IGNORED

January 2023 Shooting HSC: Slap Fight

Steven Pendleton

Please throw Kolibri (32X) in the mix. It's a really good STG and it's very interesting. It deserves to be played by many more people.

Sub-Terrania would be a good gravity-based change of pace.

Shadow Squadron feels a little slow and mission based to me, but I'd love to play it. I don't remember seeing a score but most of my time spent playing it was in me pre-caring about score days. A faster and directly score based option would be Star Wars Arcade, but that's hard as hell.

I think it would be good to have a terrible game in the mix every year as well, or at least a widely reviled one. I like XDR but that might be a fun one to see what people think of it.

6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Please throw Kolibri (32X) in the mix. It's a really good STG and it's very interesting. It deserves to be played by many more people.

Sub-Terrania would be a good gravity-based change of pace.

Shadow Squadron feels a little slow and mission based to me, but I'd love to play it. I don't remember seeing a score but most of my time spent playing it was in me pre-caring about score days. A faster and directly score based option would be Star Wars Arcade, but that's hard as hell.

I think it would be good to have a terrible game in the mix every year as well, or at least a widely reviled one. I like XDR but that might be a fun one to see what people think of it.

Kolibri isn't happening for a single reason; there is no score in that game. Believe me, I'd put it there if it had score, but it doesn't as far as I remember.

Star Wars Arcade is very difficult, but I'll think about it. I actually have that one, too.

I may toss Gaiares on the list next year. Pretty sure that score in that game = kill shit, but it's been a while. I want to try to find things that are not simply just kill shit to get score, but that's kind of hard to do for older games. That's why there are a few Toaplan games on the list, as Slap Fight, Slap Fight MD, Kyuukyoku Tiger, and Same! have better/more advanced scoring systems than just killing things.

Same! is going to be fun. Bombs x bonus items = bonus score, and you get absolutely stupid amounts of points if you no miss no bomb the entire game and pick up all of the bonus items. Of course, you get reset to 3 bombs and lose your bonus items if you die, and since it's a multiplier, if you use all of your bombs it multiplies by zero and you get nothing lol

4 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I may toss Gaiares on the list next year. Pretty sure that score in that game = kill shit, but it's been a while. I want to try to find things that are not simply just kill shit to get score, but that's kind of hard to do for older games.

I am in a Gaiares HSC for the Evercade Discord right now and I can confirm that scoring is rococo as hell. Nobody seems to have figured out the rules and there are a lot of bonuses that seem to be driven by odd things. I think it would be a good one.

Today I met the creator of CATS. Yes, CATS, as in

Oy5Sp05L.png.0826d7662c72dc5041e5c9c16af2f842.png

I have therefore finally decided that we will be playing Zero Wing in March! All your high score are belong to us.

If you have never played Zero Wing, the one thing I can tell you is that you are absolutely not ready for this game's stupidly amazing soundtrack. The music in Zero Wing is completely out of control. It's even more insane when you consider that this game was a training exercise and was never even meant to get released, but they did it anyway! I'll show off some secrets in the Mega Drive version that I think few people know about, which is important because those secrets are essential to getting a good score!

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I am in a Gaiares HSC for the Evercade Discord right now and I can confirm that scoring is rococo as hell. Nobody seems to have figured out the rules and there are a lot of bonuses that seem to be driven by odd things. I think it would be a good one.

Alright, I will check it out... but we have literally almost a year before it's time, so while I will probably not forget, remind me in like December or something lol.

9 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Razzie.P - 515,830 - 2-60 - on

I'll edit this post and upload the screenshot tomorrow when I log in on PC.  Using my phone now and it's beibg wonky.

Hell yeah! How's your route through the game looking?

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

best things for score in the game aside from pointblanking stuff with the auto.

What does "pointblanking stuff with the auto" mean?    Is it one of those shooters where you score more points if you're closer to the enemy as opposed to being far away?  Or something different?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Today I met the creator of CATS. Yes, CATS, as in

Oy5Sp05L.png.0826d7662c72dc5041e5c9c16af2f842.png

I have therefore finally decided that we will be playing Zero Wing in March! All your high score are belong to us.

If you have never played Zero Wing, the one thing I can tell you is that you are absolutely not ready for this game's stupidly amazing soundtrack. The music in Zero Wing is completely out of control. It's even more insane when you consider that this game was a training exercise and was never even meant to get released, but they did it anyway! I'll show off some secrets in the Mega Drive version that I think few people know about, which is important because those secrets are essential to getting a good score!

Alright, I will check it out... but we have literally almost a year before it's time, so while I will probably not forget, remind me in like December or something lol.

Hell yeah! How's your route through the game looking?

I think that screen cap was in an issue of game informer on the quiz section. 2003-2004 if i'm not mistaken

On 1/15/2023 at 2:28 AM, Razzie.P said:

What does "pointblanking stuff with the auto" mean?    Is it one of those shooters where you score more points if you're closer to the enemy as opposed to being far away?  Or something different?

See my replay at 12:20

On 1/15/2023 at 6:26 AM, Frozone212 said:

I think that screen cap was in an issue of game informer on the quiz section. 2003-2004 if i'm not mistaken

I made this edit of this screenshot myself a few months ago. It's pretty terrible since there isn't a way to get the Toaplan logo to align with the text without looking like garbage, so I did what I could.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:46 AM, Frozone212 said:

I really don't like bullet hell

This isn't bullet hell. The closest you'll find on this system is V-V. This port is nowhere close to being as good as the arcade version, and it struggles to handle the number of bullets on screen that the arcade version can do effortlessly since it's on the Toaplan V2, the same hardware that Tatsujin Ou, Dogyuun!!, Battle Garegga, Armed Police Batrider, and Battle Bakraid run on.

