could make mcfur more fun.

I think the explanation for why it's so dire is down to a description I read about kasumi ninja - internal dev team and money allocated to the project was too small, combined with too short deadline for development, results in the dev team accepting sub par results and prototype graphics originally meant to be further enhanced as "good enough".

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

I think the explanation for why it's so dire is down to a description I read about kasumi ninja - internal dev team and money allocated to the project was too small, combined with too short deadline for development, results in the dev team accepting sub par results and prototype graphics originally meant to be further enhanced as "good enough".

Tale of the Jaguar library, sadly. I know there's always a tendency to "come down on" or blame the devs, but even the most diehard Tramiel loyalists know by now that their management hampered the games, and thus the Jaguar. Almost everyone here (definitely not all since you regularly see "diehard fans" on here oblivious about the arcade/console split in the 80s) knows the timelines were insane. Most have seen, or know first-hand of devs having incomplete games shipped that they said were not ready.

With Trevor McFur though, at least for me, it's that you can tell it was a tech demo. Like when you get any new engine, or some hardware manufacturers ship code snippets, examples, etc. with their dev kits. McFur looks like one of the most simplistic shooters, because the mechanics used are basic (as you noted), with a bunch of graphic demos on display. Considering BJ West is a graphics guy by nature, it all kind of adds up that you had a rookie programmer (by any major manufacturer standard) on a brand new piece of hardware that could make pretty images, and the game reflects that.

Something about Jaguar games are just endearing though. Take Bubsy's outing on the Jag; people that had the other Bubsy games on SNES and Genesis were not fans, complained about the floaty controls, and stuff. I love Fractured Furry Tales. Is Trevor McFur a great horizontal shooter? Not by any means, but it is certainly a game I enjoyed for many, many hours. Some people like checkers; some people like chess. As long as everyone has a game they enjoy.

I don't think Tickly McFubar has any customer base.  Those of us interested back in the day realized screenshots were much better than actual gameplay.

With an all original shooter you can create a game design that is actually doable.  Riffing off of an existing I.P. brings with it expectations (and possibly lawyers)

I'm not sure I understand the negative tone on this thread (I'm guessing old jaguar community drama :D), but @Jag64 why don't you post a gif or two of the playable level? I'm by no mean fan of the original McFur game, but I like the idea of trying to revive it and "fix it" with an unofficial sequel.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

I'm not sure I understand the negative tone on this thread (I'm guessing old jaguar community drama :D), but @Jag64 why don't you post a gif or two of the playable level? I'm by no mean fan of the original McFur game, but I like the idea of trying to revive it and "fix it" with an unofficial sequel.

For me the negative tone is not directed at Jag64: it is everything that would make his project fail.  Counting on fan excitement for an existing property is a trap.  Hoping that Atari wont sue is a trap.

I'd rather suggest he make his own shooter concept without baggage.  Get a finished project under his belt. 

Oh I totally get that. There is a thin line between hommage and IP infringement, although this can be a bit blurry sometimes. But starting a project as an unofficial sequel can be great for motivation, getting some push from the community, as long as you realized at some point that it's time to give your project its own personal touch... also getting it a new name probably :)

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 2