IGNORED

My first Jaguar repair: replacing controller ports

D.F.

Hi everybody, first time Jaguar owner, first time poster. I look forward to hanging out here and discussing the fun yet bizarre console known as the Jaguar!

I'll start out by describing my first repair... I purchased a used Jaguar for a price lower than most go for, then discovered that my Right D-pad button didn't work. After some troubleshooting I found that it did work if I provided a little upward strain where the controller cable plugs into the console. Then I took a closer look at the port itself and was shocked at its condition (photo attached)! As an experiment I desoldered both ports and moved port #2 (which was a lot cleaner) over to the position where port #1 was on the motherboard. It worked! Obviously the port was mangled enough to be faulty. Then I looked around the Intarwebz and eventually found a similar looking part at Mouser:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/523-7HDE15SDH4RHNVGA

I ordered a handful of these, as they were less than $2 a piece. The next step is to solder one of these in the spot for controller port #2. I'll let you know if it works. Anyone else have problems with these ports? In my ~30 years of console gaming I've never had one with this particular issue.

jaguar_port.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, D.F. said:

Good call, thank you! And somewhat unfortunately, the hard plastic in the connectors is blue 😕 Not that I'm some purist but it will look a little bizarre with one black and one blue.

Not with a controller plugged into one or two of the ports.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, D.F. said:

Good call, thank you! And somewhat unfortunately, the hard plastic in the connectors is blue 😕 Not that I'm some purist but it will look a little bizarre with one black and one blue.

Could always replace both with the blue. Then they'd match. And 10 years from now after you've sold it, the buyer will come to this forum to see if he has a special local 😉

• Like 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:55 PM, neo_rg said:

Whereabout are you based as I have a small stash of the correct ones.

Used them to fix a proper controller port problem.. lol

IMG_20200511_161613.jpg

That's awesome! Where in the heck did you find the black ones? I searched for hours! And holy moly you had some dirty ports. Shall I assume it's rust or some other kind of spill?

I live in St. Louis, Missouri. I went ahead and soldered on the blue component, it's really not that bad looking. Sadly I don't have any two player games yet, nor a second controller with which to test (like I said, pretty new to the scene); but aside from color the part is identical! I'll probably end up sticking with the blue if it ends up working properly. But if anything should happen... are you willing to sell one?

And BTW I do have four extra blue controller ports. If anyone wants one, just hit me up!

• Like 1