IGNORED

Indus GT Drive - Any tips?

macsonny

Hi All,

Have just grabbed myself 2 x Indus GT drives off eBay. They looked in ok condition and apparently powered up so fingers crossed they are working units. I always wanted one when I was a kid but could never afford them. Now I’m an older kid and can afford - I decided to grab an few.

Anyhow, they won’t arrive for 2-3 weeks so I’ve been reading up on different ROMs, etc. Has anyone got some advice on how best to maintain these units?

Thanks

Basically they are built like tanks.  I've had mine since 1985-6 and I have never stored it in an attic so it is still in good working condition with the original belt.  Belts are probably the only maintenance item you need to worry about.  Mine is stock except I added a RAMcharger in mine (if that is the correct name for it - hard to remember things anymore)  I bought this add-on item from someone here on AA, so you can probably find out exactly what it is called here.

Be careful about the PSUs as they need 11V DC rather than the usual Atari 9V AC. They should run happily on 12V 2A PSUs as used on 3,5" HD enclosures. Some even have the correct plug (which I found a bit difficult to source in Europe).

Replica RAMChargers are available from @tf_hh. They should improve reading speed through track buffering and also allow to run CP/M on the drive (with the Atari acting as a terminal). The practical value of that is doubtful but "it can be done". Floppy images of the CP/M boot discs are around, I think I saw them on AtariWiki. Installing the RAMCharger requires opening the drive which isn't too hard. You want to be careful with the acrylic door and its supporting hardware. 

I started with the Indus GT drive, and I still love them.  But, they are certainly not tanks.  I have had three of them.  They provided great service over the years, but all have had to be serviced.  Paul V. Alhart in Lompoc, CA. is THE guy for repairs, alignment, if yours requires it.  Search for him here.  By contrast, I have never had to replace a belt either.  Then again, my 1050s have never had any service in all those years.  The 1050s, while less sexy, are the Atari Disk Drive Tanks.  DBM.