IGNORED

HSC20 Round 1: Donkey Kong Jr *New Season 2023 Join In!*

Donkey Kong Jr.

Donkey Kong Junior

Let's get the season started! Leaving Ms.Pac-Man as a high-heeled shoe-in for round 2 poll winner we will play DK Jr. It's a tricky game and casual ganers may struggle, so play on Level 0 which doesn't have the crocodiles, otherwise take the default level 1.

Play any of the three versions: Fandal has Original, plus arcade and enhanced editions - they have the same game play as far as I know. If anyone finds anything interesting or gets an advantage from this then so be it. Please post which version you play. Atarimania has instructions Round 2 poll will start in a week or so.

Bonus Challenges - to be played as part of normal goes:

Highest score on the first level (2 boards)

Highest score on the first man

Best McKong's HSC record of 529,400 good luck with that :-o

Have fun, Join In, any help just ask :)

Round provisionally ends Weds 1st Feb 2023 8pm UK time

• Like 1

DK JR HINTS PACK!

From last time we played, I'm no DK Jr. master but this might help a few of you...

I've had a go at a guide for the first screens that might help players get a few more points ;)

[forgot to say if camped under fruit, go up to pop it onto descending snappers - also after [2] you can jump R from the middle of the top platform to the rope [3] withougt disturbing the fruit, also try jump R from the far left side - hey, it's fun!]

post-19705-0-80914100-1543410603_thumb.png

DK Jr. Hints: DK Jr. is a tough one, theres no escaping it. I can offer the following; you can get more points on the first level, over 10K for each of the first two screens if you take out a few baddies using the fruit, so if you can't get far go for this as a strategy rather than a quick completion. You can take out descending baddies from below the fruit too. Generally a lot of placement tapping l/r to position yourself before the jumps especially on the spring scren. Often you can camp out and are safer than you think so explore the game. Usually at the top of the screen a single jump will reach the last chain. You can jump up the step more quickly (you do not jump) on the top of the first screens by walking into it and then pressing fire. The sparks go in a pattern, watch the top part where they go from 1-4. go after they have done the 4 down at the same time.

Have fun and I forget but you can jump down onto that spring from somewhere too :)

graywest:

>>>

Just a small hint - on the springboard level, you can do an extra-high jump from the springboard if you tap the button when you land on it. The manual mentions this, though it isn't very clear.

This is the same behavior as the arcade cabinet, but the timing is much more difficult on this version. I usually find myself hammering the fire button multiple times: sometimes I jump high, sometimes I don't.

Wait to begin your jump onto the springboard until the orange platform overhead has just begun its trip back to the left, and you should land on it. If you pull off the move, it will save time and potential danger crossing under the exploding eggs.

Oh, and one other thing I noticed - after you get to level 4, killing the red snapjaws doesn't remove them permanently from the screen anymore, so beware! As soon as you drop a fruit on one, Mario kicks out another. I think this is the same behavior as the arcade version as well, but I don't remember for sure.

<<<

McKong:

I try to use the double jump every time, and manage it most tries, it just saves a bit of time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it's a start. 27,000.  Would have been marginally higher had I not walked right off the edge as soon as I got to level 4.

As a side note, I'm playing the default level 1 with the standard Fandal version and I had to reload it about 4 times to get it to open.  I either have a 1200xl problem or a maybe there's a glitch in the ROM.

PXL_20230118_192218656.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marius said:

@therealbountybob Is it okay that my 14 year old daughter joins the HSC? She will use the name Dinky2008 ... I will post her scores too and specify which one were her scores and which one were my scores. Is it okay?

Hi Marius

Last time i participated we had a 'junior' atarian whose scores were posted by their parent as you suggest.  i am certain it is fine with mr. bob; i only speak up because it's getting pretty late over there :)

I had this game back in the day and surprisingly i... am not any worse at it.

