IGNORED

doubledown's fancy new, Intellivision - Super Pro Arcade Controller

doubledown

4 hours ago, doubledown said:

With regards to machining the aluminum enclosures, I do admit that I have an unfair advantage over most:

akqLYt.png

We have a small CNC mill at work that I operate when needed.  In the world of CNC mills, this is very much considered a hobbyist model...and we mostly only use it for prototyping parts designs, prior to having our fabricators run off a full production lot.  But, for what I need it for, when machining controller enclosures...its gets the job done pretty well...and it does it a helluva lot better (and faster) job than I ever could (both regarding accuracy and repeatability), if I was drilling and/or cutting holes by hand.

D1PJqd.png

The above panel in particular, was machined for a Galaxian "Cocktail" Experience controller that I previously built, using the original arcade control hardware from a North American, Midway MFG., Galaxian cocktail table:

9izhxv.png

The extra switch and rotary knob along the top, are ColecoVision specific for navigating a multi-cart menu (if necessary, as the game control is Left/Right only), and assigning the Player 1 and Player 2 start buttons to the different keypad buttons, for the different difficulty level options in the Atarisoft port.  

Here's the real arcade cabinet for reference...*Note, the following picture has been "borrowed" from the internet:

EBvw93.jpg

For the artwork I use, I print on an Epson XP-15000 wide format inkjet photo printer that I bought a few years back, normally on Premium Photo Glossy paper, then its dual-sided heat-laminated for protection of the art.  I apply a 3M sheet adhesive to the entire back of the laminated artwork, trim it all as one piece, and then apply it like a giant, very thick, sticker.  Then I use a small hobby knife to cut out the artwork where any holes exist for the controls, or for fasteners, or the anything else.  

All pretty simple really!  😁

Oh wow!  Well, that makes sense!  What I would do with that thing!  Thanks for the details.  I kinda figured it was machined when I saw the perfect square cuts.  

Great work!  I'll have to stick to my drills and files.  Lol.  At least it gives it that nostalgic old aircraft appeal.  

35 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Oh wow!  Well, that makes sense!  What I would do with that thing!  Thanks for the details.  I kinda figured it was machined when I saw the perfect square cuts.  

Great work!  I'll have to stick to my drills and files.  Lol.  At least it gives it that nostalgic old aircraft appeal.  

It's obviously a big help.  Its one thing to have a machine shop that can do work for you, its a whole other ball game when you can do it all for yourself.  The only hand filing I have to do is for some "square" controls, as a round cutting mill, cannot cut a perfectly square-cornered, square hole.  I use a 1/16" mill to clean up corners to as "square" as they can be, after I mill the main hole with either a 1/4" or larger mill, but for some controls, even that's too round of a corner.  I've been looking into getting a 1/32" mill to see if that can negate the necessity for any hand filing.  Truly the big benefit with the CNC mill, is that generally speaking you don't need tons of different drill bits, step-bits, or hole saws for different sized holes.  You want a 1.125" hole for a pushbutton, any mill smaller than that can make it, you want a 1" clearance hole for a joystick shaft, the same mill that made your pushbutton holes (as long as that tool was under 1.00" ) will work just fine.  If I find a new control that I want to use, and it needs a hole size I've never done before, big deal, as long as I've got a miller smaller than needed...I can make whatever size hole I want.  Most of the time I'm simply using a 1/4" and/or a 1/16" end mill for almost everything on the panels.

So I've been playing around with the fonts on the TandyVision One version CPO:

ZLM1Ga.jpg

So the top one has:

Radio Shack logo - Radio Shack Font

TandyVision One logo - Tandy font

Controls legends - Tandy font

Super Pro Arcade Controller text - Tandy font

then the middle one has:

Super Pro Arcade Controller text - Radio Shack font

and the bottom one has:

Controls legends - Intellivision font

Super Pro Arcade Controller text - INTV Super Pro font

Any thoughts, or better ideas?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, doubledown said:

ZLM1Ga.jpg

So the top one has:

then the middle one has:

and the bottom one has:

Yikes. At first blush I like all 3. Lol. Need to think this through. 

