IGNORED

Atari 50th Anniversary Collection

DrVenkman

4 hours ago, snicklin said:

I haven't downloaded the game set on my PS5 yet but I guess they used the 5200 version as I guess there are no keyboard based actions required.

As discussed above, Digital Eclipse created a controller-based method of switching between forward and aft views, toggling shields, computer, galactic map, etc. Works very well without need of a keyboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

As discussed above, Digital Eclipse created a controller-based method of switching between forward and aft views, toggling shields, computer, galactic map, etc. Works very well without need of a keyboard.

Is that the only way to play the game though? What if someone preferred to play with an old style stick and keyboard commands?

10 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Is that the only way to play the game though? What if someone preferred to play with an old style stick and keyboard commands?

As I told you last week, I don’t use a USB joystick, so I don’t know. Someone else might be able to answer you. 

26 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

As I told you last week, I don’t use a USB joystick, so I don’t know. Someone else might be able to answer you. 

I quoted you, but it wasn't necessarily meant for just you. I was sort of hoping one of the other 50 people that are on this thread might know. Sorry about that.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I quoted you, but it wasn't necessarily meant for just you. I was sort of hoping one of the other 50 people that are on this thread might know. Sorry about that.

I have this on my PC via Steam and I use a PS4 controller.  I can try to see what controller options there are - I've slowly been making my way through the timeline and watching all the videos.  I am hoping I can find the cause of my random pauses in both video AND gameplay.  Frustrating as hell as nothing should bring this machine to a halt, especially Pong.

19 hours ago, JLsoft said:

Also, 'Swordquest - Airworld' isn't an actual 2600 game, it's a custom made-to-look-like-it-is-on-the-2600 standalone.

Yeah, they said it was going to be.

2 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Well if you're playing it on PC, you can control it almost any way you can imagine.

You might need some custom software/drivers, but it can always be done.

Edited by Asaki

I think I'll end up getting it on a console. Rather than do weird fixes to get the trackball working okay on PC, I would just use an emulator directly. Maybe I'll get it today. Looks like they did a pretty good job with it. It's awesome that Yoomp! is included. Many others should have been included, but I'll take what I can get!

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I do recommend folks not overlook the "reimagined" games, especially VCTR SCTR and NEO BREAKOUT. They are a blast. QUADRATANK and the Haunted House-inspired title (can't recall the name) are solid as well. 

Agreed. The updates are perfect. Fun progressions and not too glitzy or over polished. Going to jump into the console line before finishing the arcade line. Oh yeah, the handheld memory game was a nice touch of nostalgia. I guess Stunt Cycle isn't on this.

Edited by invisible kid

10 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Just read one item that gave estimated equivalent 2022 costs for the 400 and 800:

Atari 400 $2000(USD)

Atari 800 $4000(USD)

Yikes!

The original MSRP for the 400 in 1979 was $549, and the 800 was $999 (per several different websites - not going to go dig further right now).

The Consumer Price Index inflation calculator maintained by U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics is a good general tool for estimating equivalent cost in current-value currency. Realistically, it’s not perfect because the economy of today only superficially resembles the economy of 40+ years ago. Some market segments have increased in cost substantially faster than overall inflation (education, healthcare and housing in many areas) while others have grown more slowly. But as a general tool, the CPI calculator is pretty handy.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

$549 in September 1979 is roughly equivalent to $2,193.14 as of last month. $999 would be roughly equivalent to $3,990.80.

Zoinks. :)

• Like 1

Not bad at all Brian, I was lucky that I was working in a dealer so got it as staff and paid it off over time. Don't think I ever fully paid it off, just stopped being taken out of my wages at some point. Presuming staff discount even though there was little or no mark up on the actual computers, you made the cash on the software (standard industry thing) or not in Maplins case at times, our buyers brought hundreds of Apshai games long after it had been out and sold what it was going to sell. By then I was manager and dozens of these huge cardboard boxes arrived with our usual delivery. I was tasked with selling these, this was an impossible ask even for a shop in London. Ended up using them as free blank disks, had a whole box at home because head office didn't want them back so I nabbed them (after asking if I could).

Had a wee chat with our buyer, asked him how many drugs he had taken, he refused to admit it was his choice so I guess he was pointing at Roy, one of the bosses, known for buying old tat..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 2:35 PM, DrVenkman said:

Atari did similar for Star Raiders(and other titles) for the 2600, they used an overlay with their VIDEO TOUCH PAD.

Picture 1 of 9.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Has anyone unlocked anything?

I think the only things to unlock are several 2600 titles - complete (i.e., examine) every item (video clips, vintage ads, interviews) along the history timeline to unlock Indy 500 (which has been renamed I think because “Indy” in the racing context is trademarked); beat or find secrets in the several of the modern reimagined titles to unlock Breakout, Combat II, etc. 

4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thanks, not really had a lot of time with it, if it's 2600 stuff then I probably won't be doing a fine tooth comb approach as I've never been a fan of the 2600.

Ha, I think this might be a particular age thing.  Like I was never a fan of the NES, as I went from the 2600, to 800xl to Sega Master System.  After having the 800xl, it was hard to be a fan of the 2600, it was such a huge leap in technology.

42 minutes ago, leech said:

Ha, I think this might be a particular age thing.  Like I was never a fan of the NES, as I went from the 2600, to 800xl to Sega Master System.  After having the 800xl, it was hard to be a fan of the 2600, it was such a huge leap in technology.

Pass, apart from a Pong machine I didn't really like the consoles from any company until the Snes arrived and changed my mind. As for things like the NES, the cart prices were a bit high and with my access to all the Atari gear I just never really looked at the NES (although it does have a cracking version of Spelunker)

53 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Pass, apart from a Pong machine I didn't really like the consoles from any company until the Snes arrived and changed my mind. As for things like the NES, the cart prices were a bit high and with my access to all the Atari gear I just never really looked at the NES (although it does have a cracking version of Spelunker)

You should check out the library of the sega master system.  Since Nintendo did their terrible licensing, Sega ended up having to create alternative versions, and in many ways they ended up much better.  But the SMS, hardware-wise, spanked the NES.  In some ways the games looked close to many of the earlier 16 bit games.

If Sega had a computer released around that time, it would have been really impressive.

• Like 1