IGNORED

"ANUBIS" ... a new side-scrolling shooter

Retrospect

Well now the mystery glitch has gone, the re-write is going well.  We now have the saucers, and the cruisers following on.. The cruisers are not properly implemented at this point as they need their animation slowing down and they need to move up and down.  But all enemies can be destroyed.  No scoring yet.  

• Like 5

@ti99iuc ..  it can be done with XB compiled, but at this stage I'm not risking complicating it all ... for now, it has to be easy .... when it's finished I'll have a look at making the player ship do multiple shots ... but then we might get the old "4-sprites-in-a-line" limitation .... Player ship + Missile + Enemy is at three already, so it's a bit sketchy at best.

• Like 2

Now we've got the Cruiser ships behaving themselves properly instead of acting like they're at a disco, we've got another enemy after those, called "Attack Ships" ... these will lock on to the player and fly at you.  There's also a random chance that another will immediately follow should you destroy one.  Making good progress with this.  

TEST-X << Have a play.  Loads in XB.  Use the Weird Remote Controller.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

I think I have seen every movie that Ray Harryhausen made. Jason and the Argonauts and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad stand out.

I wonder if the skeleton fight scene was Raimi's inspiration for the Army of Darkness skeleton soldiers.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Now we've got the Cruiser ships behaving themselves properly instead of acting like they're at a disco, we've got another enemy after those, called "Attack Ships" ... these will lock on to the player and fly at you.  There's also a random chance that another will immediately follow should you destroy one.  Making good progress with this.  

TEST-X << Have a play.  Loads in XB.  Use the Weird Remote Controller.

Love the perspective that the ground and the stars give the game! NICE!!!

• Thanks 1

Few more things done, title screen and new enemy, "robots" ... how imaginative ... they walk along the ground occasionally firing at you.  I'll fine-tune them to stop them firing when you're actually past them.  Also implemented "Crash with ground" .  I might get rid of these enemy warnings to save it from being too much like Parsec to be honest.  Just throw the enemies in one after the other.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Few more things done, title screen and new enemy, "robots" ... how imaginative ... they walk along the ground occasionally firing at you. 

How about a bomb button so you can nuke those phase cannons for extra points? :) 

• Like 3

I am thinking the robots should move with the terrain when they fire.  They do not have to move with the front or back terrain, but maybe between since they appear to be between then.  Also, maybe more robots to make it more aggressive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, senior_falcon said:

Do the sprites appear when running in XB? Or are they just in compiled code?

They're only doing it when it's been compiled.  Before, I was turning the colours to transparent to cover this up thinking I'd correct it later.  

Captured here is a "dead" death ship.  There's also a red cruiser that becomes redundant but still floats around until the next time it is called in the routines.

test code.txt << source code.  

10 hours ago, Retrospect said:

They're only doing it when it's been compiled.  Before, I was turning the colours to transparent to cover this up thinking I'd correct it later.  

Captured here is a "dead" death ship.  There's also a red cruiser that becomes redundant but still floats around until the next time it is called in the routines.

I haven't made a lot of progress on this. I see the symptom in the compiled code. Testing this in XB is very difficult. It takes a lot of time to register a "hit."

After hitting a death ship, I got BAD VALUE IN 25411

25411 AF=1 :: CALL SPRITE(#3,108,6,P5,P6,0,-40)

AF=1   P5=0   P6=0    So P5 and P6 are the bad value. I don't think that is the problem because I think the compiler would be OK with this. But I think there is probably something along these lines that is causing the problem.

This problem seems to happen after the last death ship has been killed. See if you can get XB to get this far to see what happens. I suspect the last DELSPRITE is not happening.

8 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I had a near similar and random problem when I changed several characters patterns using the same CALL LINK("VWRITE", addr1, pattern1$, addr2, pattern2$, ...) routine. The ghosts or abnormal sprites behavior disappeared when I used one CALL LINK("VWRITE")  for each pattern modification.

Hi Fabrice: Can you post an example that shows this behavior? I would like to figure out what is happening.