IGNORED

Does anybody know where I can get replacement ram for my 130XEs?

Allan

7 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Thank you. 

I see the IC 41464-10 DRAM 256K-Bit for the top 130XE but the list does not include the 4264-20 ram in the other 130XE. Should I be looking for a different number? I did a search in the Jameco for site but nothing came up.

21 minutes ago, Stefan Both said:

You're from Connecticut, so it doesn't make sense to recomment you a dealer in germany.

🤷‍♂️

I don't understand why that would be an issue, other than VAT taxes or something...Personally  speaking from shopping globally he could get a mail service post box (free) using Google translate and just have it sent to Connecticut...Brave new worlds 🌎 

Edited by Jenni

BTW sounds obvious but if replacing then remember don't just solder new chips in. Socket them with at least double wipe sockets. XE machines are known for traces and vias lifting easily so be careful when removing. If chips on the board are bad then you can initially cut them out and then easily remove the legs with a soldering Iron and round nose pliers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jenni said:

I don't understand why that would be an issue, other than VAT taxes or something...Personally  speaking from shopping globally he could get a mail service post box (free) using Google translate and just have it sent to Connecticut...Brave new worlds 🌎 

I'd imagine of you are based in the US then buying in or around the US in the state nearest you is cheaper than buying outside for that very reason... because of international postage, extra import duties/fees which you would not otherwise pay sourcing closer to home. 

If I can source components in the UK it stands to reason it is going to be cheaper than sourcing from the US. It's only where I can't source closer to home I then look further afield. Bit the bullet a few times including when I bought my mint condition 1200XL and some other Atari bits from the US. Paid a small fortune in postage and import duties but it was worth it. 

Not sure what is meant by a mail service box using Google translate BTW. Can you elaborate? :)

I don't usually just buy something because it close to me, I look for quality all over the planet...Generally a mail service is used when you buy something from a different country and they Don't/Won't/Can't do international post, So in my case I actually have a Mailbox in Germany to mail stuff too, (again that's free) then have it forwarded to the US using my mail service (using Google translate for the interaction,  because I cant read different languages)...It does add another level of headaches to the purchase, but opens up the whole world to your projects, not just what Bubba down the road happens to be selling.

Edited by Jenni
  • Like 2

Hello guys

22 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

... because of international postage, extra import duties/fees which you would not otherwise pay sourcing closer to home. 

Or the postal company (Royal Mail in this case) sends your package to Los Angeles, USA, instead of the Netherlands.  And when you finally find out "country of destination" isn't the last line of text, by tapping the screen in the "when does my package arrive" app, but "Los Angeles, USA" and then have to wait until the 20th working day after the package was sent is over to file a complaint, which only the sender can file.

Or you order something (again, from the UK) on the 6th of last month, it arrives in the Netherlands on the 10th.  The postal company's tax department sends you a letter on the 16th, asking for more information, which you receive on the 17th and respond to on the 19th (a Saturday).  On the 30th, they check your package (no, not that one, you dirty... 😁 ) and clear it a day later.  In the mean time, they change the delivery address from your home address to a store in a close by shopping center.  Where it still hasn't arrived.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jenni said:

I don't usually just buy something because it close to me, I look for quality all over the planet...Generally a mail service is used when you buy something from a different country and they Don't/Won't/Can't do international post, So in my case I actually have a Mailbox in Germany to mail stuff too, (again that's free) then have it forwarded to the US using my mail service (using Google translate for the interaction,  because I cant read different languages)...It does add another level of headaches to the purchase, but opens up the whole world to your projects, not just what Bubba down the road happens to be selling.

Yeah, but for things like this and other small electronics parts, I buy from Digi-Key in the U.S., not Bubba down the street, and it makes zero sense to search or order from anywhere else. You're certainly not going to get any better quality. from anywhere else.

I'm a little confused as to the original comment though. No one recommended a German dealer that I can see. Did something get edited out?

Edited by bfollowell

12 hours ago, Allan said:

Thank you. 

I see the IC 41464-10 DRAM 256K-Bit for the top 130XE but the list does not include the 4264-20 ram in the other 130XE. Should I be looking for a different number? I did a search in the Jameco for site but nothing came up.

MT4264 is just the part number used by Micron for 64K x 1 bit DRAM, if you look at the top left RAM chip you will notice that it's a Toshiba TMM4164, they are all 64k x 1 bit DRAM(commonly known as 4164).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mathy said:

Or the postal company (Royal Mail in this case) sends your package to Los Angeles, USA, instead of the Netherlands.

A couple of times a year, mail sent to us from the US would be sent to Iceland rather than Ireland.  We'd usually get it after a few months' delay.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jenni said:

That was ment for obsolete hard to find stuff, and custom fabricated, obviously such a hassle isn't for everything...And Digikey isn't actually making the stuff they sell it is sourced globally anyway.

Oh, definitely, but they sell quality stuff, not no name crap like you get if you but an electronics grab bag straight from Shenzhen. I just meant, if you're U.S. based, and we have quality companies selling top quality goods, it would be really silly to go outside the country for something unless you just absolutely had to. I'm sure there are definitely items that require that though. It's just that this memory isn't one of them.

• Like 1

Got to agree, why make an already semi stressful thing even more hassle by going abroad unless there's a clear bonus to doing it. With what little I order, I just want it here asap, as cheap as possible and genuine items. Aliexpress cannot guarantee all of these bar the price will normally be cheaper, but not much help if you get rebadged garbage after 2 - 4 weeks. I'm not saying it's not worth looking worldwide, but on a few components, hardly seems much point.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

I know, I get that...But if you are making an order, on say LS74xxx chips anyway (or something else Digikey doesn't sell as EOL), Adding a memory stick to the order isn't really a big deal. All I am saying, is it is a thing, I do it all the time...Although it could also be said I do happen to buy alot of random obsolete, Hard to find stuff, and have even waited years for orders on occasion.

Edited by Jenni

Shopping, like many things, is a very personal thing, we have our choices and to be honest, there's no right or wrong. We all do it 'our way'...When I go supermarket shopping I have my list ready, I know which aisles I will be going to and I'm in and out asap (typical bloke, before it's said :) ), whereas my wife may return to an aisle several times and scrutinise dates on stuff more thoroughly. Neither are right or wrong, both have their merits (and losses). As I do pretty much all the shopping etc, I just do it my way..

• Like 1