IGNORED

Best Electronics Announcement

Breakpack

Well, I dropped 'em an e-mail with some extra controller stuff that I'd like to swap for store credit. Maybe I can knock a few bucks off and gold-ify one or two of my controllers. :)

EDIT: just as a heads up, I've posted a few items for sale to fund my 5200 controller rebuilds. Included in there is my Wico Command Control stick that I never intend on using (I like the stock 5200 controllers, I just wish they'd work). Let me know if I've made a serious pricing blunder (and, yes, I know not to sell the Wico for $5 so don't even try :) ).

ANOTHER EDIT: The Wico 5200 stick is gone already. You folks are vultures. :D

Voch

I just received the controller flex circuit/keypay-fire-start/pause/reset set in the mail just a few minutes ago.

I will install it later tonight, but I will say this, they are really high quality and the buttons most certainly have a springy pop-back-out feel to them, far far better then the originals.

Curt

So,

The feeling is with these new circuts your 5200 controller wont die from under/over use?

The gold plating ensures a lot longer use without a visit inside your controller. The rubber buttons should last for a long time, the only time I had any issues with the 5200 was on my original rubber base on the 5200 joysticks, I got one of the very early 5200 releases when it came out, I remember playing some games for perhaps 2 hours and the rubber boot bases were tearing, when I looked at them, they were paper thin.

These new replacements certainly have an excellent tackle feel to them and the gold contacts will eventually need some cleaning, but it's gonna be like a 20 to 1 ratio over that nickle/silver contacts that are on the original ones which need cleaning 2-3 times a year depending on use.

Curt

I got out of 5200 gaming quite a long time ago, basically for this very reason. I was frusterated by the gameplay. My buttons never worked and even if I would have them serviced, they would fall apart again.

My question is, are these Best Electronics advancements really so significant as to change the entire feel of gameplay on the 5200 when using the cx52? Does the controller as a whole feel that much more solid? I am about to reinvest in 5200 gaming again because I can't stand to miss out on this classic system. Im really a 2600/7800 kinda guy but the 5200 still holds a very warm place in my heart... just not the joysticks. :D

So...is it worth it?

My question is, are these Best Electronics advancements really so significant as to change the entire feel of gameplay on the 5200 when using the cx52?

I think it's close. I can't swear on the longevity of the new controller parts (but Best Electronics does), but I'm able to set plays in RealSports Football and RealSports Baseball now (make extensive use of the keypads), fire consistently in Galaxian, and actually jump when I want to in Mario Bros. Before these new parts my controllers were very intermittent.

But it's roughly $30 shipped to fix all the buttons on a single controller (I only did one for now). And you still have the analog sticks for better or worse (I like 'em for most games, but one of my sticks is crappy so I'm going to remove the all-gold buttons from it and put it in my better-sticked controller).

My Atari 5200 system was given to my by a coworker and I was very disappointed when I tried the controllers for the first time. They got better after I scrubbed them internally a bit and have improved greatly with the new gold parts.

Anyone have anything to add?

Voch