IGNORED

WATA Invaders!

KaeruYojimbo

Late one night while searching the dark web for proof that Guy Fieri and Paul Hollywood are products of a sinister illuminati cloning operation you accidentally stumbled across an even more diabolical plot: WATA's plan to seal every copy of rare Atari 2600 games behind an impenetrable wall of graded copies of Space Invaders! Armed only with your name brand foam dart launcher you head to the secret WATA warehouse to stop them!

Wata_Invaders_20230108.thumb.png.7efdcf062079f43119344dd93f021a9c.png

The WATA guy moves back and forth across the top of the screen. Whenever he reaches the edge he adds a game to his wall. Move your character left and right with the joystick and use the fire button to launch a foam dart. Hitting the WATA guy with a dart stuns him momentarily and causes him to drop a rare Atari game. Collect 10 games to get a bonus and start a fresh wave.

If your dart hits the wall of games, it will reflect back to you (I did say it was impenetrable after all). Additionally, the WATA Guy will chuck graded games at you in self defense. If either your dart or a graded game hit you, you lose a life. If a graded game lands, it will stay on screen for 4 seconds, acting as a barrier. The game ends when you lose your last life or the WATA Guy finishes his wall.

I plan to add a Breakout-like second phase to the game. When it's finished, the game will alternate between phase 1 (the current game) and phase 2.

This is an update of the Sky Destroyer game I made a few years ago. I still need to update some of the sounds and graphics and add a few other things.

Latest ROM

Wata_Invaders_20230108.bin

• Like 5

In all seriousness, I tried out the original Sky Destroyer game...and I gotta say that was a pretty good game. Funny thing is...I barely know who WATA are, but I can tell they're not the greatest authority on ranking video games based on cart condition.

New ROM in the first post. Here's a breakdown of the changes:

Lives - You now start the game with 3 lives. The game ends when you run out of lives or the WATA guy finishes his wall.

Darts - If your dart hits the wall it will reflect back to you. If it hits you, you lose a life.

WATA Guy - He now throws graded games at you. If one hits you, you lose a life. When it lands it stays on the playfield for 4 seconds, acting as a barrier.

I'm working on a second phase. Once it's finished, the game will alternate between Phase 1 (the current game) and Phase 2.

• Like 2

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing WATA Invaders on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)