• Like 1

I've already been thinking more about the SSVA version.  The enclosures I normally buy are black top / black base.  But they do also offer these:

LFAxgV.jpg

Of course I wouldn't want a beige top / blue base enclosure, but if I buy a beige/blue enclosure, and a black/black enclosure, I can make a beige top / black base enclosure.  Alternatively I could paint the enclosure, but I'd really rather just use the factory powdered coated finish.  It would only cost an extra $60-ish to buy the 2nd enclosure, but it would match the console a lot better.  

I did get the color matching done last night for the TandyVision One woodgrain, and I've ordered the few parts today that I need to build that one.  Hopefully I'll be able to reveal that one in a few days, and I'm currently working on the Night Stalker controller layout and artwork, while I await the special control bits that I ordered for that one.  I still need to test print the burl wood sample for the SSVA variant that I found, to see if the resolution is high enough.  And I may need to get an SSVA for color matching purposes.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doubledown said:

ZLM1Ga.jpg

So the top one has:

then the middle one has:

and the bottom one has:

I think I like the third one best with the four fonts

17 hours ago, doubledown said:

ZLM1Ga.jpg

So the top one has:

then the middle one has:

and the bottom one has:

Bottom one would be the one I'd pick.

50 minutes ago, cmart604 said:

I think I like the third one best with the four fonts

That's my favorite too.  The only thing else I will try with the bottom variant, is to swap out the Super Pro Arcade Controller font to the Tandy font (like in the top one) to see what that combo looks like. 

Then the only other option is with regards to the ancillary control colors.  There's the joystick's 4-way/8-way rocker switch, rotary pushbutton assignment knobs, and the pause button...which could all be black (similar-ish to the super dark brown power/reset switches on the TandyVision One console itself), or a white rocker switch w/ white bezel, a white pushbutton, and bright/light silver aluminum rotary knobs...matching more the white text and line art on the CPO...or some combination thereof.  I think the only multi-color combo that would look good, would be a black rocker switch and a black pause button, and the bright/light silver rotary knobs.  Aluminum and woodgrain were obviously very popular back in the day for electronics.  I've ordered the ancillary controls in both all black, and the white/silver variants, so I can assemble and photograph the 3 options for comparison.  

All right...last options:

GiUMrQ.jpg

The top one has:

Controls legends - MT Intellivised font (new Intellivision font from post mentioned above)

and the bottom one has:

Controls legends - SF Intellivisied font (old Intellivision font)

There's not a ton of difference between the MT and SF Intellivisied fonts.  I'm sure that the more proficient Intellivision aficionados would notice right away, but from what I can see the J, G, and T are the most noticeably different. 

I think my pick is still the bottom one, and if the MT Intellivisied font is more accurate, than switch the controls legends font to that one.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, doubledown said:

That's my favorite too.  The only thing else I will try with the bottom variant, is to swap out the Super Pro Arcade Controller font to the Tandy font (like in the top one) to see what that combo looks like. 

Then the only other option is with regards to the ancillary control colors.  There's the joystick's 4-way/8-way rocker switch, rotary pushbutton assignment knobs, and the pause button...which could all be black (similar-ish to the super dark brown power/reset switches on the TandyVision One console itself), or a white rocker switch w/ white bezel, a white pushbutton, and bright/light silver aluminum rotary knobs...matching more the white text and line art on the CPO...or some combination thereof.  I think the only multi-color combo that would look good, would be a black rocker switch and a black pause button, and the bright/light silver rotary knobs.  Aluminum and woodgrain were obviously very popular back in the day for electronics.  I've ordered the ancillary controls in both all black, and the white/silver variants, so I can assemble and photograph the 3 options for comparison.  

Great, looking forward to seeing these

• Like 1

My friend and I decided on the bottom one for his controller, with the ancillary controls' SF Intellivised font switched to the more accurate MT Intellivised font, and that's the one I printed out last night for his.  I'll laminate it, apply the adhesive, and trim it tonight.  Also I believe all the missing parts came in today, so this TandyVision One version should be unveiled sometime this weekend hopefully.  

