IGNORED

Someone to blame (at Atari) and yell at!

davpa

1 hour ago, MrMaddog said:

But will someone at Atari actually make the time and effort...?

Here is a better question than 'this is the list of Atari games on Steam that aren't on the VCS.'  My question is why are there native Linux ports on the VCS by Atari that are not available as Linux native on Steam?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, leech said:

Here is a better question than 'this is the list of Atari games on Steam that aren't on the VCS.'  My question is why are there native Linux ports on the VCS by Atari that are not available as Linux native on Steam?

Very good question!  Especially when said native Linux games from the VCS can be played on Steam Deck w/o all that Proton malarky...

On 3/30/2023 at 6:28 PM, MrMaddog said:

Like I had said in that video's comment section...

The "old" Atari SA games only run in Windows and unless Atari gets Valve's Proton layer working on the Linux-based VCS, then you have to run Windows & Steam on the VCS.

Another issue is some might be keyboard/mouse controlled like the Rollercoaster Tycoon games

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got this info from someone on YouTube so I do not know how valid it is.  This person claims that there is a zip code issue with the VCS so that new users and a few current uses cannot buy games in the store(they can see them but not buy them) because of it.   Is this true?   

5 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I got this info from someone on YouTube so I do not know how valid it is.  This person claims that there is a zip code issue with the VCS so that new users and a few current uses cannot buy games in the store(they can see them but not buy them) because of it.   Is this true?   

yes, it is.  Our commerce partner, Big Commerce, did some kind of code update that appears to have semi-broke our communications scripts (we think).  What is weird and perplexing is that the whole store didn't break down, just seemingly random people.  In some ways this is a much worse situation as we can't identify what is going wrong.  If the whole store broke down, we can point to the problem and say "hey, there it is."  And because of the custom nature of how the store was put together and scripted, 4-5 years ago, Big Commerce can't point out where the error is happening either.  So it has been a very frustrating mess trying to get this fixed.  And we haven't been able to identify a common trait between the people the Zip Code error is affecting and those that it is not.  What makes Person A different than persons B, C, and D?

In all honesty, I hope the Store just does a full breakdown so we can zero in on the issue and then just fix it.  But that is what is going on.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, davpa said:

So it has been a very frustrating mess trying to get this fixed.  And we haven't been able to identify a common trait between the people the Zip Code error is affecting and those that it is not.  What makes Person A different than persons B, C, and D?

Some thoughts/ideas...

ZIP vs ZIP+4 issue?

As zip codes are often what drives sales tax lookups in a store, could there be something there? Some zip codes not present (or other error) in the sales tax lookup table?

Any logging available to sift through for the interfacing scripts? Or error codes being reported via the payment processor?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, for some reason I got one of these...

After surviving the *worst* out-of-box experience I have had with anything in over a decade (And I have some Chinese 'smart' lights....) ....  Here's hoping things get better, like maybe being able to set static IP addressing or show the MAC of the NIC somewhere, or, you know, be able to create an account without having to download a firmware that you can't download without updating the firmware first, which is on a gdrive, linked via a discord server, which requires flashing to a USB stick, which then requires a keyboard because you have to press ENTER to start it. *sigh*

image.thumb.png.115d3af6336412fa372fc0d35410ca66.png

So, I purchase Caverns of Mars: Recharged. Side note: Shouldn't these be discounted vs their steam versions, especially given that the VCS can run the steam version in PC mode... 

On the title screen for CoM:R "Press SPACE to play"

Could Atari put some effort into just one part of this whole thing? Would that have been so hard to realise its not the steam version and change it to "B" or something?  Everything just seems like minimal effort was put into it.

Oh, and while I'm complaining, maybe turn the mouse pointer off when there isn't a mouse connected?

[edit/update]

image.thumb.png.91994457858d35712d90ace53b29b186.png

"Image Coming Soon" N/A N/A N/A - Can't even get the invoice stuff looking good, so the part that is clearly the most important to them (the $$$) isn't worth getting right, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure this fits the theme of this thread (it's more of a complaint/ suggestion box), but I genuinely appreciate Atari's efforts this year to increase the number of VCS releases. About a year ago, it seemed like new titles were at a trickle. Atari said they were going to continue VCS support with a bunch of new titles, and I feel like lately they have really delivered. I definitely think there are still a few rough edges with the VCS experience, but on the thing that matters to me the most (a continuously supported console with a growing library of solid games) I thing they have delivered. Kudos VCS team.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, CyranoJ said:

So, for some reason I got one of these...