It's a good port for actually managing to make this game somewhat work on this system, but the fact that it only somewhat works is also what makes it disappointing; this game is clearly beyond the system's capability, and that's why I'm not even sure if we should play it at all. The audio also doesn't sound very good at all compared to the arcade version. That's too bad because the original soundtrack is both technically impressive and very good.

I really like arcade V-V a lot, and I am considering buying the PCB even though it's expensive as hell. The MD version is not really a bad port, but after playing the arcade version on a real PCB at the arcade...

• Like 1

I always find it interesting that I'm always ranting about how ungodly fucking incredible Slap Fight MD is, and that it's the single best shooting game on the system, and one of the best games on the system in general, and yet nobody ever plays it. Then when they do actually play it, the response is always something like this:

5 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

I will GLADLY do MD

just tested for the competition and Holy shit it's awesome

Slap Fight MD is seriously one of the best games on the system. It's awesome. It's not perfect, though; I'll show why one of the bosses is extremely poorly designed next month once it's time.

If you're skipping regular Slap Fight, you might as well start practicing Slap Fight MD. I'll open submissions for Slap Fight MD on the 1st in its own separate thread.

6 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

i've been meaning to ask, do the scores stack? to rephrase: If I die with 2000 on stage one when I died with 500 before, does that score get added or do I have to wait until the next area?

Everything always gets added; this is how you can milk the bosses, too; let a boss shoot, and then kill it. Once it is dead, intentionally let one of the projectiles hit you and get killed, then repeat until you are on your last extend to get a ton of points. There is a strange glitch in Slap Fight MD where the top counter's area doesn't update properly if you game over at the final boss, but I forget how it actually works. I'll figure it out.

• Like 1

I just realized that I should probably do some sort of midpoint score table thingy since we are past the month's halfway point already. I'll get on that tomorrow. In the meantime, if you haven't submitted your most current score in the proper format that allows me to be super lazy, please do so. Here it is again so you don't have to go search for it.

NAME - SCORE - AREA - RAPID ON/OFF

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Can you turn rapid off? Would you want to?

What are the plant sprouts about?

What order of upgrades do you go for? I have been doing three and increasingly four speeds, then side, then wings.

Sometimes I accidentally set myself up the bomb, which I hate. Is it actually good for anything?

Didn’t quite do as well as last score, but I am memorizing everything better. Actually I died twice eminently stupidly here so I should have done better.

7028C778-DC56-45F4-B27D-42D116EA2E05.thumb.jpeg.92861c32754cb693101612c11282b7e2.jpeg

Hell yeah, few things are better than some late night Slap Fight on the Astro at 0100!

Pic_0119_209.thumb.jpg.74bb9c4258d85855543eab0ae1bb7f88.jpg

1,246,420 is actually a pretty decent score for not playing it seriously for like 3 months, too! The scoring on the arcade version is different from the MD version, and they will diverge almost immediately even if you play identically on both versions, so the scores are not comparable, although I have not compared them in detail yet. An interesting change for sure.

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Can you turn rapid off? Would you want to?

Yes. No, unless you feel that the autofire is too powerful, which it honestly is.

What are the plant sprouts about?

Which ones? There are the bomb ones and the laser ones, but both give points.

What order of upgrades do you go for? I have been doing three and increasingly four speeds, then side, then wings.

Speed, speed, speed, side shot, missile, wing, wing, laser, wing, missile, intentionally lose wings -> optional wing x 2 OR shield -> intentionally lose wings again, bomb, missile, shot, laser, wing, wing, optional wings and/or shield as needed, shot, kill last boss and immediately missile to get the missile panels on the way out from the final boss before the loop restarts. Basically, watch my replay from earlier and pretend I don't mess up.

Sometimes I accidentally set myself up the bomb, which I hate. Is it actually good for anything?

Bomb kills certain tougher enemies instantly, blasts holes in the area that is actually the same area in my picture of my Astro in this very post out of some weird coincidence (completely not intentional, but there you have it), grows plants in some areas for points, destroys railing after desert boss that then causes those little rail-riding enemies to fall into the abyss, and destroys some surface objects that only bomb and laser (and I think maybe missile) can hit.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Astro what? is that an actual machine?

I have a Sega New Astro City and a decent number of Toaplan's best arcade PCBs including Slap Fight.

7 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

the stress alone from slap fight is going to give me a heart attack from anger. I quit until the next round. please remove my scores

If that's what you want, okay. Just so you know, this is by far the easiest game we are playing this year. Stay far, FAR away from Kyuukyoku Tiger, as it is easily and unquestionably one of the single most difficult games on this system, even surpassing the legendary and infamous difficulty of its already brutal (but always fair) arcade version. Arcade Kyuukyoku Tiger is a stupidly badass game, but this Mega Drive version is completely insane.

23 hours ago, Frozone212 said:

Astro what? is that an actual machine?

Arcade Cabinet

https://segaretro.org/New_Astro_City

On 1/1/2023 at 2:00 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Please someone/anyone/everyone beat my score or I'll feel really bad. I am stopping at 4-0, but if you can go farther than that, or even counterstop the game, please do so! You have a month to practice, so you can definitely get the top spot if you try!

Steven - 2,819,510 - 4-0 - ON

My overly simplistic approach is missing a ton of points, it seems.    Just hit 3-42, but nowhere near that score.

1,191,640 - 3-42 - ON

I'm confident I can beat that score, but I don't think I'll get to the point where I can do it by area 4.  

• Like 1