• Like 1

This would be amazing.

You mentioned, in responses, the possibility of making this unit compatible with 2600. I’d really like to see something that is “2nd Gen Ultimate” - That being an arcade controller that is Intellivision/Colecovision/7800 compatible

It seems that the Intellivision compatibility was the hardest obstacle. With one more button, you could make Colecovision-mode a “Super Action Controller”. Switching could be defaulted to the original finger-positions and just color-matched (red/yellow/purple/blue). As for the 7800, I just want my second button.

You’ve already done so much work, a 2nd-gen catchall would be a boon to retrogamers…a real gamechanger.

I want this thing. Hell, just send me the parts and instructions 😀

3 hours ago, Darthritis said:

This would be amazing.

You mentioned, in responses, the possibility of making this unit compatible with 2600. I’d really like to see something that is “2nd Gen Ultimate” - That being an arcade controller that is Intellivision/Colecovision/7800 compatible

It seems that the Intellivision compatibility was the hardest obstacle. With one more button, you could make Colecovision-mode a “Super Action Controller”. Switching could be defaulted to the original finger-positions and just color-matched (red/yellow/purple/blue). As for the 7800, I just want my second button.

You’ve already done so much work, a 2nd-gen catchall would be a boon to retrogamers…a real gamechanger.

I want this thing. Hell, just send me the parts and instructions 😀

This controller's compatibility with the 2600 (and other systems with controller ports adopting the Atari standard) is already a reality:

KNWbvZ.jpg

Its just a simple custom cable adapter, to re-pin the necessary lines for joystick and one-button control. 

Attempting to create 1 controller to rule them all, and work on every system...gets a lot more complicated.  I'm sure such a thing may be possible to some extent...but the price could/would be out of reach of most, and I personally like having different controllers dedicated for different systems, and in some cases specific controllers dedicated for specific games.   

• Thanks 1

So here are the TandyVision One variants.  The only differences being the color of the ancillary controls:

Black rocker & pushbutton, Black rotary knobs:

nZbzBx.jpg

Black rocker/pushbutton, Silver rotary knobs:

9cyYC0.jpg

White rocker/pushbutton, Silver rotary knobs:

QFUwUr.jpg

I think the Black / Black variant is my favorite.  

• Like 1

As promised, here's a picture of the Intellivision, Lock 'N Chase - Experience Controller that I built back in late 2021:

YdizgD.jpg

Nothing ground-breaking here.  Just a controller I built myself, using an arcade original 4-way joystick and pushbutton, from a DECO Lock 'N Chase cocktail table.  The ancillary controls in the center are NKK momentary pushbuttons, and they provide the necessary keypad functions for the Intellivision port, including Enter, K1, K2, and K3...and are color-coordinated to the game's overlay colors.   

I'm still working on the artwork for the Night Stalker controller, as well as waiting on the special buttons I ordered for that one.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doubledown said:

As promised, here's a picture of the Intellivision, Lock 'N Chase - Experience Controller that I built back in late 2021:

YdizgD.jpg

Nothing ground-breaking here.  Just a controller I built myself, using an arcade original 4-way joystick and pushbutton, from a DECO Lock 'N Chase cocktail table.  The ancillary controls in the center are NKK momentary pushbuttons, and they provide the necessary keypad functions for the Intellivision port, including Enter, K1, K2, and K3...and are color-coordinated to the game's overlay colors.   

I'm still working on the artwork for the Night Stalker controller, as well as waiting on the special buttons I ordered for that one.  

Very cool. Now I'm wondering about one to go with the upcoming Tron Anthology, although I guess the 4/8 way controls wouldn't be ideal

On 2/25/2023 at 9:54 AM, doubledown said:

So here are the TandyVision One variants.  The only differences being the color of the ancillary controls:

Black rocker & pushbutton, Black rotary knobs:

nZbzBx.jpg

Black rocker/pushbutton, Silver rotary knobs:

9cyYC0.jpg

White rocker/pushbutton, Silver rotary knobs:

QFUwUr.jpg

I think the Black / Black variant is my favorite.  

The black/black or black/silver. Hmmmm.