After surviving the *worst* out-of-box experience I have had with anything in over a decade (And I have some Chinese 'smart' lights....) ....  Here's hoping things get better, like maybe being able to set static IP addressing or show the MAC of the NIC somewhere, or, you know, be able to create an account without having to download a firmware that you can't download without updating the firmware first, which is on a gdrive, linked via a discord server, which requires flashing to a USB stick, which then requires a keyboard because you have to press ENTER to start it. *sigh*

I'm not going to disagree with you here, the out-of-box experience is horrific.  It got broken after a December update and turned the "oh, here is an update or two" situation into something that is really frustrating.  The changes in the update were necessary updates, so rolling back wasn't an option.  Not that it helps you now, but our upcoming update, which will introduce a batch of new features and do a large update to the Linux kernel, will eliminate this situation.

It is a small dagger to my soul each day this fix is not going out.  I just want to lock the engineers in a room with Jolt Cola and a mountain of cocaine and yell "You have 24hrs" and get this fixed.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, RollOut said:

I'm not sure this fits the theme of this thread (it's more of a complaint/ suggestion box), but I genuinely appreciate Atari's efforts this year to increase the number of VCS releases. About a year ago, it seemed like new titles were at a trickle. Atari said they were going to continue VCS support with a bunch of new titles, and I feel like lately they have really delivered. I definitely think there are still a few rough edges with the VCS experience, but on the thing that matters to me the most (a continuously supported console with a growing library of solid games) I thing they have delivered. Kudos VCS team.

On behalf of the other members of Atari, thank you.  Yes, we still have some polishing to do, but I'm glad you are enjoying the system.  As I commented above, I'm hoping this big update will take away a lot of rough edges.  Of course, you take away some issues only to find more, so you can never really win.

44 minutes ago, davpa said:

I'm not going to disagree with you here, the out-of-box experience is horrific.  It got broken after a December update and turned the "oh, here is an update or two" situation into something that is really frustrating.  The changes in the update were necessary updates, so rolling back wasn't an option.  Not that it helps you now, but our upcoming update, which will introduce a batch of new features and do a large update to the Linux kernel, will eliminate this situation.

It is a small dagger to my soul each day this fix is not going out.  I just want to lock the engineers in a room with Jolt Cola and a mountain of cocaine and yell "You have 24hrs" and get this fixed.

I'd be happy to donate some Jolt to the cause!  Can't help with the other stuff :)

Are you able to say more about what's in the update or is it too early for that?

Please let this @CyranoJ and @davpa interaction be the beginning of conversations that brings some Reboot games to the VCS 🤞.

Agree about the mouse pointer and lack of polish on correspondence as well. It seems like there is always at least one typo on an email or webpage. It is a shame for these things to mar the marketing.

That said, I also agree that the games library has been expanding with some really cool titles with lots to look forward to. I love the Atari Club merchandise drops. The IP acquisitions and purchasing of Nightdive Studios seem like great moves as well. And I love that Atari has leaned into their "deep cuts" with Caverns of Mars and Quantum. This has honestly been a great time to be an Atari fan.

55 minutes ago, stirrell said:

Please let this @CyranoJ and @davpa interaction be the beginning of conversations that brings some Reboot games to the VCS 🤞.

Agree about the mouse pointer and lack of polish on correspondence as well. It seems like there is always at least one typo on an email or webpage. It is a shame for these things to mar the marketing.

That said, I also agree that the games library has been expanding with some really cool titles with lots to look forward to. I love the Atari Club merchandise drops. The IP acquisitions and purchasing of Nightdive Studios seem like great moves as well. And I love that Atari has leaned into their "deep cuts" with Caverns of Mars and Quantum. This has honestly been a great time to be an Atari fan.

