IGNORED

What video game system did you buy BITD that ended up being a terrible purchase?

Frozone212

17 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm sorry you guys had such a bad experience with the Wii U; mine was so different is almost sounds like we had different systems. Maybe because I mostly bought Nintendo games that were usually great and not buggy at all (and are now very popular on the Switch anyway). If you got it mainly for third party games, I can understand the letdown...

But I think the asymmetrical nature of the system made it great to play with children; my nephew and niece loved the Zelda game from Nintendo Land (and Game & Wario too), and they were actually disappointed not to find similar experiences on the Switch.

I largely did just get first party games, but I also if memory serves had ZombiU, NFS (EA's last ditch release a year later), ME3, and a few others, but largely it was just Nintendo property.  The menu drove me nuts trying to just get around it taking forever just stuck by the screen for like the first 2 years.  The games were fun and all, but didn't feel other than HD like a leap over what Wii had which was kind of sad really.  3DS seemed to get the better support by clearly third parties but also Nintendo.

3 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Big and empty. Zelda eventually came out--and it was basically a reskin of mario.

If you want to get technical, I do believe it runs on the same engine as Mario 64, so calling it a reskin is not entirely inaccurate. I have never played Mario 64, though, so I am unaware of how similarly (or not) they actually play.

Ocarina of Time when in development was built using the Mario 64 engine. They re-used and largely re-tooled that as a starting point for the game.  Obviously they did a lot more given you didn't just have large floating square platforms in space to put structures on, and yeah, Mario could jump, hang from ledges, etc that Link couldn't.  They took a very good engine, dumbed down the mechanics a bit too much, then built a more capable to explore larger world around it.  I guess the floating square world is still there, just hidden, when you'd hit a map edge and fade to the next it was one cube to the next, unlike Mario where you'd get your star, peel out, and go elsewhere.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who despised the Wii u but I just realized that the limited edition Mario kart 8 for it that I stood in line at launch night for at Nintendo world is now worth about about 3000 dollars. There were only 350 made so it's kind of nuts. I didn't realize it had any value until like a year ago. I gotta sell it but I'm not sure how.  So I guess I don't regret the Wii u if I can sell the game.  

That said, don't be mad, but the Atari jaguar. It wasn't new, bought it at a game store for I think 100 or 150 back in the early 00s.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2022 at 4:06 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Oh I forgot one. The 3ds xl. Horrible ergonomics.  Then I bought the new 3ds and had the same issue. Didn't have that at all with the ds and the ds lite.  It was then I realized I didn't enjoy handheld gaming at all.  I couldn't even play them in public without feeling shame and embarrassment too lol.

I had the opposite problem, the DS led to cramp city, especially playing mario kart. While the 3DS XL gave my hands room to breathe a bit more.

On 11/2/2022 at 12:39 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Don't get me started again . But the Wii U.   And how pissed and angry I was when I transferred my digital classic eShop games from the Wii only to find out you couldn't transfer them back! The Wii u had shittier visuals for the eShop games and u can't play them in rgb on a CRT. F Nintendo. They lost me as a lifeline fan after that steaming dung pile of a console.  Everything about it makes me barf. All the wires and gadgets and ugly sheen that scratches so easily. Horrible UI that sounds like a mental retreat. Blech.

At least it had Splatoon!

I'd have to say the PS4. I know lots of people loved it but I couldn't find much that I couldn't get on PC aside from a pretty bad Godzilla game and Bloodborne and frankly I found that game pretty frustrating. I didn't live in the 8-bit and 16-bit days where there were millions of consoles to choose from lol.

The Virtual Boy was hot garbage. And even though I had fun with the N64, I really envied my friends who had the PS1 instead. Other than that, I'd say both the DS and PSP were major disappointments. I moved on from contemporary gaming after that back to the real joy: classic gaming.

Not contemporary, but I'd say my worst retro purchase was the Super Cassette Vision. I had never gotten rid of a machine faster than that one. I also had buyer's remorse from picking up a NGCD that ended up not working. That was a ten year headache trying to get it fixed. Ended up selling it just recently.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I would say that the system I got back in the day that I didn't like was the OG Game Boy.  In retrospect, it was a good little system.  But, what I really wanted was an Atari Lynx.  I eventually got it and then had to get rid of the Game Boy, which I still have no regrets doing as I really loved the Lynx and still has a special place in my heart for it.

• 2 weeks later...

The only system I ever got that ended up being a disappointment was the Atari Jaguar.  Don't get wrong, I loved it at first and had a blast playing Cybermorph, Raiden, and Alien vs Predator.  I was hungry for more games, but it became increasingly difficult to find any for sale.  The last couple of games I got for it were Kasumi Ninja (ugh) and the Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (an improvement over Kasumi Ninja, but still ugh).