pps

No, it is not the final release, but I don't want to crash @ZeroPage Homebrew's latest games thread with my development news.

Beta3 is out and gives some improvements:

changes since beta2:
- added keyboard option for playing (left, right, up, down and z are used
  without any other key needed, so +, *, -, =, and z in fact)
- added 6 new tiles (first appears @level 3)
- added sfx and statistics for getting a tetris (remove 4 lines at once)
- changed scores bonus from level 3 upwards
- corrected level 7 graphics bug
- corrected sfx issues (rush esp. with stereo and just sfx playing)
- some other small things changed or adjusted

mytris_beta3.thumb.png.fdd1ae502507795493777e3c5370c5c7.png

Shortie with some of the new tiles:

get it @ABBUC forum

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

nice development, I hope you will share the sources in your github to learn 😄

Maybe it will be there in the end, but I have to rework sources a lot for that. Atm it is in my old style, dirty - nearly one file with just very small amount of comments and many of them in German. 

I often tend to code in that dirty style with just one big source esp. when I code in a rush, I add something, then something else and suddently there is almost everything in just that one file 🙃

Edited by pps
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pps said:

Maybe it will be there in the end, but I have to rework sources a lot for that. Atm it is in my old style, dirty - nearly one file with just very small amount of comments and many of them in German. 

I often tend to code in that dirty style with just one big source esp. when I code in a rush, I add something, then something else and suddently there is almost everything in just that one file 🙃

That's perfect!  I hope you post it anyhow.  Code usually starts from something small and evolves.  This will show the first major evolutionary milestone of the game!

33 minutes ago, pps said:

We all start something messy without comments or anything, but when we finish it we apply some order to upload it to github. About the comments in German, don't worry, there are translators for that. 😉

• Like 1

Small update, what I managed to put into dev. version today - will be in next beta:

• pause game by pressing shift key
  • added 2nd joystick configuration - > fire button for turning tile and stick down for speed drop. Joy up is still listened to for other turning direction
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, pps said:

Small update, what I managed to put into dev. version today - will be in next beta:

• pause game by pressing shift key
  • added 2nd joystick configuration - > fire button for turning tile and stick down for speed drop. Joy up is still listened to for other turning direction

you need more buttons it wouldn't be a bad idea to add Joy 2B+ support when you have some time. 😅

The Tetris arcade version has one button (rotate) and a stick. That's all it needs. The game mechanics just need to be tweaked to make it as close as possible to the original. It's pretty damn good as it is. When you drop the pieces in the arcade version, it's more of an on/off instead of a trigger.

1 hour ago, Vyvyan B. said:

The Tetris arcade version has one button (rotate) and a stick. That's all it needs. The game mechanics just need to be tweaked to make it as close as possible to the original. It's pretty damn good as it is. When you drop the pieces in the arcade version, it's more of an on/off instead of a trigger.

I really do not want to get as near as possible to the arcade tetris. That's why "mytris" mode is the standard and "tetris alike" mode just an added option.

Esp. that you have just one option to move every step a tile falls down (in "mytris" mode) and that tiles are not falling in in the middle of the tube causes you to change the whole way, you ever played tetris.

If you want an as ecact as possible tetris arcade copy, then you will have to search for another game.

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

you need more buttons it wouldn't be a bad idea to add Joy 2B+ support when you have some time. 😅

I am fine with control options. If I can find a working code for CX21/23/50, I will add it to the options. Joy 2B+ might get in, too.

Edited by pps
  • Like 4

Tetris was the shit on SNES when I was a kid, then the Arcade version on MAME a couple of years later when that came out. The button rotated the pieces and speed drop would stop when you let off "down". Same on Gameboy and SEGA versions too. They were all pretty similar in that regard. Anything that deviates from those original game mechanics throws me off.

19 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

The second button does not work, but you can emulate it using Altirra 3.20 to 4.01, version 4.10 does not work, I already reported it.
Also attached Joy 2B+ test program. 😉

Ah, the new Altirra version is the problem. Try to use an older one to be able to test joy2B+ and finally get it working. Maybe it solves my problems getting cx21 input working, too.

• Like 1

v1.00 is online now and I hope you'll have fun playing mytris. get it @ ABBUC e.V. forum

mytris_v1_00.gif.c3648f6274a28c3a3f94fac221c52884.gif

changes since beta4:
- corrected joy2B+ and included autodetection of it
- other -small things- in code changed

Even if further development is paused now, please tell me if something is not working. I will try to patch it then.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a small detail: I did not actually make the SFXs for the game, they were originally created by PG for the game Bunny Hop. :)

Also, I was wondering, is there a way to change the controls to use the Fire button to rotate the pieces, and use the down joystick direction to move faster, and the up joystick direction to make pieces fall instantly?

The background music is really good, by the way!

11 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

Just a small detail: I did not actually make the SFXs for the game, they were originally created by PG for the game Bunny Hop. :)

Also, I was wondering, is there a way to change the controls to use the Fire button to rotate the pieces, and use the down joystick direction to move faster, and the up joystick direction to make pieces fall instantly?

The background music is really good, by the way!

Oh, sorry for this mistake, I assumed, you did the sfx. Will correct the credits in a next version, This info is a bit to late for v1.00 :( For now @least I can (and will) add PG @demozoo entry.

Not all of the wanted inputs are possible. Try out Joy2 or (if you have) Joy2B+ (Altirra 3.20 to 4.00 allows you to set up one by adding paddle0 & paddle1 inverted as @ascrnet showed). That gives you button for turning and down for speed drop. Fast drop and stop is not implemented and planned. For more original feeling you might want to choose "tetris alike" mode, too.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pps said:

Oh, sorry for this mistake, I assumed, you did the sfx. Will correct the credits in a next version, This info is a bit to late for v1.00 :( For now @least I can (and will) add PG @demozoo entry.

No worry, I understand the confusion, since I did not really take the time to properly clarify that part in my dumb sfx routine 😅 

I did make the rudimentary SFX playback code however, and did use them for tests since they were conveniently available to me.

The way it works is pretty simple too.

First it loads the SFX from the specified memory address if it is "queued" to play, then it overwrites the contents of one of the buffered POKEY channel from previously decompressed LZSS data.

The thing could be better, but like I said, it was more for a quick test made just for fun, so I am glad this turned out to be useful for your project!

I did use the same code myself for my game DUMB PONG, after all, hehehe :D

28 minutes ago, pps said:

Not all of the wanted inputs are possible. Try out Joy2 or (if you have) Joy2B+ (Altirra 3.20 to 4.00 allows you to set up one by adding paddle0 & paddle1 inverted as @ascrnet showed). That gives you button for turning and down for speed drop. Fast drop and stop is not implemented and planned. For more original feeling you might want to choose "tetris alike" mode, too.

Alright, thank you very much!

I'm used to the "Nintendo" style of controls since I have grown up with the Gameboy version of Tetris, so it took me a tiny bit of time to adapt to the Mytris controls, glad to know more options will be implemented later.

12 minutes ago, VinsCool said:

Alright, thank you very much!

I'm used to the "Nintendo" style of controls since I have grown up with the Gameboy version of Tetris, so it took me a tiny bit of time to adapt to the Mytris controls, glad to know more options will be implemented later.

Not later, they are just in. Press HELP key to change input mode.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pps said:

Not later, they are just in. Press HELP key to change input mode.

My bad, I missed that part!

Unfortunately I will have to try again later on my computer because this Android emulator somehow doesn't even have a HELP key input 🙀 

Screenshot_20230129_074937_info_galu_dev.xemu65.thumb.jpg.61bd5e1b6701e34121ec8ab686a33145.jpg