IGNORED

Bad 4051 replacement?

rfancella

Hello all!

I have been working on my newly acquired 800.  Half the keys do not work.  With help reading a couple posts here, I tested the mechanical switch on the board for a key that is not working and it's fine.  I tested most of the traces on the back of the keyboard and they all seem good as well.  I tested the ribbon cable, same there.  I read a post about swapping the 4051s and see if the working/non working keys move.  They in fact do.  :D

I tested both chips in my TL866 and one testes good while the other does not.

So, I found some online replacement chips and am wondering if they are compatible?  The original is an RCA CD4051BEXV and the replacement one is a TI CD4051BE.  Will this TI chip work as a replacement?

Thank you,

Ron

8 minutes ago, rfancella said:

Hello all!

I have been working on my newly acquired 800.  Half the keys do not work.  With help reading a couple posts here, I tested the mechanical switch on the board for a key that is not working and it's fine.  I tested most of the traces on the back of the keyboard and they all seem good as well.  I tested the ribbon cable, same there.  I read a post about swapping the 4051s and see if the working/non working keys move.  They in fact do.  :D

I tested both chips in my TL866 and one testes good while the other does not.

So, I found some online replacement chips and am wondering if they are compatible?  The original is an RCA CD4051BEXV and the replacement one is a TI CD4051BE.  Will this TI chip work as a replacement?

Thank you,

Ron

They seem to have the same specifications so should work fine.

8 minutes ago, reifsnyderb said:

The TI chip should work fine.  Mouser has them for $0.90 each.  I'd get 2 and swap them both.....especially with what you pay for shipping.

2 minutes ago, TZJB said:

They seem to have the same specifications so should work fine.

Thank you both so much for your speedy responses!  This forum always amazes me!

I found a lot of 5 nos on "thaBay" for $6.00.  ;)

Pretty much any generic CMOS CD4051B chip should work, since the application is non-critical from a timing stand point.

Found some even cheaper at 10 pieces for $4.59 shipped.

image.thumb.png.43b575e745164d11b77589dc880d1b83.png

AliExpress BUY Link

EDIT: Be sure to select the CD4051BE box, because when you first land on the page the CD4052BE is the default selection, which wouldn't work.

4 hours ago, mytek said:

That's pretty much a worse case scenario. Usually I get stuff within 2 weeks.

Good to hear, I've only had one case where stuff was mega early, normally it's bang on the expected date from the sale. I don't mind, I'm ready for that date, if it comes early, all good.

• Like 2