IGNORED

When tapes were more useful than disks...

Simon Carter

4 hours ago, Simon Carter said:

Just bought myself a couple of the Conversational cassette collections (French and Spanish) and it got me thinking. They must be one of the few occasions that software was better on tape than on disk

Any others?

Since I guess we all grew up in the 80's & 90's when you know games were plentiful and tapes were cheap. discs were more expensive back then, and a simple dual tape ghetto blaster allowed you to "Legitimately" backup your mates tapes for archival reasons! so for pocket money you could quickly double your game collection :)

The 8-Bit Guy just went to the Vegas Consumer Electronics Show.  He highlighted the fact that there are manufacturers STILL making tape players.  He showed some Emerson walkman types.  That blew me away.  I kept my walkman from the day, still have some tapes I sometimes play at work to drown out the BS.  People think I am from the Stone Age.  F()CK 'Em.  DBM.

1 hour ago, gilsaluki said:

He highlighted the fact that there are manufacturers STILL making tape players.

They are, but today's mechanisms are pretty awful.  Anyone looking to get a cassette player / recorder in this day and age would do well to find something in a thrift store or online that has the potential to work properly, or that actually does.

Look for units made up to the late 1990s.  There's a clear decline in quality across the board from Y2K onwards.

• Like 2

Many people, including me, got States & Capitals as their first piece of non-cart software because it was part of the Educator Kit (410, BASIC cart, States & Capitals).  I was disappointed to find out that other tapes didn't include an audio track hyping the program.  The cheesy generic disco soundtrack was truly the icing on the cake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawkeye68 said:

Many people, including me, got States & Capitals as their first piece of non-cart software because it was part of the Educator Kit (410, BASIC cart, States & Capitals).  I was disappointed to find out that other tapes didn't include an audio track hyping the program.  The cheesy generic disco soundtrack was truly the icing on the cake.

I liked that States & Capitals Cassette.  Classic.  First time through I found out that I was just not that smart.

5 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

The 8-Bit Guy just went to the Vegas Consumer Electronics Show.  He highlighted the fact that there are manufacturers STILL making tape players.  He showed some Emerson walkman types.  That blew me away.  I kept my walkman from the day, still have some tapes I sometimes play at work to drown out the BS.  People think I am from the Stone Age.  F()CK 'Em.  DBM.

Wow, flutter, tangles, fast draining of the batteries, size as a brick. Well, yeah. At the time, i was happy to have one too. But not now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, baktra said:

Wow, flutter, tangles, fast draining of the batteries, size as a brick. Well, yeah. At the time, i was happy to have one too. But not now.

I drive an old Alfa Spider from the 80ies, and use the tape deck in there. For that I keep an old tape deck at home as well. 

It's fun.

But I concur, if I had the choice of using Youtube on my mobile or an old Walkman, I'd go for the mobile phone.. :D

• Like 2

Aside from being slow, lot's of folks in the U.S. got soured on tapes by the lack of reliability of the 410.  If we had units (then) as reliable as the 1010 and (even better) the XC-12, tapes might have had a better foothold here.  And of course, Turbo options would have helped greatly.

My first mod of my new Atari was to replace some resistors in my 410 as shown in Antic.  ("tangle angles" by Carl Evans, April 1983 and Feb 1984)  It wasn't a complete cure, but it definitely helped.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steril707 said:

I drive an old Alfa Spider from the 80ies

Good choice - I used to have an '82 :D Really fun cars.

3 hours ago, zylon said:

I got lots of great games on tape, back then, that I wouldn't have been able to buy otherwise.

Same - the only software I could actually afford to purchase when I was a kid were budget titles on cassette.  A lot of titles didn't even see disk releases at the time.

Every great once in a while, nostalgia will take hold and I'll load up a cassette image of The Last V8 or similar via FujiNet.  It's still slow, but at least the FujiNet loads it more reliably than any tape drive ever did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Good choice - I used to have an '82 :D Really fun cars.

Same - the only software I could actually afford to purchase when I was a kid were budget titles on cassette.  A lot of titles didn't even see disk releases at the time.

Every great once in a while, nostalgia will take hold and I'll load up a cassette image of The Last V8 or similar via FujiNet.  It's still slow, but at least the FujiNet loads it more reliably than any tape drive ever did.

My "job" at the time, was to sweep a skating rink parking lot for 2 bucks per day on weekends. It didn't go far, lol

• Like 2