IGNORED

So I made a thing, but this lead to other ideas / questions beyond my ability (Dual Action Controller talk)

Hey so this something made and it's really simple.  let me know if you want me to make you one or if you have a 3D printer you can make one yourself...    $7 (including shipping / tracking)

1354523543_2022-10-1406_37_36.thumb.jpg.7572a301e4098fc4199a98d38f5e0a2f.jpg868748297_2022-10-1406_37_41.thumb.jpg.d5b960da28a1de1e4364bf7bd1700eeb.jpg

This is of course just my quick solution for making it easier for someone to play games like Tron Deadly Discs and AD&D with two controllers at once..  this works really well albeit certainly a bit "spacious" to achieve it, but it wasn't long before I was comfortably playing Tron and shooting and running at the same time :)

now on to the other idea...   no surprise, i learned about an item that already exists..  but i'm not sure it's even a thing that could be bought now..  as the review video was from 5 years ago..   the dual action controller..  slick..  neat..  no idea how much it cost or if it's available anymore..  so it got me thinking..  and this is where i turn to the geniuses in this group like @DZ-Jay and all you other smarty pants :)

Is it possible that a sears or intellivision II single controller could have a cable that splits the single output of the one controller to send to controller 1 and 2 ports on the console and route only disc press to controller 1 and all the other button presses (or if we're splitting hairs, the key presses on the number pad?

I'm just thinking of a way that could be easier / cost effective / not require an entire controller to be rewired tediously to do this.  However, maybe the way the signals are sent through the DB9 adapter the 9 pins are all interwoven and signals from disc and button presses are all intermingled in such a way that this isn't practical?  

• Like 3

That controller coupler looks great.  It's a good solution, everyone should have one.

It's not possible to do that with one standard controller.  The keypad shares circuits with both the disc and side buttons and that can't be separated externally.  You'd have to have a custom flex circuit in the controller with 16 wires coming out.  The dual action controllers were created by putting two flex circuits within one controller housing.

The new controller by Côté Gamers has this feature built-in.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

That controller coupler looks great. 

Thanks, I was very pleased with it.  Seems to hold firm and doesn't harm the controllers 

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

It's not possible to do that with one standard controller. 

OK I kinda figured that was the case.  Even if it was possible, I couldn't imagine I'd be able to make one.

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

The new controller by Côté Gamers has this feature built-in.

the sideways one?  wow that's pretty awesome.  I'll have to look into getting one of those.  You mean the long play one right?  Seems it's not widely available though, probably missed that bus on that one, but i'll see if i can get in line.  

So with this controller, its it one plug on the back or does it have two cables like the dual action controller?   it doesn't mention it in the product page.  

Also I do have to say for this particular issue (dual action) I wonder how comfortable that controller would be.  having to reach over the fire buttons to press the keypad looks like it might actually be a bit less comfortable than this clip approach.  

Though regardless of that it's a neat idea.  I'd probably want one just because of the layout for the fire buttons.  Let's face it.  the side buttons were never comfortable for extended playing

https://cotegamers.com/shop/en/accueil/136-long-play-disc-controller.html

The Côté Gamers controller has a socket in the controller to connect a second cable.  They still have to switch some circuits to the other cable, not sure how they do that.

I was wondering the same thing about the horizontal layout and the keypad in the centre.  Would it work well with games where the keypad is the primary input, e.g. MLB, NBA, Boxing, AD&D, Night Stalker, Deadly Discs.  Either way, it's still a great idea.  Looking forward to people's feedback.

Edited by mr_me

2 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I got a shipping notice on my Long Play controller. 

Is this something locked for further orders or can one be done through atari age still?   the store front says they are not taking orders on their store (which is weird, why bother listing it with a price?) so yea i'd still be willing to get one of these but not necessarily as a silver bullet solution for dual action games..   i think they could have made it different if that was really an intended feature.  the buttons could have been closer to the number key  to have less reach over.. but regardless it's cool.   

38 minutes ago, Caleb Garner said:

Is this something locked for further orders or can one be done through atari age still?  

I think you are good when you asked in the other posting.  Once they reach you on the very long list they will tell you to place the order on the store.  Probably next year sometime.

55 minutes ago, Caleb Garner said:

.... so yea i'd still be willing to get one of these but not necessarily as a silver bullet solution for dual action games..   i think they could have made it different if that was really an intended feature.  the buttons could have been closer to the number key  to have less reach over.. but regardless it's cool.   

It's smaller than it appears.  It might be fine for keypad games unless you have small hands.  We'll see.

27 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Probably next year sometime.

that's more than fair.  no rush, just want to not miss out altogether.   I specified that 1. i have a sears model (DB8) and I want typical configuration (disc on left).  Are there any other particulars they would need to know?   I would want the dual action (two db9 ports per controller) option, but is that standard or something requested?  

I know having TWO connected at once wouldn't allow dual action controller, but i figured, one, to have a spare would be nice.. and two, for two player games that don't benefit from dual controller action (like lock 'n chase) I'd still love to have two controllers with this configuration.  

Edited by Caleb Garner