IGNORED

First-time owner of a 7800. Have a few questions.

shigs42

Yes the Best PS is notched. But even the right way its still a tight fit, notch down.

RCA rf modulator, it feels snug, doesn't seem to wiggle. Dunno about spinning, can't get the round thing to spin console side but may be misunderstanding you.

Preliminary cleaning, only slight pic improvement. Will keep at it however sound is white noise. No game sounds whatsoever.

I don't think reset button works. I hit it, nothing. I need to poke at this some more. 

Power button seems ok now.

Ok. Buttons work. Picture only slightly better than initially posted.

Game sounds can be heard along with white noise.

Controller doesn't work. In Phoenix, shields and right button fire works. Left and right doesn't work.

Will try different rf connector in a couple days.

Its a pretty little shiny black console though. 😍

• Like 1

I took.my 7800 to the game store had them hook up to a CRT. With another cable. Original cable seemed bad. New one got a picture. You bump it it goes wonky at the shop. At home it just faded from good to bad. Bumping made no difference. I guess the unit needs some service.

I can get the parts. This is gonna be a process I guess.

• Like 1

So I figured out what was wrong with my 7800. I let it sit a day or so and sat down to try it again.

It started out clear but then started to fade out again I thought this was odd So I wiggle the back connector. Nothing. I thought okay that's not making any difference it's almost like something is failing or giving out. And I remembered I was using an old jaguar RF connector with the auto switch box. That is supposed to turn on/ off the connection automatically when power/signal is going through it.

So I gave that little box a good beating and the picture came in clear. It has to be hung a certain way for connections wonky in there I don't know what's going on. I have 2 of them both of them displaying the same symptoms. However it seems that the RF on my 7800 console itself is fine.

1673516175409530468293573503978.jpg

3 hours ago, JagChris said:

It has to be hung a certain way for connections wonky in there I don't know what's going on.

I have a pretty good guess. As there is mechanical stress in the connector and it works in certain orientation it sounds like a broken solder. I would put new solder on all parts that are either a connector or a switch in the "wonky" box. Actually any large component in there could benefit of a re-solder.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JagChris said:

And I remembered I was using an old jaguar RF connector with the auto switch box. That is supposed to turn on/ off the connection automatically when power/signal is going through it.

I never had good results with those auto switchers.  They need a particularly strong video signal.  Try using a manual switcher, or even better, use one of those RCA to F connectors for a direct connection to the TV and you'll be surprised at the improvement.

30x3-03220.jpg

https://www.cablewholesale.com/products/coaxial-cable/rca-coax-connectors/product-30x3-03220.php

• Like 1