IGNORED

Ultima V - WIP

Atlan_Roland

9 hours ago, Zolaerla said:

I've done a load of revisions on my player and music scripting language, and then finished up the Ultima V theme song. This is my favorite piece in the entire Ultima series, so I wanted to make it great, hopefully better than the Atari ST version with only 3 voices, but maybe everybody else can be the judge. I know there's still a bad note in there that I need to fix for the final version, but I have experimented with this for almost my entire weekend, and I just need a break. Most of the voices have quite a large range, which made this particularly difficult to get working in purely 8-bit voices.

The timing is a bit fast on NTSC (what I tend to use). This is due to it having sixteenth notes and triplets, so the VBI timing is really limited and it's running at 150BPM instead of 120-125BPM like normal. It's just right on PAL, but I haven't made PAL note tables yet so the intonation is even more off than the Atari tends to be... still sounds pretty cool there though for the most part.

So attached are various attempts at getting this to sound good. "U5-Theme.xex" is actually about the 8th configuration I tried, but the last one that I think sounds the best, even if it loses the low F1 in the bass.

"U5-Theme-v1v" is a weird one when I added auto-vibrato support and tried it out on the melody and it.. needs work, or to just be removed.

U5-Theme.xex 4.94 kB · 12 downloads U5-Theme-v1.xex 4.93 kB · 4 downloads U5-Theme-v1v.xex 4.96 kB · 3 downloads U5-Theme-v2.xex 4.96 kB · 4 downloads U5-Theme-v3.xex 4.96 kB · 7 downloads

sounds great .. (listen to it on PAL speed) prob. like the u5-them.xex the most.

so you're not doing this in RMT but your own tool?

6 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Perhaps have a go at making a dual Pokey version utilising 2 or more 16-bit voices?  

Yes, but it's always good to achieve the best you can in mono -- for the stock audio version.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Atlan_Roland said:

sounds great .. (listen to it on PAL speed) prob. like the u5-them.xex the most.

so you're not doing this in RMT but your own tool?

Yes, this is something I wrote on my own. There are features I want in my music player that RMT doesn't support.

6 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Perhaps have a go at making a dual Pokey version utilising 2 or more 16-bit voices?  

I don't think the goal here is to make it work only on an upgraded system like that. It might be interesting to make a more enhanced version for people that have that modification, though then it'll be forced left/right audio which might be a bit weird.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zolaerla said:

Yes, this is something I wrote on my own. There are features I want in my music player that RMT doesn't support.

I don't think the goal here is to make it work only on an upgraded system like that. It might be interesting to make a more enhanced version for people that have that modification, though then it'll be forced left/right audio which might be a bit weird.

I was curious about MIDI support.  Granted, I'm also curious if on the 8bit outputting music via MIDI would take more or if it'd take less from the CPU, than to just use the POKEY.

1 hour ago, pseudografx said:

Perhhaps you could discuss this with @VinsCool and whether those features could be implemented in RMT?

I'm not interested in using RMT. The biggest feature I have in my player that RMT doesn't have is karaoke text support since I want to translate Alternate Reality music into it. I code on the Atari 8-bit for fun. I'm doing everything on the hardware-level with my own code. I wrote my own OS, SIO, output scripting, etc., working on my own modules for a game engine I plan to make some very complex games with. The music module can stand alone and is what I'm making the XEX files with.

If someone else is going to translate these for use with RMT, feel free to do that, but I'm not interested in using RMT. Take away *my* code, and I don't want to do it anymore. So if this becomes a requirement for contributing to this, then I guess I am done here.

Edited by Zolaerla
clarification
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Zolaerla said:

I'm not interested in using RMT. The biggest feature I have in my player that RMT doesn't have is karaoke text support since I want to translate Alternate Reality music into it. I code on the Atari 8-bit for fun. I'm doing everything on the hardware-level with my own code. I wrote my own OS, SIO, output scripting, etc., working on my own modules for a game engine I plan to make some very complex games with. The music module can stand alone and is what I'm making the XEX files with.

If someone else is going to translate these for use with RMT, feel free to do that, but I'm not interested in using RMT. Take away *my* code, and I don't want to do it anymore. So if this becomes a requirement for contributing to this, then I guess I am done here.

It looks to me like you're really the only one actually doing anything towards it... and if anyone is going to help, they'll do it on your terms.

• Like 1

I have set up the Travelling music. I tried out a Distort 2 voice again in v1 but I think it'd be annoying to hear a LOT of it, since you hear more of the Travelling music than anything else except maybe the combat music. v2 is using pure tones and is my personal choice. The bass line does get a bit out of tune in the higher notes, so I also decided to make a v3 with a different type of bass which I kinda like, but it's a bit odd at the same time. Probably v2 is the best here, but what do other people think? (And of course I missed a flat in measure 17/19 -- the wrong note has already been fixed and wouldn't make it to the final version)

U5-Travelling-v1.xex U5-Travelling-v2.xex U5-Travelling-v3.xex

Edited by Zolaerla
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Zolaerla said:

I have set up the Travelling music. I tried out a Distort 2 voice again in v1 but I think it'd be annoying to hear a LOT of it, since you hear more of the Travelling music than anything else except maybe the combat music. v2 is using pure tones and is my personal choice. The bass line does get a bit out of tune in the higher notes, so I also decided to make a v3 with a different type of bass which I kinda like, but it's a bit odd at the same time. Probably v2 is the best here, but what do other people think? (And of course I missed a flat in measure 17/19 -- the wrong note has already been fixed and wouldn't make it to the final version)

v3 by far for me. I like v2's square waves but not its intonation.

