IGNORED

E.mul T.wo emulator for developers

alekmaul

I decided (again...) to work on my Colecovision emulator and to try to go further inside emulation.

So, here is a new version, I named it V1.0.0 because I did it from scratch with lots of ColEm, EightyOne parts.

It is made with C++Builder 5.0 and you can grab it here : https://github.com/alekmaul/emultwo

Full source code is of course available, you can do what you want with it, even help me to improve it ;) !

screenshot.png

As it is on Github, you can post defect, feature request, and so on ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It's a great start, especially with the new controllers added.
I noticed that in the controller mapping area the SAC controllers have no way of defining the two extra buttons.

It crashes when using the debugger and most other features like the ADAM part
Work in progress and looking forward to it.

The last time I took a C class was maybe 1987ish  And was using Borland Turbo C.
That was a class, I bought Lattice C for the Amiga and never using it.
I tried Visual Studio and it's as if you have to take a college level course just to use the interface before getting to the programing part.

Assembly was easy compared to everything else so I stuck with that.

I briefly looked what you use and it says it's shareware/trialware something of that nature.

I think that MAME is written to use G++?  So if it is good enough for large project's like that then it would not hurt to give it a try.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

37 minutes ago, Captain Cozmos said:

It crashes when using the debugger and most other features like the ADAM part

What do you mean ? Adam part works on my side 😮 ?

Which other features are not working ? I tested lots of things that works on my side too ...

Edited by alekmaul

OK,

Managed to get into ADAM, not through the icons under emulation but by mounting smartbasic disk.

It did not boot but I closed the program and when I started EmuTwo it booted up in ADAM.  Checked the ICON and it is highlighted.

At the bottom of the screen it says SGM.

Now when I move from ADAM to Colecovision under the ICONS it crashes.

If I boot it into Smart Writer the traditional ESC will not exit SW.  So I am not sure how to remap the keys yet for ADAM.

I tried the SAC controllers again.  No mapping of the purple and blue buttons through the menu, I see it in the config file.
The Roller controller both A and Z only shot downwards using Slither as a test.
The Debugger only crashes for me.
No drag and drop for disk or ddp.
No way to expand memory or use card slots.
I can not load a DDP or Disk that is a custom size.

Some of the keys do not work on the keyboard such as the ?, : and /
I did not test all but maybe just the ones outside the ASCII range.

Please forgive me if this sounds negative in any way, it is not meant to be.  I am very grateful for the emulator.

I am only writing my observations and I do not have a github account to open issues or requests.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

That is really strange as I'm also using W11

image.thumb.png.699c3c324ef5302e6dfa74bb0dadb94a.png

Regarding SAC, as I said in readme (github), it is not yet well emulated, you need to wait for it.

I will try to add logs to help us with your problem :(

One point: what is the name of the folder when you put the emulator. Is the length name with more than 256 characters ?

Edited by alekmaul

I only played around with the emulator for about an hour, but I have to say that I am impressed with the CV side and excited to see ADAM support added. I'll spend some serious time in the coming days testing out the ADAM emulation and report my findings.

As Crazy Cozmos mentioned, I couldn't find the ESCAPE/WP key, but did stumble across a lot of the Symbols keys using the Numpad. I didn't look at the Source files to see if there is something there, but do you have a list of the emulated ADAM keys or have any plans to add an option to config the keys like you have available to configure the Joystick inputs?

YEah, I will add more keys for Adam Compatibility.

You cann find the current assignment here: https://github.com/alekmaul/emultwo/blob/master/src/kbstatus_.cpp

I added ESCAPE in last commits. 

To help me with other keys, what are all the keys supported by Adam ?

And also (sorry about that), what WP means :P ?

Edited by alekmaul

10 hours ago, alekmaul said:

YEah, I will add more keys for Adam Compatibility.

You cann find the current assignment here: https://github.com/alekmaul/emultwo/blob/master/src/kbstatus_.cpp

I added ESCAPE in last commits. 

To help me with other keys, what are all the keys supported by Adam ?

