IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2023 (Season 16)

carlsson

Week of 5/15/23 - 5/21/23

Arcade

Asteroids - 10

Donkey Kong - 10

Frogger - 10

Pac-Man - 10

Atari 2600

Crystal Castles - 60

PC DOS

F. Godmom - 75

Total time = 175 minutes

Fun week! My daughter took me to a comic shop she found that had some working arcade machines in the back, I really enjoyed the 2600 HSC, and I am just 2 levels away from finishing F. Godmom.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

I like Crystal Castles just like I like Joust, but I'm not good at either one.  Maybe I will do better in the season end tournament , if I even make the cut this time.

I think the 2600 version of Crystal Castles is kind of underrated.  It looks pretty bad at first glance, but the gameplay is really solid. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lord_of_Sipan said:

Unless watching my brother play wizards dungeon and moon cresta counts lol

From time to time, we have included family members into the tracker, like "my wife played X hours of this game" but primarily I think it should be /your/ gaming.

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 20, running from May 15-21. We logged 3577 minutes of eligible play, playing 72 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Phantasy Star Online (ver 1 & 2) (Dreamcast) - 840 min. (#1)
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 314 min. (#6)
3. Kyuukyoku Tiger (Arcade) - 250 min.
4. El Viento (Genesis) - 200 min.
5. Adventures of Lolo 2 (NES/Famicom) - 143 min.
6. Record of Lodoss War (Dreamcast) - 100 min.
7. Crystal Castles (Atari 2600) - 99 min.
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 96 min.
9. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 90 min.
10. Mega Man X3 (JP Rockman X3) (SNES) - 81 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 314 min. (PN#2)
2. Crystal Castles (Atari 2600) - 99 min.
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 96 min. (PN#3)
4. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 90 min.
5. Pooyan (Arcade) - 56 min. (PN#5)
6. Frogger (Official/Starpath) (Atari 2600) - 45 min.
7. City Connection (Arcade) - 36 min.
8. BurgerTime (Arcade) - 33 min.
9. Turtles (Arcade) - 22 min. (PN#10)
10. Worms? (Atari 8-bit) - 17 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Dreamcast (13 games) - 1293 min. (#1)
2. Arcade (20 games) - 649 min. (#4)
3. Atari 2600 (6 games) - 566 min. (#3)
4. Genesis (5 games) - 267 min.
5. SNES (12 games) - 258 min. (#5)
6. NES/Famicom (6 games) - 231 min. (#2)
7. Atari 5200 (1 game) - 90 min.
8. PC DOS (1 game) - 75 min.
9. TG-CD/PC Engine CD (2 games) - 42 min.
10. Game Boy (1 game) - 40 min. (#7)

Possibly the demand for Dreamcast hasn't been this great since its launch almost 25 years ago. Phantasy Star Online remains in the top, and another 12 games helps it outclass all the other systems. In between, Solar Fox tops the pre-NES list by a margin of more than 3.5 hours.

No changes to the 1000, 5000 or 10000 Minute Clubs this week.

For the record, I did some research at The Cutting Room Floor regarding regional differences. I found that Mega Man X3 and Rockman X3 on the SNES should pretty much be the same thing. Same about Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island in its various versions, the two Mickey Mouse games, Kirby Super Star and Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Super Bonk 2 appears to be Japanese exclusive, just like almost all the Super Bomberman versions.

However Super Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country seem to have enough differences to warrant separate entries.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

NES- 

1943- 2hrs 45min

Star Force- 10min

SNES-

Aero Fighters- 30min

Strike Gunner STG- 90min

Bio Metal- 20min

Gradius III- 65min (actually burnt out the power supply on this run)

Super Solitaire- 75min

Choplifter III- 35min

Genesis- 

BioHazard Battle- 30min

Edited by zylon
  • Like 6

On 5/24/2023 at 1:56 AM, carlsson said:

Super Bonk 2 appears to be Japanese exclusive, just like almost all the Super Bomberman versions.

However Super Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Country seem to have enough differences to warrant separate entries.

Yes, it is weird that in many places Chou-Genjin 2 is listed as Super Bonk 2, even though there has never been a game released by that name. But that is probably because Super Bonk did get a western release, so the name is therefore associated to the sequel. And Super Bomberman 3 actually did have a PAL-release.

Nice info about DKC, no wonder the game felt like a breeze after so much time. It's rare (pun intended) that a game would be made easier for the japanese market.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Wayler said:

It's rare (pun intended) that a game would be made easier for the japanese market.

Yes, I thought the same. Perhaps DKC was considered a children's game and adjusted in difficulty for that, while most shooters are more for grown-ups and the opposite is true there.

• Like 4

Since RoLW doesn't save unless you are at a save gem I am back to writing down game times after dying and not getting to save several times. Also got a new game this week.

Dreamcast

Record of Lodoss War - 960min

Gunlord - 45min

IMG_20230524_151325581.jpg

IMG_20230528_012254903.jpg

• Like 5

Atari 8-bit:
Archon - 48 min.
M.U.L.E. - 68 min.

More from the Electronic Arts special. On Tuesday, which marked exactly 40 years since the first batch of games arrived in stores, I played a fairly good round of M.U.L.E. (see that thread for details). Today I played two rounds of Archon, in which I failed twice to win as light. The last time it was one shot away, my wizard against the computer's basilisk. As this round ends on Wednesday and normally I have no time to play video games during the work week, I imagine this concludes my part of the EA 40 celebration. I played all five games, of which I spent the least time on Hard Hat Mack, the most arcade platform style game. It is natural that I spent the most time on M.U.L.E. since a Tournament round takes some 60-70 minutes to finish with three computer players, probably closer to 90 min if one would play against other humans.

• Like 6

Here are my times for this past week (May 22nd through 28th) on classic systems...

Arcade:

Pooyan - 12

Traverse USA - 101 min. in 5 sessions

This week, I only played 1 session of Pooyan anymore, instead I started to play Traverse USA. I actually try to imagine how this game could look like in 3D in a perspective seen from the motorcycle rider. There was a Remix version announced with the new Intellivision console, but I don't know if it really will get released, I can remember that this game, back in 1981, was the first thing through which I learned the appendixes to numbers such as "th" and "rd" which you don't often see in this form. In the game itself, I think I got through to the 4st leg of the first way through, and then I used one continue and managed to get the goal on the board, New York.

• Like 6

5-player Bomberman and Battle Cross was fun. Still tackling Megaman X3 but this week I switched to the US version so I can follow the all important plot twists.

SNES

Battle Cross (jp) - 22 min

Mega Man X3 (us) - 131 min

Super Bomberman 3 (PAL) - 34 min

• Like 6

Week of 5/22/23 - 5/28/23

Atari 2600

Communist Mutants from Space - 20

Frogger (Official/Starpath) - 35

Rabbit Transit - 55

Commodore 64

Impossible Mission - 120

PC DOS

F. Godmom - 25

Total time = 255 minutes

I finished F. Godmom! Apparently there are 50 more levels that you had to mail away for. I might have to search for those so I can be fully complete, but this is good enough for now.

I also finished Impossible Mission last night. This was a game I played a lot as a kid but never really understood fully. I used a lot of save states to get to the end but now that I understand how to get there I'm going to try again without cheating!

• Like 6