IGNORED

Silly Venture 2022 (Winter Edition)

MrFish

4 hours ago, R0ger said:

Here's mine (16K intro category) !

image.png.5b0b080debfc576768108e0ffc94eae1.png

silly.ribbon.xex 12.87 kB · 15 downloads

I really like this; nice, clean design; and cool scroller.

I don't really like how the overlapping Mandelbrot images look though; I think it'd be nicer to have the whole images on the screen after the transitions. The Mandelbrot images themselves look good, though.

Nice job, and thanks for the NTSC version again (including proper intended colors).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I really like this; nice, clean design; and cool scroller.

I don't really like how the overlapping Mandelbrot images look though; I think it'd be nicer to have the whole images on the screen after the transitions. The Mandelbrot images themselves look good, though.

Nice job, and thanks for the NTSC version again (including proper intended colors).

Yeah, the Mandelbrot set was kinda last minute thought (since I had the code from before) .. could be done better. As for NTSC, you're welcome, I'm happy someones appreciates that :-D

In case someone missed my Mandelbrot browser:

• Like 4

here are mines:

Arsantica 0 - Rough Cut:

This was an early version of Arsantica where BeWu had a different music. That was the main reason to "grave digger" it...

Voxel 2k16:

Arsantica 3 prototype of the Voxel routine with up/down movement. this was the "last old" slow version before we implemented a new "fast" version in Arsantica 3 with banking.

Music by Miker

Burning the Blitter VBXE:

Small demo for the VBXE... the Blitter is doing here the ground work. it processes the "fire buffer" (4 ADDs+div+sub) and the slope calculating for the line drawing. the fire line drawer is done by the CPU.

Music by Miker

dsr_burn_the_blitter_vbxe_packed.zip dsr_Arsantica0.zip dsr_Arsantica_Voxel_2k16_packed.zip

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Btw. Emkay‘s 2 entries were nice. Esp. The ship on the sea.

IMHO they were no real "demos" but music pimped with one admittedly nice picture per demo.

Based on this they were nice; yes.

IIRC it was "Demo 16K".

Edited by DjayBee

36 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

IMHO they were no real "demos" but music pimped with one admittedly nice picture per demo.

IIRC it was "Demo 16K".

Emkay's ship demo was indeed nice. Great image and music.

Here is the video where it plays at the correct point Emkay's demo starts in the stream:

Here is a screen shot:

image.thumb.png.2fcf46f8df96e171779735f82298878e.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DjayBee said:

IIRC it was "Demo 16K".

Well… DEMOnstrating music, art and code… so.. in my terms all good.

Edited by Heaven/TQA
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Hehe… and me still sticks to max 128kb (130 XE) except on the VBXE…

Haha. I am always trying to get everything into stock 48kB.

Terminator demo was hard for this. First edition, I sent in, had less effects and needed 64kB. Then I realized a hole in memory, that I didn't recognized before. So I managed to have it still on 48kB and even more, could add 2 more effects into this space.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pps said:

So I managed to have it still on 48kB and even more, could add 2 more effects into this space.

That's the right spirit. Part of the fun with 8-Bit-Systems are the limitations and to get around them. Although I am fine with 64KB or even 130KB demos and games which still mean a lot of limitations.

But don't get me wrong. I am not against VBXE, covox/sid (pokeymax) or huge memory expansions but I find demos/games within stronger limitations more impressive.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Emkay's ship demo was indeed nice. Great image and music.

Here is the video where it plays at the correct point Emkay's demo starts in the stream:

Here is a screen shot:

image.thumb.png.2fcf46f8df96e171779735f82298878e.png

Ah, ok... thanks for posting.

I thought maybe he did some kind of animations/effects. Decent picture and tune, though...

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, Heaven/TQA said:

Hehe… and me still sticks to max 128kb (130 XE) except on the VBXE…

Its your design choice and Im ok with that. Its not a problem to have for example 1 bank for every part of the demo having:

part1 bank0: clear

lda #0

sta screen

sta screen+1

part2 bank0: sin/mulutables (generated by code)

part3 bank0: a tunnel

lda leftnibble,x

ora rightnibble,x

sta screen

yep just one bank

We were doing it long ago (~1999), and after coming back with atari demos we wanted something more fresh. Its not like an effect "needs 1MB" (when everything is real-time...). Every part of our prod has "16 free banks" in demo core and can use it anytime, even in the first second of the demo (instead of waiting for freeing banks during the prod). Simple, elastic, unlocking more design choices. Also im kinda bored with classic mappings (tunnels). Our production could have 300% more content and still didnt fill the 1MB yet.

Like I said - for me its a design choice. I would love to see more prods 512kb+ (it usually+unfortunatelly means more effort also).

Edited by solo/ng
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

Its your design choice and Im ok with that. Its not a problem to have for example 1 bank for every part of the themo having:

part1 bank0: clear

lda #0

sta screen

sta screen+1

part2 bank0: sin/mulutables (generated by code)

part3 bank0: a tunnel

lda leftnibble,x

ora rightnibble,x

sta screen

yep just one bank

We were doing it long ago (~1999), and after coming back with atari demos we wanted something more fresh. Its not like an effect "needs 1MB" (when everything is real-time...). Every part of our prod has "16 free banks" in demo core and can use it anytime, even in the first second of the demo (instead of waiting for freeing banks during the prod). Simple, elastic, unlocking more design choices. Also im kinda bored with classic mappings (tunnels). Our production could have 300% more content and still didnt fill the 1MB yet.

Like I said - for me its a design choice. I would love to se more prodts 512kb+ (its usually means more effort also).

No offence but C64 guys slash you… 😉