And also (sorry about that), what WP means :P ?

The WP in the ESCAPE/WP key stands for Word Processor. When you turn on or reset the ADAM, it is in Electronic Typewriter mode and you have to press the ESCAPE/WP key to enter the SmartWriter Word Processor.

I will put together some stuff re the Keyboard for you tonight.

No apologies needed! Thank you for making such a great emulator!

7 hours ago, alekmaul said:

It will be great if I can add some stuffs regarding the keyboard.

Attached is the ADAM Keyboard keys chart from the ADAM Technical Manual. Also a couple pics of the Keyboard if you don't have one, etc. The Hand Controller functions as a Numpad and Cursor Control in numerous ADAM programs like SmartWriter, ADAMCalc, PowerPaint, etc... the 2 firebuttons function as well, but I don't recall off the top of my head, perhaps HOME and RETURN, but that is all up to what the programmer configured them to do.

I noticed that you have the EOS5 and SmartWriter roms contained in the EXE. A nice option to add would be the ability to load different versions. On the OS side, there is only one other option, EOS7, but there are numerous SmartWriter rom options available as image files.

Coleco - Keyboard - #02.jpg

Coleco - Keyboard Attachment for Hand Controller - #02.jpg

ADAM Technical Manual - Keyboard keys.html

Edited by NIAD

4 hours ago, NIAD said:

I noticed that you have the EOS5 and SmartWriter roms contained in the EXE. A nice option to add would be the ability to load different versions. On the OS side, there is only one other option, EOS7, but there are numerous SmartWriter rom options available as image files

Dont worry, it is in the next version ;)

image.png.22c31080cb27228862c0f5e5a551d577.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alekmaul said:

Dont worry, it is in the next version ;)

image.png.22c31080cb27228862c0f5e5a551d577.png

Awesome!

I don’t know if it will help, but there is Source Code available for ADAMem, both the DOS version by Marcel de Kogel and the SDL version by Geoff Oltmans which adds IDE Boot ROM / IDE Hard Drive support. Geoff has also made a couple recent Linux updates and mentioned about cleaning up his Source Code.

http://adamarchive.org/archive/Emulators/ColecoVision & ADAM Computer/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NIAD said:

Attached is the ADAM Keyboard keys chart from the ADAM Technical Manual. Also a couple pics of the Keyboard if you don't have one, etc. The Hand Controller functions as a Numpad and Cursor Control in numerous ADAM programs like SmartWriter, ADAMCalc, PowerPaint, etc... the 2 firebuttons function as well, but I don't recall off the top of my head, perhaps HOME and RETURN, but that is all up to what the programmer configured them to do.

I noticed that you have the EOS5 and SmartWriter roms contained in the EXE. A nice option to add would be the ability to load different versions. On the OS side, there is only one other option, EOS7, but there are numerous SmartWriter rom options available as image files.

Coleco - Keyboard - #02.jpg

Coleco - Keyboard Attachment for Hand Controller - #02.jpg

ADAM Technical Manual - Keyboard keys.html 41.99 kB · 3 downloads

Can you provide a link to the whole manual.
Oddly enough, I don't ever remember seeing this keyboard page before in any ADAM manual technical or not.

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

I have all of those in original binders from Coleco, except for the updates.

I guess you found the page on keyboard keys then copied it to HTML.  I wish I knew how to do that but I have never designed a webpage.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

5 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I have all of those in original binders from Coleco, except for the updates.

I guess you found the page on keyboard keys then copied it to HTML.  I wish I knew how to do that but I have never designed a webpage.

The HTML version is contained in the ZIP file at that link. I don't know if the HTML version is complete, but something is better than nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NIAD said:

The HTML version is contained in the ZIP file at that link. I don't know if the HTML version is complete, but something is better than nothing.

I have pretty much everything in the archive up to the last month or so.
Can you make a new snapshot of the changes like the ones from 1-22-2022?

You have made so many changes there would no way to be able to keep up without downloading the entire thing just to mirror everything that you have done.
Great work BTW...

Edited by Captain Cozmos