IGNORED

Magazine Archives on DVD -- anotherworldgames.net

Larry

If you like to read computer mags from BITD, you might check out the link.  These are PDF's on DVD at low cost.  And while it is true that you can generally download many scans for free, the quality of these is superb, based on my purchase of Antic.  They have many others for various systems.  Unfortunately, they don't have Analog or Compute! at this time.  If you use the link address, you will end up at their etsy.uk store (they are also on eBay).  Shipping was inexpensive, but took about 3 weeks from the UK to the U.S.  (Those ships don't get any faster, do they?)

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

My bad, he did post it, in the subject line..Oh no, I have to now type all those letters in, I'll give it my best shot...

This is only true for people with Windows Cheap Edition and a keyboard without dedicated copy/paste-key.

Everybody else uses Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.

😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does anyone have any reason to believe that these aren't just DVD compilations of the same scans that everyone can freely download from the atarimania or archive.org websites? They keep using words like obtained and compiled, but say nothing of any actual scanning process which, to me, implies they're just selling some else's work. They do say that they are fully searchable, which I'm not sure that all of the currently available pdf versions are. All that aside, they are relatively cheap at only $6.15 USD including shipping, so it's not like they're making a lot of money. Some may really appreciate the convenience of not having to download them all themselves I guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe they are indeed simply the scans out there, maybe touched up a little. I noticed the comments on the UK Atari User compilation said there were issues missing. That alone makes me believe it's the same stuff as out there but on a nice DVD.

As said, it's not a massive money making scheme..

I ordered these through eBay, should have had them Nov 14th and still not here. The first time I contacted this seller through eBay, to let him know I didn't have them, he sent me a link to download them. When I contacted him again over a month after the disks should have been here he didn't bother to respond. I just sent him another message through eBay, but don't really expect a response. At this point there is no way I'll buy anything else from this person.

Edited by magnusfalkirk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

A related question...  I subscribed to Page Six/New Atari User, so I'm familiar with those, but what of "Atari User" (UK) and "ACE"?  Would those be worth having?  Are there any other (overseas from U.S.), English-written mags that might be worth getting?

Atari User  UK is worth it, nice selection of tech, reviews etc (but then again, I'm biased). ACE, hmmm, I used to read ACE but it was like a poor mans computer and video games and the like. It covered computers and consoles but I found it to be a bit late to a story and very dry writing in a time where everyone was trying to keep the Zapp64 sense of humour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:19 AM, Mclaneinc said:

As said, it's not a massive money making scheme..

Yeah for the price it's more like a service.     Some of the magazine PDFs I encountered are massive in size and take forever to download, so being able to order on DVD (or USB which they offer too) is convenient.

Kind of like all the shareware compilation CD-ROMs from back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked ACE, but mostly because it was the precursor to magazines like EDGE. It had info on the latest tech just round the corner and covered machines you might not buy, like Archimedes and PC Engine etc etc. 

I didn't buy magazines for games reviews because the reviewers had no knowledge of what the host hardware was capable of and therefore their opinions mean diddlysquat.

How very dare you!!     :)

I knew what the machine could do while I was with Atari User, I may not have known just what was out of reach of the machine but I knew how many sprites, graphic modes number of colours, what the hardware could do, ie fine scroll, display lists etc etc..

You have to remember, you are normally given a target word amount, invariably stuff would get cut by the editors and the normal target of cuts were anything classed as technical, it was deemed as something the reader would not understand, so as a game reviewer you were pushed to only talk about the game in the most non-convoluted way, ie they could sometimes treat the readers as kids..

I also felt the was too much advertising politics going on, I had 2 reviews altered where I'd been harsh but fair about a feature, I noticed that if it was from a big UK dev / release house, that words would be removed or toned right down which I was pretty sure it was done to keep them onside with advertising.

I could be wrong..

So nerr... :)

Edited by Mclaneinc