IGNORED

The Last Ninja

rdefabri

@jhusak I think it goes without saying... A big thank you for this port and your efforts/commitment. Without people like yourself either coding new games and/or porting existing games to the A8, the future of the Atari scene would not look so good. I'd love to have your skills and be able to code for the A8. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

22 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

I know what you mean but I think the idea was to be true to the original port. 

Don't consider my initial posting as a complaint. It just reminded me on my envy at mid of the eighties when C64 got so many better ports but then I remembered the end of the eighties where a8 did't even get a port at all so I am glad that at least this version exists.

Perhaps I am just spoiled by Prince of Persia that was based on bbc source code as well but got so much better in the end.

2 hours ago, patjomki said:

Don't consider my initial posting as a complaint. It just reminded me on my envy at mid of the eighties when C64 got so many better ports but then I remembered the end of the eighties where a8 did't even get a port at all so I am glad that at least this version exists.

Perhaps I am just spoiled by Prince of Persia that was based on bbc source code as well but got so much better in the end.

Ah no worries, I actually didn't think you were complaining and totally agree it is great when the port is maxed out to take advantage of the A8. Was just pointing out I don't think that was the goal here with this particular port. (Again want it reiterate it's a great, faithful port by all accounts. (I never saw the others in the 80s)). 

Yes absolutely Prince of Persia is an amazing port and in that instance it plays massively to the A8's strengths. I love the animation, sound effects, etc etc. 

But yeah, this port of Last Ninja 2 is a great achievement and great to have in the A8 library. I am gonna enjoy playing it over Christmas. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

The Last Ninja series is a Marmite type of game, I'll use the C64 as it was the original version. It looks and sounds great, but then you get the pixel perfect stuff that can be annoying and the fighting system just annoys me, trying to get the exact angle and placement to kick or punch is a pain as is knowing that unless you get it spot on the opponent will land a load more blows than you. Clearly it was enjoyed by many, it turned into a multi machine series. The Atari version I think I saw that it was based on the BBC code, I presume the BBC version had little or no music which is a shame, it's really part of the essence of the game. Thankfully, the Atari version had a rock solid main theme, and it plays very well, so the creators should be proud. The combat (for me suffers the original mechanic, BUT that is not the programmers of this port's fault, they were being faithful).

I think it's a really good port, it does all the things it should. I do however wonder if the C64 version would have been do-able on the Atari?

But, if I want to play that, I can just load it up on my C64..It's all good...

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

[...]so I'll wait patiently to see what he comes up with[...]

I don't get it. Why so much hate at this time of the year?

Like I said: "Don't take my initial post as a complaint. [...] so I am glad that at least this version exists [...]".

I really appreciate the work that had to be done for this port.

Perhaps it is because I am not a native speaker of the english language that I've been misunderstood?

Edited by patjomki

The post is in support both groups, for the great port we now have, and waiting patiently for the one people are talking and theorizing about. I will continue enjoying the one we have right now ;)

Nothing to hate if we are getting two ports as that's twice as nice!

Edited by _The Doctor__

8 hours ago, oky2000 said:

What happened to the port of the original game, I remember seeing mock-ups for the A8 by Jose a very long time ago.

Nobody was ever working on a port of it (from a coding standpoint). Jose was seeing what kind graphics he could come up with, and scoping for an interested coder. It was a kinda long thread (multiple threads, actually), because this was when Jose was still learning about some of the intricacies of the system and what the system was capable of from a coding standpoint; so, there were a lot of suggestions coming from various coders and pixel artists.

4 hours ago, MrFish said:

Nobody was ever working on a port of it (from a coding standpoint). Jose was seeing what kind graphics he could come up, and scoping for an interested coder. It was a kinda long thread (multiple threads, actually), because this was when Jose was still learning about some of the intricacies of the system and what the system was capable of from a coding standpoint; so, there were a lot of suggestions coming from various coders and pixel artists.

That's how all of his projects started though really ;) Thanks for the update though.

Nice work on port from bbc guys! Thanks for that Christmas present :)

Playing that I remembered old idea I had years ago to do isometric gfx in gtia mode. Then I remembered it's new years disc time, so a small project was born :)
For those who haven't seen it in nyd topic here is my contribution called "ninja" :)

This is just a small demo how game could've looked in more than 4 colors.

ninja.xex

• Like 8

1 minute ago, popmilo said:

Nice work on port from bbc guys! Thanks for that Christmas present :)

Playing that I remembered old idea I had years ago to do isometric gfx in gtia mode. Then I remembered it's new years disc time, so a small project was born :)
For those who haven't seen it in nyd topic here is my contribution called "ninja" :)

This is just a small demo how game could've looked in more than 4 colors.

ninja.xex 35.6 kB · 0 downloads

Wow, that Ninja is a huge mofo. :D

Thanks for that, mate... 

What's the trick for getting more colors in there?

55 minutes ago, Steril707 said:

Wow, that Ninja is a huge mofo. :D

Thanks for that, mate... 

What's the trick for getting more colors in there?

Yeah, he's little beefier than in original game :)

It's just graphics mode 10 (hires bitmap + gtia mode turned on in 9 colors). Any pixel can be chosen from palette of 9 colors. Scanlines doubled so it's 96x100 resolution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

Yeah, he's little beefier than in original game :)

It's just graphics mode 10 (hires bitmap + gtia mode turned on in 9 colors). Any pixel can be chosen from palette of 9 colors. Scanlines doubled so it's 96x100 resolution.

How costly is this on RAM? Would this need to reload a lot? :)

1 hour ago, Steril707 said:

How costly is this on RAM? Would this need to reload a lot? :)

100x48=4800 bytes for screen.
One sprite that large is 6x39 = 234 bytes which is not small ammount.
9 frames per direction  + shifted frames for faster drawing ~20kb... And that's just main player without kicking, punching, jumping etc... 
So yeah it can be a lot, but on the other hand with expanded memory or cartridge it's not at issue at all imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmilo said:

100x48=4800 bytes for screen.
One sprite that large is 6x39 = 234 bytes which is not small ammount.
9 frames per direction  + shifted frames for faster drawing ~20kb... And that's just main player without kicking, punching, jumping etc... 
So yeah it can be a lot, but on the other hand with expanded memory or cartridge it's not at issue at all imho.

Phew, okay. That's a lot.

Can you save a bit (pun intended) with RLE or something like that maybe? 

Or just use HUUUUUGE carts then, like you said.

I don't know, i always feel wrong when I do that, must be my retro coder thinking. lol.

Edited by Steril707

2 hours ago, Steril707 said:

Phew, okay. That's a lot.

Can you save a bit (pun intended) with RLE or something like that maybe? 

Or just use HUUUUUGE carts then, like you said.

I don't know, i always feel wrong when I do that, must be my retro coder thinking. lol.

Sure. Plenty of repeating bytes, pixels. 

For example it would be enough to use 2bits per pixel for ninja sprite. Instead of 4 I'm wasting now.