IGNORED

Creating and modifying text files on the Atari 8-bits... what did we use?

chad5200

What text editor program did we use back in the day to create and modify text files?  Especially ones used for modifying BBS text files like our old WELCOME and BULLETIN text files.

I am not talking about the ATASCII animation creator programs.  I am referring to an editor for straight ASCII/ATASCII text documents.

Bonus points if you can supply the program (ATR, COM, BAS, etc) file or link to download the program.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, videofx said:

I like it's simplicity.  It's quite archaic in it's structure (typing QUIT to save the file) and I wish it could handle SpartaDOS subdirectory files.  But I will continue to try it out.  Thanks!

14 hours ago, MrFish said:

XEdit

I found XEDIT v4.2 and I like it a lot.  However, I see no ability for entering ATASCII graphics into the document as most of the Control characters are tied to functions.  Is there a way to toggle ability to enter the special ATASCII characters that I am missing?

Dang, I even see that CTRL-A is unused.  Would be a perfect key to toggle that function. @flashjazzcat

I honestly can't remember. I think CTRL+ESC or SHIFT+CTRL+ESC is used to allow the entry of a single control character, but since I don't even have the source code lying around (it's on an ATR somewhere), I can't say for sure if there's a modal switch.

TLW does have a persistent escape mode, however, and it's probably a better text editor than XEDIT (certainly in terms of performance).

Edited by flashjazzcat

On 1/28/2023 at 10:10 AM, videofx said:

I used and still use the Atari Program text editor

Ditto, and it does a good job.

Another favourite was to whip up a quick BASIC program to OPEN I/O to a file, PRINT text entered at a prompt out to it, and loop until break.  It's the bearskins and stone knives approach, but if I didn't want to reboot for <insert reason here>, it worked.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:49 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

Well I laugh and cry at that statement, because they did that quite a bit.

They certainly did... the one article they printed of mine was totally rewritten... looked nothing like the original.  But I still got paid... :cool:

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 8:35 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

except that's just the description and links to atarimania, whom does not provide the software.

True, but the wiki tells you that is was part of "Quick Assember", which brings you to (too just name one)  https://archive.org/details/a8b_Quick_Assembler_v1.0_19xx_JBW_pl_a  if you use a search engine.