IGNORED

Best 5200 games (1982-87 only please) you owned in your opinion?

BIGHMW

This thread was inspired by @oky2000's similar thread for the 2600.

So how 'bout it!!! ....and, as much as we love our homebrew, hack, and A8 conversion communities this pertains only to the original 69 titles officially released between 1982-1987 (excluding unreleased prototypes).

Centipede

Star Raiders

Pac-Man

Star Wars - The Arcade Game

Q*bert

Missile Command

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 8bitAndy said:

The games I played the most -Realsports Baseball

Montezuma's Revenge

Mario Bros

Super Cobra

You should throw up a montezma score over at HSC season 17 round 1, it's game of the month

6 minutes ago, ClausB said:

I can understand why you, zylon, don't care much for Star Raiders.

only port of SR I can play, is the 2600 version. The rest, I just end up spinning off into space, like Vader, lol. Insanely hard, at least for me.

2 hours ago, Knimrod said:

I was really impressed with Defender and especially Berzerk which had the robot voice and played very much like the arcade version.

I played marathons of Defender in 1983 as it was one of my first 10 titles I had for her, one time I racked up over 7 million points, and the controls and how they were mapped on the CX52 made it (and also Star Raiders) stand out from the rest of the bunch, no having to put down the stick to look for the right key to utilize either the smart bomb or engage hyperspace, it was all there in that perfectly form-fitting controller.

As for Berzerk, full marks on her as well, I got it in the summer of 1984 along with Ms. Pac-Man, I already knew about the built-in voice in RealSports Baseball, the thing that made the 5200 superior to every other console at that time was that you didn't have to buy yet another module for the voice like you had to with Intellivision (the Intellivoice) or with Odyssey2 ("The Voice"), that, was a significant advantage Big Sexy has over even ColecoVision let alone everybody else.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I played marathons of Defender in 1983 as it was one of my first 10 titles I had for her, one time I racked up over 7 million points, and the controls and how they were mapped on the CX52 made it (and also Star Raiders) stand out from the rest of the bunch, no having to put down the stick to look for the right key to utilize either the smart bomb or engage hyperspace, it was all there in that perfectly form-fitting controller.

As for Berzerk, full marks on her as well, I got it in the summer of 1984 along with Ms. Pac-Man, I already knew about the built-in voice in RealSports Baseball, the thing that made the 5200 superior to every other console at that time was that you didn't have to buy yet another module for the voice like you had to with Intellivision (the Intellivoice) or with Odyssey2 ("The Voice"), that, was a significant advantage Big Sexy has over even ColecoVision let alone everybody else.

We know the 5200 controller is despised by most people, and true, there are few games that suffer because of it (looking at you Kangaroo). But, with the games you mentioned above, I believe the 5200 controller actually enhances the game play and makes it better. Defender, Berserk and Star Raiders to name a few. I also think Pole Position fits into this category as well. 

• Like 3

Defender
Centipede
Pac-Man
Star Raiders
Countermeasure
Miner 2049'er
Missile Command
Qix
Galaxian
Pole Position

These were staples of our gaming sessions when were in the arcade mood. Always played them on the 400/800 for reliability reasons however. And the crisp responsive digital controllers which were cheaply available and easily fixed or replaced if we broke them. The 5200's controller's were impossible for a kid to fix - short of remaking and re-wiring everything into a new custom box.

• 4 weeks later...

In my youth, my family only had the Atari 2600 and I moved on to the C64.  I just recently bought my first 5200 system and started playing some of the original games.  Last year I picked up my first 7800 system and some games.  I immediately noticed that games sound SOOO much better on the 5200.  Good ol' Pokey chip!

First, I have to mention that the very rare 5200 port of M.U.L.E. is awesome!!  But that is not one of the originals and I don't own it.

So, here are the favorites games from an Atari 5200 newbie (I only own 10 games so far):

BallBlazer

Gyruss

Popeye

Qix

The next two I want to buy are Joust and Moon Patrol.

• Like 2

Back in the 1980's I owned an 8 bit (130 XE) and had almost all of the 5200 titles either on disk or cartridge.

In Jan 2022 I bought a 5200 I saw for sale in an old school mom/pop TV repair store and have since loaded up on the same games on 5200.

While Pac Man, Dig Dug, Super Breakout, Berzerk, Popeye, Star Trek and Pole Position are awesome, the all time best arcade conversion to the 5200 has to go to Defender.

• Like 1