Early returns 14,400 for level 1 and 51,900.  Died to the sparks, can't remember if I ever passed it yet.

atari000.png.c79e609407f40f1fae11c313ae7b7fdb.pngatari001.png.541cbeebcc5a84f89039dc409950befe.png

• Like 2

Yes, we've had several kids of AAers joining here. Most scores were posted by their parents, some may have created own accounts even.

Edit: With the scores posted so far, compared to my PB from when we played it last time in 2018, it seems that I may need some youngsters, ideally under the age of 6, to match my future scores against.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MagicMarc-er said:

Well, it's a start. 27,000.  Would have been marginally higher had I not walked right off the edge as soon as I got to level 4.

As a side note, I'm playing the default level 1 with the standard Fandal version and I had to reload it about 4 times to get it to open.  I either have a 1200xl problem or a maybe there's a glitch in the ROM.

anyone with same problem or other difficulties please post - if the files are problematic we can let Fandal etc know :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, Marius said:

@therealbountybob Is it okay that my 14 year old daughter joins the HSC? She will use the name Dinky2008 ... I will post her scores too and specify which one were her scores and which one were my scores. Is it okay?

:thumbsup: even if they beat yours?!!! ;)

19 hours ago, thank you said:

Hi Marius

Last time i participated we had a 'junior' atarian whose scores were posted by their parent as you suggest.  i am certain it is fine with mr. bob; i only speak up because it's getting pretty late over there :)

I had this game back in the day and surprisingly i... am not any worse at it.

Early returns 14,400 for level 1 and 51,900.  Died to the sparks, can't remember if I ever passed it yet.

Need to watch them for a while, I have the learning curve too which is a good sign DK Jr is due a HSC play :)

18 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yes, we've had several kids of AAers joining here. Most scores were posted by their parents, some may have created own accounts even.

Edit: With the scores posted so far, compared to my PB from when we played it last time in 2018, it seems that I may need some youngsters, ideally under the age of 6, to match my future scores against.

Yes everyone welcome no matter how young or not so young. I rope in anyone I can to play whenever I can! I'm sure my cats can be trained to use the paddles... I've seen them playing pianos on the internet :D

10 hours ago, MichaG said:

It looks so easy but it isn't. The first night brings 24,100 points...

Yes I had to think hard as Mr.s P was a good first round pick that everyone can play, but at least if people struggling with Jr survive the first HSC round they have an easier one in round 2 if it wins the poll of course ;-)

• Like 1

Level 1 bonus 20,200

First man also 20,200 didn't help as I held the stick with my other hand to start the level before I was concentrating and walked right off the first platform!

Score 97,600 (level 4 I think)

Photo4082.jpg.6faa8da06fee1837dcf0874e13338947.jpgPhoto4080.jpg.b2bc4755cc6f1d1657fea5fec50167f9.jpg

Going to have more exploratory goes before reading up on everything above

:)

• Like 1

Am trevelling and can only play Emulator (which I hate). Staying at a friends place in SLC,UT using his PS5 Controller with Atari800MacX, Original version from Fandal and PAL settings.

First run: 21700 pts

DKjr_skr_01.thumb.png.338d3d50ed1a658264be7f3ee01e4ef3.png

Will try NTSC, too. I normally like the higher speed of NTSC versions.

• Like 3

Donkey Kong Junior (1st level high score): 22,200

In this go, I got lucky several times by killing multiple enemies with one fruit!

20230119_184227.thumb.jpg.d07c81d6a90da9776ad4c459014d1834.jpg

The top score in the pic above is my general high score in this game.

Donkey Kong Junior: 34,300

I can do better (didn't even get close to Mario's Hideout tonight!) but now I'm taking too many risks, trying to run up my score, and making silly mistakes. 🙂 

Haven't tried the 1 man high score challenge yet, will give that a go tomorrow!

(BTW: I'm using the NTSC cart version.)

