IGNORED

Spiker ain't really all that and a bag of chips, is it?!?!?!

TeddyBear89

Please let me preface this post with a truly heart-felt comment:

I am very thankful to BSR for releasing Spiker in CIB form a few years back.  It was a beautiful reproduction that I was very happy to purchase as I have no interest in a flash cart or spending the needed cash for the original cartridge.

But now that I have spent about five solid hours with this game in both modes (2 on 2 and the gym mode) I am really starting to wonder...who would pay $1K for this original cartridge?  Not a bad game, maybe I am not too acquainted with volleyball nuances but I'd rather play Slap Shot! than this cart.  It just isn't that interesting of a game.  Certainly it is a very competently programmed game but in the end...it is just meh.

I LOVE Slam Dunk, Super Pro Football, World Championship Baseball and Mountain Madness so I am well aware that plenty of INTV sports game rock but with Spiker.....I just don't see it.

20 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

Please let me preface this post with a truly heart-felt comment:

I am very thankful to BSR for releasing Spiker in CIB form a few years back.  It was a beautiful reproduction that I was very happy to purchase as I have no interest in a flash cart or spending the needed cash for the original cartridge.

But now that I have spent about five solid hours with this game in both modes (2 on 2 and the gym mode) I am really starting to wonder...who would pay $1K for this original cartridge?  Not a bad game, maybe I am not too acquainted with volleyball nuances but I'd rather play Slap Shot! than this cart.  It just isn't that interesting of a game.  Certainly it is a very competently programmed game but in the end...it is just meh.

I LOVE Slam Dunk, Super Pro Football, World Championship Baseball and Mountain Madness so I am well aware that plenty of INTV sports game rock but with Spiker.....I just don't see it.

This is blasphemous!

My Spiker! cartridge must be rolling over at this moment,in its box complete, with a plastic box protector right now.

How dare you!!!

Edited by wolfy62
Added content
  • Haha 3

On most platforms, the rarest, most expensive games are terrible.  This is part of the reason they didn't sell well.

Spiker is an exception to this.  While not my absolute favorite to play, I enjoy it quite a bit.  However, it is reasonable that not everyone is going to love it.

• Like 7

I think it's a quality game and would rank among the better Intellivision cartridges.  It's a decent implementation of volleyball and even uses the keypad appropriately.  One of the better efforts from INTV Corp.

I got my copy on the Intellivision Lives CD, which were readily available used.  So as a game, they have little value in today's market.

Edit:

I'll just add that World Championship Baseball was developed at Mattel.  Mountain Madness, Super Pro Football, Slam Dunk, Slap Shot are modifications of Mattel cartridges, and, except Mountain Madness, I have issues with the changes made by INTV.  Like Spiker; Chip Shot, Decathlon, Body Slam, SMB, Pole Position are other examples of cartridges all developed through INTV Corp.  Some hit, some miss.

Edited by mr_me

Ive had many Spiker games pass through my hands over the years. The most i payed was about $380 back in 2002 or 2003? I cant speak for anyone else but imo the high price of the game doesnt mean its a good game (although i do enjoy it, being a sports nut). The price reflects the Rarity of the original game for collectors. Not many were sold as this was the last game INTV released before/during their shut down. Collectors know this and will pay to have their collections complete (most of the time).

Its more of a collection thing than gamer thing. Thats just what i see.

• Like 3

Collectors......yes I certainly get that.  I think what my real and pretty much uninteresting point was is that it is hard to reconcile Spiker's value with the actual game play.  I get the rarity and holy grail mystique but when I finally got to really sit down and dig in it I was underwhelmed but glad to have had the experience.   Off hand, I can only think of Bounty Bob Strikes Back on the 5200 as an example of a rare and excellent game but sure there are others that fit the description.

One thing that would be a huge improvement on Spiker is if the ball wouldn't "float" for so long on volleys.......

Thanks for not banning me on the Intellivision AA Forum for blasphemous prose.

• Haha 2

On 10/20/2022 at 8:39 PM, BBWW said:

Now you are just showing off!🤣

I was ordering all the games as soon as INTV released them. So I was paying $20 a game for each new release. Those were the days. 

(The catalog scans in the library on Intellivision.US are from my personal collection --except for the Trade N Play from Canada). 

One thing i will say is that i wish the gameplay was a little faster. It is pretty slow sometimes but i do enjoy the game itself. 

Now if anone ever decides to "Hack" it and make a Super Pro version (it would need to be called "Spiker Super Duper Pro Volleyball..lol), maybe they could update some of it.

Like... quicker gameplay, faster ball movement, more team colors, and maybe making upgradable players? That would be neat.