IGNORED

Morg Blaster Cartridge

Retrospect

BLAST2-G.BIN <<< MORG BLASTER 2 (With @oddemann's suggestions to make it slightly less brutal)  This is the latest version.  G file for FinalGROM (you'll need 32K and Joystick)

MORGBLASTER-8.BIN, 
MORGBLASTER-G.BIN < two different types of cartridge image

MBLASTER-X < Xb file

MORG BLASTER INTRUCTIONS.txt < read this!

MORG BLASTER .... 

Basic shoot'em'up set in Tombstone City.  The city doesn't protect against these Morgs anymore but it WILL make them falter and slow down chasing you ... also the laser bolts from the two rapidly moving laser cannons each side of the desert, they can't penetrate the city walls but can go through the city.  Blast morgs for points, blast enough of them to get to next level ... if you're on your last life, and you're lucky, a red heart will come from the blue mountains and go down the screen ... catch it before the Morgs do and you get yourself an extra life!  This game was created as a test, whilst things are being looked into with the Compiler, and Anubis , to see if anything is amiss with either.  So I had a spare two-three hours today, and made this.  So far nothing amiss with sprites happens in the code here .... 

Extra note: You can't actually walk INTO a morg and die, the schooner won't allow itself to do that - however the Morg WILL jump on the schooner and eat it.  At any point you die you will re-spawn at a random point at the bottom of the screen.  When morgs are all dead,  8 more will run from the hills toward the schooner.  Morgs cannot be killed by laser bolts but they sort of devour them .... helps the player a little! 

Game keeps a high score and current score.  

New updates :  MORG3-XMORGBLAS-8.BINMORGBLAST-G.BIN

• Like 13

Pictured here is John C Plaster, the author of Tombstone City game, and the University of Tucson, Arizona, where he spent a year and said was his inspiration for the background of the game Tombstone City with the hills and the saguaro.  Plaster made a few titles for the TI-99, and was working on a third game but that never came to pass.  During his making of Tombstone City he said that he was putting things in the game as fast as he could think of them.  I myself can relate to this.  The extra life in Morg Blaster was an after-thought that was put in just before I finished.  

John_C_Plaster.thumb.jpg.e5ac2b23e9780365ef08bf5f65e19ca8.jpg
tucson-1200x700.thumb.jpg.6b31a87e455a8291b21a84a921b22f12.jpg

• Like 7

So I've added the laser cannon to city wall rebound , and it works for both laser cannons ... it won't do much really apart from catch out the player unawares but it DOES add to the "western" feeling of the game due to the ricochet sound effects it makes. 

MORG2-X < xb file

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

So I've added the laser cannon to city wall rebound , and it works for both laser cannons ... it won't do much really apart from catch out the player unawares but it DOES add to the "western" feeling of the game due to the ricochet sound effects it makes. 

MORG2-X < xb file

SSS format, please, so it can be added to FG99, etc. 🙂

6 hours ago, Retrospect said:

gotcha.  well i've uploaded all the formats i could.  it'll be one of those.  

First and foremost!  Another good game.  I don't know how you do it?  Lots of fun!

Regarding the FinalGrom99 cartridge formats....

Both the "MORGBLAS-8.BIN" and "MORGBLAST-G.BIN" will work fine if they are renamed to match the FinalGrom99 file naming conventions.

The "MORGBLAST-G.BIN" filename needs to be shortened / renamed to "MORGBSTG.BIN" (or similar).  This is a "8.3" filename format with the last letter of the filename = "G" or "g".

The "MORGBLAS-8.BIN" will run as named. However, a 32k or SAMs expansion is required for it to run.  (Note: The last letter of the filename cannot be a "G" or "g")

See:

FinalGROM 99 by endlos99

Section = Filenames

"In summary, don't rename cartridge dumps. GROM filenames must not exceed 8 characters AND must end in G. ROM filename must have more than 8 characters OR must not end in D or G."

I think I have this right.  Better minds exist that know all the secrets of the TI universe!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgrissom said:

I don't know how you do it?

I can put things up on screen fairly quickly for shoot em up's, but I'd be screwed trying to make a text adventure.

Lots of fun!

Thanks!  I like it myself, my highest score is 101.  Keep getting zapped by those laser cannons!  This game's done quite well to say it was initially just a test. :) 

Regarding the FinalGrom99 cartridge formats....

Thankyou for that information I will keep it in mind, as people have said they've had problems with some of my cartridge images and I wonder if it was how I named some of them that gave the issues.  :) 

• Like 3

This won't be out for a while but I figured out how to make the player ship do a "recoil" when it fires!  And also, the hordes of enemies are proper swarming in this one because as soon as one dies another one comes over the blue mountains toward the desert!  Have you EVER seen mayhem like this on a TI ?  Cos if you have I wanna know when and where lol

(and the laser cannons aren't even switched on yet!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So with Morg Blaster 1 being nothing more than a test to check wether my brain's working properly or not, I am going to be making Morg Blaster 2 , roughly at the same time as Anubis.

Morg Blaster 2 will be a better effort ... as you can see in the above video , only this time the action takes place in..
* Tombstone City, Arizona 
* Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina
* Devils Tower, Crook County, Wyoming

If you survive long enough to get 100 kills in each place you'll be phased into the next stage.  As it's going to be a high score game, it'll keep rotating around these three places but possibly with increasing difficulty.  The graphics will represent each area in a basic fashion.  This is so you don't get too bored.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

So with Morg Blaster 1 being nothing more than a test to check wether my brain's working properly or not, I am going to be making Morg Blaster 2 , roughly at the same time as Anubis.

Morg Blaster 2 will be a better effort ... as you can see in the above video , only this time the action takes place in..
* Tombstone City, Arizona 
* Pisgah National Forest, North Carolina
* Devils Tower, Crook County, Wyoming

If you survive long enough to get 100 kills in each place you'll be phased into the next stage.  As it's going to be a high score game, it'll keep rotating around these three places but possibly with increasing difficulty.  The graphics will represent each area in a basic fashion.  This is so you don't get too bored.  

We love to visit Pisgah!   

However, based on your demo, I don't think I'll ever get there!  (I think we're gonna need a bigger gun, shields, and probably more!)  😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, retroclouds said:

Do you think having multiple enemy shapes would make sense (like in TI Invaders)

Well, possibly ... though I wouldn't want anything to slow the game down too much ... I could make them change shape per level I suppose that wouldn't be an issue. Anyhow I've animated them now, they step through two frames of animation at the moment, they bob up and down as they walk.  

• Like 2