IGNORED

Need Atari Indus Disk Drive Help!

videofx

I just received an Atari Indus disk drive.

When powered on it goes thought the C diags quick the goes to track 00 for a few seconds just like the manual says. But after track 00 it goes to track 37.

According to the manual it should go to track 39

Any ideas how to fix it?

THanks!

check power supply, correct voltage and current and is DC.

Make sure display is not faulty.

clean the rails and lube, lube spindle bearings, while you are in there clean and lube whatever else might need it.

Blow out all sensors in multiple directions and give them a good look.

iNdus drives use the tandon mech just like everything else. there will be slight noise and excessive wear if it isn't serviced. Chances are that after a good clean and lube with drive head exercise, cleaning of the head, using a known good DSDD disk, (not HD) it will be fine again.

If not you will enter the FSM and start checking for weak an marginal components.

Last item would be the stepper motor. sometime the magnets come apart or loose and can be repaired. A good clean up after that and they are back in business. the other oddball fix is when there is a bad spot on the stepper. turning the stepper 180 degrees sometimes can avoid the bad spot.

stepper band loose, tighten the screw.

These last three will require re alignment of the head when done.

So calibration and alignment should be verified along the way, and the drive should be exercised quite a bit to veryify operation.

if all electronics are good, and all else has failed, rebuild or replace the mech.

Edited by _The Doctor__

4 hours ago, videofx said:

Yes it does. It boots every disk I have tried. It will format single density. Next I will try double density.

Then it looks like a possible problem with the display. Does it properly show tracks like 9 or 8?

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

If track zero sensor was off by 2 tracks, you would not be booting any of the different density disk types on the iNdus

You stated it's booting everything so that rules out the sensor.

Yes, that's exactly why I asked, if it booted any good disk. And it did. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the help.

after doing disk drive maintenance on the drive, everything is working perfectly!

The only issue is there is a segment of the LED's missing (doesn't light).

Anyone know of a part to replace them and how to replace them?

Thanks!

good job resurrecting the drive!

youll need to identify if the display is common anode or common cathode

otherwise, its just match the dimensions and pins

Edited by xrbrevin
syntax error

On 3/8/2023 at 9:24 AM, xrbrevin said:

good job resurrecting the drive!

youll need to identify if the display is common anode or common cathode

otherwise, its just match the dimensions and pins

Thanks!

As soon as I receive my SRAM Charger and install it I will take a look at the LEDs and see what I have.

I would have thought by now that many people would have replaced these by now.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, videofx said:

Thanks!

As soon as I receive my SRAM Charger and install it I will take a look at the LEDs and see what I have.

I would have thought by now that many people would have replaced these by now.

I purchased some of the segments from a supplier in Germany today as I have the same problem. I bought 10 so will have a few extra. let me know if you are interested.

10 hours ago, Larry said:

@macsonny could you please post some details of where you found these, and perhaps a couple of pictures, too?  IIRC, I have one Indus with the same issue. 

Photos and description right here: 

I've found replacement LED segments and waiting on them to arrive from Germany. Will replace and provide description here when done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Thanks, but I meant pictures of the display, inside the drive when you replace the segment. 

This is a front panel with indicators, LED's and buttons from LDW Super 2000 / California Access (CA-2001). Both are clone of Indus GT with design modification. (Hope that in original Indus GT you see something very-very similar when you open it for replacement broken parts)  Now is a process to renew  this panel, it was found inside LDW drive, but it from CA-2001. LED's not placed on their "windows" so I move them to more "right" positions. Indicators here is OK, you can see the PCB tracks "as-is" on photo. pcb design is different in clones, but schematics is the same. I don't have original Indus GT, but hope that clones is a little modifications of it.

20230312_161413.thumb.jpg.50decf4ba18626f1ce947fbfe2a76af8.jpg20230312_161311.thumb.jpg.31870d46c827893ed41cd6132ab9b435.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.7573526c869778edc1d2f135bcf28aaa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ordered 5 LEDs replacements for my Indus :)

I also will upgrade the firmware to 1.2 since my drive has 1.1 so I can run my SRAM Charger

It takes 15 minutes to tear down the drive to get to the LED board and remove it. 

It takes 30 minutes to reassemble.

So I will let you know how it goes once I get the new LEDs

IMG_8263.thumb.jpeg.b0981764a87e8b35a621d16a8388f245.jpeg

IMG_8264.thumb.jpeg.4a095748575bd23ac8313d41f98e7a24.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MVladimir said:

This is a front panel with indicators, LED's and buttons from LDW Super 2000 / California Access (CA-2001). Both are clone of Indus GT with design modification. (Hope that in original Indus GT you see something very-very similar when you open it for replacement broken parts)  Now is a process to renew  this panel, it was found inside LDW drive, but it from CA-2001. LED's not placed on their "windows" so I move them to more "right" positions. Indicators here is OK, you can see the PCB tracks "as-is" on photo. pcb design is different in clones, but schematics is the same. I don't have original Indus GT, but hope that clones is a little modifications of it.

20230312_161413.thumb.jpg.50decf4ba18626f1ce947fbfe2a76af8.jpg20230312_161311.thumb.jpg.31870d46c827893ed41cd6132ab9b435.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.7573526c869778edc1d2f135bcf28aaa.jpeg

Exact same for my drive. I'll take some photos when I go through the repair process to share with everyone. The LED segments are a little smaller so the layout of the pins is interesting.

12 hours ago, videofx said:

Ordered 5 LEDs replacements for my Indus :)

I also will upgrade the firmware to 1.2 since my drive has 1.1 so I can run my SRAM Charger

It takes 15 minutes to tear down the drive to get to the LED board and remove it. 

It takes 30 minutes to reassemble.

So I will let you know how it goes once I get the new LEDs

IMG_8263.thumb.jpeg.b0981764a87e8b35a621d16a8388f245.jpeg

IMG_8264.thumb.jpeg.4a095748575bd23ac8313d41f98e7a24.jpeg

Same here 🙂

Interesting one of my Indie drive ROMs wasn't an EEPROM - it was a hard wired chip. Isn't that a bit strange?

11 hours ago, videofx said:

Wow, that could have been. prototype :) Everyone I have seen has been a TI2732 EPROM

Here's a photo. Chip on left is a -003 but doesn't seem to be a classic EPROM where chip on right is -002 and is clearly an EPROM. Odd right?

IMG_2075.jpeg

Edited by macsonny

11 hours ago, macsonny said:

Here's a photo. Chip on left is a -003 but doesn't seem to be a classic EPROM where chip on right is -002 and is clearly an EPROM. Odd right?

IMG_2075.jpeg

It's likely the CN48414N is a OTP(one time programmable) chip,  which means it can be programmed but not erased.