IGNORED

Ebivision?

Doran

If anyone can be kind enough to "donate" any of the Ebivision ROMs privately (especially Pacman), then please do (apart from Merlin's Walls which I have) ;)

I don't think Pacman is "out" (at least I don't have it) but you should be able to find the rest with a little searching.

Mitch

...but you should be able to find the rest with a little searching.

AFAIK, except for Merlin Walls, the Ebivision ROMs are not "out there".

They're still pretty much in the closet. They could use a good outing though.

...but you should be able to find the rest with a little searching.

AFAIK, except for Merlin Walls, the Ebivision ROMs are not "out there".

Interesting, because I know I downloaded them from somewhere. :D

Mitch

Yeah but "Power Off!" is something like four years old by now.

They probably gave everyone the finger for always wanting everything for free. :ponder:

Seriously, it's always "where is the ROM" and "dump it, so I can download it". :roll: One of the reasons why I didn't finish the game I was writing for the 5200. :|

Seriously, it's always "where is the ROM" and "dump it, so I can download it".  :roll: One of the reasons why I didn't finish the game I was writing for the 5200.  :|

I perfectly understand here. Always a problem with people wanting something for nothing. And normally I try to get carts where possible to be able to play them. But with the Ebivision games being so damned hard to find in the first place (I've only got Merlin's Walls myself and have missed out on getting Pesco and Allia by inches) is the reason I actually have to ask you kind people here so I can at least play the games! And yes I looked hard and couldn't find them.

Btw didn't someone recently post a PAL conversion of Ebi Pacman to download somewhere on AA?

Yes, I know about power off, and I'm lucky enough to have all the ebi games, I bought them all, so I'm something of a supporter. I just meant what happened to them in that it seemed like they were working on new stuff that looked awesome and I am patiently hoping to hear SOMETHING...

I would have bought Ebivision's games back in the day, but to tell you the truth, after finding them on the net, my policy in the last few years of not buying any Atari game before I play it in emulation is entirely borne out. :P

I would, once again, encourage anyone considering embarking on an Atari 2600 development project with the intention of only releasing it in cart form and forbidding people from distributing the ROM to not bother.

I would have bought Ebivision's games back in the day, but to tell you the truth, after finding them on the net, my policy in the last few years of not buying any Atari game before I play it in emulation is entirely borne out. :P

I would, once again, encourage anyone considering embarking on an Atari 2600 development project with the intention of only releasing it in cart form and forbidding people from distributing the ROM to not bother.

I agree that it's nice to try a game before you buy it and I always encourage homebrew authors to release the binaries. I'm sure some sales are lost this way to people who have a Cuttle Cart, don't mind just playing the game via emulation (especially with something like the Stelladaptor), or make their own carts, but I also know that many people buy the game only after trying it out first. I think it also helps spread the word about a game, as people are more likely to remember it if they were able to play it first. Especially for projects where the author releases development versions frequently.

I'd love for the Ebivision authors to release their binaries, but I respect their wishes not to do so and I would not nag them about it. Eric and Igor are kind of unique when it comes to writing homebrew games, as they pretty much keep to themselves, periodically releasing a new game with little advance warning.

..Al

• 6 months later...
So there's nowhere to d/l the Ebivision version of Pac-Man?? :sad:

It doesn't live up to the hype.

As I remember, the sound was minimal and there was no real dying animation, if that's what you mean by it not living up to the hype.

The goal of the Pac-Man project was to do a better Pac-Man...

...in 4K.

It's certainly better than the official Pac-Man. But no, it's not as good as it can be on the 2600.

If they did it in 8K like Ms Pac Man or certainly in 16K w/Superchip like Jr. Pac Man then all the flourishes, the animations, the intermissions, the sounds, could easily have been included.

Heck, even if were a 6K Supercharger game, that would probably have been enough headroom to add in the missing pieces.