We've already had a chat.  It was an impromptu video call at 1am for me, but it was a lovely conversation.  Right now the only thing holding me back from getting a Distribution Contract out to Reboot is that the VCS doesn't have a Jaguar emulator built-in, yet.  A few options are being evaluated and seeing how certain things shake out.  Once I can get Jag emulation on the VCS, I hope Reboot games, and other developers, are swiftly landing on the VCS.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Will there ever be more classic joystick controllers in stock? If not, is there a way to get maybe a USB wireless adapter for compatibility with that controller for the MyArcade Atari Gamestation thing?

GameStationPro.thumb.jpg.8f4d66e7bf95852

It has the rotary knob and the extra fire button so it seems like it should work for the same types of games as the VCS stick.

Edited by famicommander

46 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Will there ever be more classic joystick controllers in stock? If not, is there a way to get maybe a USB wireless adapter for compatibility with that controller for the MyArcade Atari Gamestation thing?

GameStationPro.thumb.jpg.8f4d66e7bf95852

It has the rotary knob and the extra fire button so it seems like it should work for the same types of games as the VCS stick.

From my understanding there will be a restock of the Atari VCS Classic Joystick although there's no time frame on it but it will happen, that's what's been said on the Discord server last month when someone asked . I also think its more likely to happen now  especially since Atari have a new manufacturer for the 2600 plus so i don't think its impossible to have them do it. 

The joysticks from the gamestation pro wont work with any other system. The way these controllers connect is via infrared, even when connected to the gamestation pro with a cable there still connecting wirelessly, the cable is to charge the joystick only. I got this information from a reviewer on YouTube who was allowed to show of the joysticks. I personally think they look terrible and the layout is weird but we shall see 🙂

42 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

From my understanding there will be a restock of the Atari VCS Classic Joystick although there's no time frame on it but it will happen, that's what's been said on the Discord server last month when someone asked . I also think its more likely to happen now  especially since Atari have a new manufacturer for the 2600 plus so i don't think its impossible to have them do it. 

The joysticks from the gamestation pro wont work with any other system. The way these controllers connect is via infrared, even when connected to the gamestation pro with a cable there still connecting wirelessly, the cable is to charge the joystick only. I got this information from a reviewer on YouTube who was allowed to show of the joysticks. I personally think they look terrible and the layout is weird but we shall see 🙂

The sticks are supposed to be 2.4ghz wireless, not infrared. Nobody would use infrared controllers in this day and age. It should be trivial to externalize the radio receiver they're connecting to the console with into a USB peripheral. Microsoft did it for the Xbox 360 controllers with a USB adapter for PCs and they used the same 2.4ghz radio frequency technology.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, atariman72 said:

@davpa with all the recent renewed worldwide interest in Atari, is there any chance at all of the VCS getting a UK & Europe release?

It would be a day one purchase for many if it was available through retailer like Amazon.

This question seems to pop up quite a lot and i don't think davpa comes on here often so let me answer the question for you, no its very very unlikely the Atari VCS 800 will ever see a release outside the US for now which is very unfortunate and has led myself and many other UK and European users no other option but to pay the crazy prices on eBay to own the system or either import them. After my initial backer unit I've had to pick up multiple units on eBay when they show up to make sure i have back up Atari VCS 800 consoles should i need them in the future and its the same situation with the controllers and joystick, but I'm lucky one of my family members now live in the states so i have easy access to get replacements should i need them now. I think the given reason for the Atari VCS 800 not getting sold outside the US is the power supply? that's what I've read anyway, it doesn't meet certain regulations or something which is strange as its multiregion and will work in any country by just replacing the 3 pin power cord for the adapter for suitable country. 

11 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

This question seems to pop up quite a lot and i don't think davpa comes on here often so let me answer the question for you, no its very very unlikely the Atari VCS 800 will ever see a release outside the US for now which is very unfortunate and has led myself and many other UK and European users no other option but to pay the crazy prices on eBay to own the system or either import them. After my initial backer unit I've had to pick up multiple units on eBay when they show up to make sure i have back up Atari VCS 800 consoles should i need them in the future and its the same situation with the controllers and joystick, but I'm lucky one of my family members now live in the states so i have easy access to get replacements should i need them now. I think the given reason for the Atari VCS 800 not getting sold outside the US is the power supply? that's what I've read anyway, it doesn't meet certain regulations or something which is strange as its multiregion and will work in any country by just replacing the 3 pin power cord for the adapter for suitable country. 