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

(playing the enhanced version under atari800 emulator on PAL using the keyboard)

i was stoked to get 39100 on my first man...

atari006.png.3388a91ad21975e25f0c234f9578935f.png

...then my second man never moved before the blue snapjaw chomped his head because i was busy taking the screenshot :)

still a personal best 83,900 though

atari007.png.d8eeb29c25a8ede77ba2bd0df2b90ac4.png

• Like 2

My daughter and I have been playing this a few time, but we are not so happy with the controls. It feels slightly too sensitive. In many games when you die, you absolutely got the feeling: ok this was my fault... but in Donkey Kong Jr. it feels that 50% is due to the controls that are too sensitive. I also remember this from playing the (pretty cool) game Mousetrap. Is it just us, or are more people having all kind of frustration with the controls in Donkey Kong Jr.?

After one brief attempt, I'm starting to wonder if Donkey Kong Jr is not an even worse game than Mountain King is? So far this time around, I haven't cleared the first screen so around 4000 pts. Given my PB is at least 10K, I hope to be able to reach at least a few screens into it once I get the levels memorized again. How the rest of you score 5X-40X as much is beyond my understanding.

3 hours ago, McKong said:

Maybe this game is more suited to certain joysticks, I use a competition pro, which seems perfect.

Well, yes... but we have The Arcade joysticks, made by Suzo. Which are pretty equal to Competition Pro (in fact better, in my opinion). They also produced the joysticks in original Arcade cabinets. They work with microswitches as well. But somehow the game does not feel completely in control. But I will keep exercising. I think the HSC is always a good reason to practice on a game!

6 hours ago, Marius said:

My daughter and I have been playing this a few time, but we are not so happy with the controls. It feels slightly too sensitive. In many games when you die, you absolutely got the feeling: ok this was my fault... but in Donkey Kong Jr. it feels that 50% is due to the controls that are too sensitive. I also remember this from playing the (pretty cool) game Mousetrap. Is it just us, or are more people having all kind of frustration with the controls in Donkey Kong Jr.?

My view is that when beginning with the game there is a lot of disappointment with the controls - the feeling I would have is - I didn't walk off the pad, I didn't miss that jump, etc.  However, the controls are very consistent, and eventually the timing is just part of motor memory.   This thread has made me realize I was never all that good at the game, maybe I could get 60k, but I do know in the early rounds, I don't find the controls to be an issue.  I mean I am still reminding myself to do clean control and there were some quick maneuvers where I'd be a pixel away from a bird, or on the first screen where I could drop back down off a vine very fast, that I'm toying with, I mean I try it because I haev a memory of doing it- but currently still jumping to my death as I relearn the timings.  I play with a regular atari brand 2600 joystick.   

2 minutes ago, Mark2008 said:

My view is that when beginning with the game there is a lot of disappointment with the controls - the feeling I would have is - I didn't walk off the pad, I didn't miss that jump, etc.  However, the controls are very consistent, and eventually the timing is just part of motor memory.   This thread has made me realize I was never all that good at the game, maybe I could get 60k, but I do know in the early rounds, I don't find the controls to be an issue.  I mean I am still reminding myself to do clean control and there were some quick maneuvers where I'd be a pixel away from a bird, or on the first screen where I could drop back down off a vine very fast, that I'm toying with, I mean I try it because I haev a memory of doing it- but currently still jumping to my death as I relearn the timings.  I play with a regular atari brand 2600 joystick.   

This is true, and I must say... using a modern LED/TFT screen is not helping either. Some people might say this is nonsense, but it is true. There is some (very tiny) lag between what you see and what is happening, and just those timing things you are referring too, are just making this problem harder. I will try to play the game with an old fashioned TUBE TV. I am sure it will get better then....

Am I the only one who noticed this issue with modern TV's? I also find it happening with other timing critical games. 

7 hours ago, Marius said:

Yeah, the movement of the characters is kind of jerky, and that throws off my control sometimes. I've gotten used to it over the years, but I still accidentally slip off of ledges quite often.

I remember reading somewhere that the programmer of this port INSISTED on using something like compiled FORTH to write the game, which contributed to some of the movement and control issues. 

EDIT: Found it - down toward the bottom of this atariprotos.com article:
http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/dkjr/dkjr.htm
But it sounds like it was rewritten by other programmers later, so maybe that wasn't the issue.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 1