• Like 1

I uploaded a new version of the UltimaV engine.

Downloads are availabe at the first post.

Not that many new features, but a lot of internal reworking and an awful lot of bug hunting and fixes.

Hopefully this is a good base for future improvements and feature implementations.

Have fun!

A8-UltimaV_README_v007.TXT

Edited by Atlan_Roland
PS: sorry for all typos; english is not my native language
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

I'm currently working with Atlan to get some music in the game. The game's in MAD PASCAL, the music player is CA65 ASM, so we have a little language barrier to work around, but very little communication between the two is needed so hopefully it'll be not too bad to set up. It's already looking like a pretty nice port, though.

In any case, the next piece is ready! This time it's "Greyson's Tale", one of the two city pieces in the game. I have created two versions which are very similar, except in the last 1/3, the arpeggios switch to the bass instrument in v1, or is an octave higher than the original in v2. I like both, but v1 gets a little out of tune in a couple parts. Speaking of which, some of the chords had to be slightly modified because they were a little dissonant in the original and sound way off on the Atari... Mostly the bass playing an A-flat while the other voices were doing an E and B, it just didn't work right.

U5-GreysonsTale-v1.xex U5-GreysonsTale-v2.xex

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2023 at 6:34 PM, Zolaerla said:

In any case, the next piece is ready! This time it's "Greyson's Tale", one of the two city pieces in the game. I have created two versions which are very similar, except in the last 1/3, the arpeggios switch to the bass instrument in v1, or is an octave higher than the original in v2. I like both, but v1 gets a little out of tune in a couple parts. Speaking of which, some of the chords had to be slightly modified because they were a little dissonant in the original and sound way off on the Atari... Mostly the bass playing an A-flat while the other voices were doing an E and B, it just didn't work right.

v1 is quite good, v2 is even better.

• Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is checking out Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

I put the a current build as an WIP release at post #1.

Big news is of course integration of @Zolaerla UltimaV Soundtrack for Pokey.

Also, his QuickMusic engine - part of his QuickOS - is used for playback of the songs.

(See also at: http://docs.zolaerla.com/QuickOS/Module/Quick-Music )

The pieces are played back at different locations.
Currently these Songs are integrated:

•   Stones
  •   Rule Britannia
  •   Main Theme
  •   Britannic Lands (Travelling)
  •   Greyson's Tale
  •   Dungeon

Can you find them all? :)

Music can be toggled on and off with CTRL-M inside the game.

Have fun!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent way too long making new note tables, but they're ready to go and though everything isn't exactly "in tune", because that's the POKEY way, at least they're a lot closer.

In any case, every piece of music (unless I missed one) has been converted! I am attaching a .atr file with a menu to play them all for anybody that wants to hear the end results. Requires an XL/XE.

UltimaV.atr

Edited by Zolaerla
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Music sounds good, and the menus are working fine up until the point when a song starts to play. Then I get this on screen -- but music plays without any perceptible problems.

I'm using Altirra 4.10 with this config:

Base system    NTSC 800XL (576K Compy)
Additional devices    Host device (H:), Printer (P:), XEP80
OS firmware    Atari XL/XE OS ver.3 [29F133F7]
Mounted images    Disk: Ultima V - Music.atr [2500FC21]

Debugging    Memory randomization changed

1214374698_u5mmsg.thumb.png.ffd33ac2b6d67953c8eb7febaf93cfc6.png

10 hours ago, MrFish said:

Music sounds good, and the menus are working fine up until the point when a song starts to play. Then I get this on screen -- but music plays without any perceptible problems.

I'm using Altirra 4.10 with this config:

Additional devices    Host device (H:), Printer (P:), XEP80
OS firmware    Atari XL/XE OS ver.3 [29F133F7]
Mounted images    Disk: Ultima V - Music.atr [2500FC21]

1214374698_u5mmsg.thumb.png.ffd33ac2b6d67953c8eb7febaf93cfc6.png

That's really weird. I've been using this menu for a long time without issues, with Altirra. I don't know anything about the XEP80. Will have to check it out some time...

22 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I already tried it with XEP80 turned off: same results.

I'm now using Altirra 4.10 x64 with:

Additional devices    Host device (H:), Printer (P:)
OS firmware    Atari XL/XE OS v3 [29F133F7]
Mounted images    Disk: UltimaV.atr [2500FC21]

I cannot produce the error where the font table is getting corrupted (or CHBASE getting assigned incorrectly in the VBI/DLI). The 1KB font is loaded at $C800 - $CBFF in RAM, and the 512b lyric font is at $C600 - $C7FF.

Is it a specific song in the list or something? Not that that should make a difference.

What happens if you disable H: or P:? I don't know how they work in hardware, but I also have no idea how you have them configured.

Edited by Zolaerla