It's not the power supply, although that is a small inconvenience due to the need for regional outlet plugs.  The issue is the packaging as it is not multilingual.  Look at the packaging on a Game Station Pro, there are five languages on there.  The 2600+ has three.  Many European countries don't allow product sales in their country if their language is not represented on the box.  Also, there would be import duties to the EU.  This along with the packaging failure make it cost prohibitive for Atari to distribute in the EU (and UK for that matter).  All of a sudden your 200 Pound mini PC/game console is 450 Pounds or more.  It's just not worth Atari's trouble for the minimal sales they would make.

7 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

It's not the power supply, although that is a small inconvenience due to the need for regional outlet plugs.  The issue is the packaging as it is not multilingual.  Look at the packaging on a Game Station Pro, there are five languages on there.  The 2600+ has three.  Many European countries don't allow product sales in their country if their language is not represented on the box.  Also, there would be import duties to the EU.  This along with the packaging failure make it cost prohibitive for Atari to distribute in the EU (and UK for that matter).  All of a sudden your 200 Pound mini PC/game console is 450 Pounds or more.  It's just not worth Atari's trouble for the minimal sales they would make.

Well that clears that up then, i didn't know the issue was mostly to do with the packaging/language! Its a shame that Atari cant resolve the issue and make it worth selling outside the US. I'm sure that there is money to be made, i frequently see the Atari VCS on the UK eBay marketplace sell for upwards of £350 and i know it would fair really well over here as have most Atari products in the past.

3 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Well that clears that up then, i didn't know the issue was mostly to do with the packaging/language! Its a shame that Atari cant resolve the issue and make it worth selling outside the US. I'm sure that there is money to be made, i frequently see the Atari VCS on the UK eBay marketplace sell for upwards of £350 and i know it would fair really well over here as have most Atari products in the past.

I'd have bet the Germans alone would have bought more of them than all the sales in the US.  It would have had a much warmer reception in UK/Europe if they'd launched here first.  But yeah, it's not gonna happen.  I think at this stage they just want to clear the remaining stock in the warehouse and not spend a penny more on the VCS than they need to.

Edited by THX-1138

50 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I'd have bet the Germans alone would have bought more of them than all the sales in the US.  It would have had a much warmer reception in UK/Europe if they'd launched here first.  But yeah, it's not gonna happen.  I think at this stage they just want to clear the remaining stock in the warehouse and not spend a penny more on the VCS than they need to.

I agree. I do wonder if we will see some sort of revision of the Atari VCS 800 though that might get sold outside the US. Maybe we will see the console improved and released worldwide eventually. The reason i say that is that Atari still seem to want to focus on improving and building upon the Atari OS by releasing updates for it and adding in new features, improving the store and integrating with there website and adding new payment methods to the store and also bringing more and more indie game developers onboard to work with the system, and with the amount of new games currently in development along with the USB cart add-on it does seem silly to keep funding it just to clear out the remaining stock in the warehouse and be done with it in the end. I feel if that was the case it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort spending anything to continue updating the OS and getting new devs and extra support to continue to make the platform better. I really think there must be plans to do something else at some point if the support and demand is there. 

As a European Atari fan, it's really infuriating to see them ignore us like that. They haven't even bothered releasing their modern machines here, just those crappy AtGames emulation boxes...it is true that Atari was more popular in North America, but it seems like they're focusing on a single market way too much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I agree. I do wonder if we will see some sort of revision of the Atari VCS 800 though that might get sold outside the US. Maybe we will see the console improved and released worldwide eventually. The reason i say that is that Atari still seem to want to focus on improving and building upon the Atari OS by releasing updates for it and adding in new features, improving the store and integrating with there website and adding new payment methods to the store and also bringing more and more indie game developers onboard to work with the system, and with the amount of new games currently in development along with the USB cart add-on it does seem silly to keep funding it just to clear out the remaining stock in the warehouse and be done with it in the end. I feel if that was the case it probably wouldn't be worth the time and effort spending anything to continue updating the OS and getting new devs and extra support to continue to make the platform better. I really think there must be plans to do something else at some point if the support and demand is there. 

Good point, I wonder if the work doing into the OS and backend is to do with what will follow this particular iteration of the VCS?  I'm fairly confident there will be something.

• Like 1