IGNORED

Wyvern Tales Gaiden

Ninjabba

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

I will gladly go over all suggestions :D not making any promises though, some things are more feasible than others that is for sure!

Will you be to make it so that when you start up a save game that you aren't back at the original town? I just started playing it again but I cannot remember what I was doing when I stopped so I've had to go and needlessly retread a lot of ground.

9 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Will you be to make it so that when you start up a save game that you aren't back at the original town? I just started playing it again but I cannot remember what I was doing when I stopped so I've had to go and needlessly retread a lot of ground.

Depending on how far you made it in the game, you will have a different starting point when you load your saved game. Your first starting point is the original village, then the bar, then the next village etc.

This is mainly done because I have no extra fields available in the EEPROM, every single bit is used so I cannot store the exact coordinates of where you left off and instead use the events that have passed to track the progress. There is one upside to this approach though, it means you can never get stuck in the game! As in some classic JRPGs, if you'd save at the wrong time you could get really stuck and invalidate hours of playtime. In WT, you can always start from town where you can heal and level up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 9:41 AM, Ninjabba said:

I had a look to see how much it would take to port the original code to a newer template and quickly closed my editor once I saw the hexadecimal nightmare I created in the memory layout again.

Everything that you would flag for improvements have been done for good memory reasons in the past.. the background is scaled up for example to allow it in memory within the battle module. In retrospect, maybe some loading/unloading of sprite data while rendering the scene could overcome this issue (never tried this), but then there is the hard limit of the 256kb ROM size to which I'm very close to already in the original state.

My aim is to first create the story/maps/sprites and then see if I can make graphics/sfx and other improvements.

WT is amazing.  Thank you for creating it. 

There are a few improvements I would like to recommend that would make the sequel even better. Feel free to add them if you'd like.

#1 I feel like there's less time to explore and learn the caves because every 7 seconds I have to fight or flee.  Having more time to move around and explore would allow more flow to the game. 

#2 It would help to have more variation in music and visual background during the fight scenes.  For example, having  

#3 When using magic, it seems to take such a long time.  Maybe speeding things up.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'm definitely addressing the first item, I modelled the encounter rate a bit too strict to old games, a modern approach is definitely more welcome these days. 

Other items are much more difficult to address, but who knows.. I looked back at my code and see plenty of places for improvements.

Allowed me to create this nice intro screen

20231010_132720.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1