IGNORED

DKR [WIP]

tep392

Here's a demo to try on your Concerto carts. I've been working on this on and off again for about 6 years.  I'm trying to find the motivation to finish it, but I can't guarantee it will be anytime soon.  I thought I'd go ahead and put the demo out for people to try out.  Should play exactly like the real deal, even more so than DKXM. There is only one screen so far and it just repeats continuously.

It's working on Concerto with the latest 0.96 firmware.  I haven't tested it on earlier versions.  It uses RAM at $4000 and 128k Bank switching.  The sound is done with POKEY or HOKEY but some of the sounds are off on HOKEY.  Synthpopalooza used some two-tone mode sounds that don't seem to be supported on the HOKEY.  Hopefully they will be supported eventually.

PLEASE DON'T POST ABOUT THIS OUTSIDE OF ATARIAGE.  And keep comments to this thread only.  Thanks!

EDIT: If you are using an emulator, use the version Trebor provided in the second post. Thanks Trebor!

Enjoy!

DKRDEMO.A78

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

@tep392: *awesome* job.  This is probably my favourite of the fan-made games, and it's great to see it on the 7800.  It would make for an excellent addition to the library, and - I think - may qualify as the first home port of it.

FWIW, the original kicks my ass to this day, and your version is no different :-D

18 minutes ago, Trebor said:

POKEY@450 is absent from the header in the above attached file, which makes it place nice[r] with Concerto, but sound may be absent under emulation and elsewhere.

The attached contains POKEY@450 in the header.

Using this version, I get no sound and a lockup at the point where gameplay would kick in.  The one originally posted seems to work fine :shrug:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Using this version, I get no sound and a lockup at the point where gameplay would kick in.  The one originally posted seems to work fine :shrug:

That is the expected result under the Concerto.  Indeed, use the original one posted for the Concerto instead.

• Like 3

If i give you all the hugs, will that motivate you to finish it!? 🤗 

Also, can you show a pic of said repeated screen? I don't have a concerto cart. Everyone took them....

Edited by Corby
!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tep392 said:

Here's a demo to try on your Concerto carts. I've been working on this on and off again for about 6 years.  I'm trying to find the motivation to finish it, but I can't guarantee it will be anytime soon.  I thought I'd go ahead and put the demo out for people to try out.  Should play exactly like the real deal, even more so than DKXM. There is only one screen so far and it just repeats continuously.

It's working on Concerto with the latest 0.96 firmware.  I haven't tested it on earlier versions.  It uses RAM at $4000 and 128k Bank switching.  The sound is done with POKEY or HOKEY but some of the sounds are off on HOKEY.  Synthpopalooza used some two-tone mode sounds that don't seem to be supported on the HOKEY.  Hopefully they will be supported eventually.

PLEASE DON'T POST ABOUT THIS OUTSIDE OF ATARIAGE.  And keep comments to this thread only.  Thanks!

Enjoy!

DKRDEMO.A78 128.13 kB · 17 downloads

Damn, could this be a contender for best Donkey Kong port!?!?

• Like 1

The fact that we have this rom and you can’t download one for the arcade version, and you have to buy a full size DK arcade cab/original board and then a special kit to install the remix version is a testament to your generosity. 

Thank you Perry!

I have the spooky remix and Christmas remix ones on my emulation cabinet, but the original DK Remix rom was never released, and has thus far proven illusive. 

On 2/17/2023 at 5:13 AM, tep392 said:

I'm trying to find the motivation to finish it

Hi Perry, 

I will send you the other sprites within a few weeks and thank you very much for your kind waiting. Believe it or not, you have always been on my mind.

You're doing an *incredible* job and it deserves a long and detailed description to make everyone understand how extremely close and accurate this port is.

I confess that out of nostalgia this is the 7800 project that I hold dearest. Don't give up, you know that we've been dreaming about this for 10 years and, after so much study and work, no one really can do it better than you! :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Question, is this only meant for use on Concerto?  I tried it on BUP to test it out and there is no sound with either binary.

I don't think there is any sound for it? I don't get any sound from it on my DF cart either so I suspect it just didn't have any audio?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 8:13 PM, tep392 said:

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for the heads up on posting externally about the game. Just to be double sure, should I refrain from showing/playing/talking about it on the next Atari 7800 stream of ZeroPage Homebrew?

- James

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I stand corrected. Pokey audio is present if you use the file that @Trebor posted. Or at least I'm getting audio from the game through my DragonFly now.

Indeed.  The difference between the file that tep392 posted and the one posted after it is flagging POKEY@450 in the header, which tells most other devices/emulators to provide accordingly.  Concerto often has issues when POKEY@450 is present in the header.  Games such as Arkanoid, Millie & Molly, Popeye, and others, also need a 'Concerto fix' which includes excluding POKEY@450 flag in the header.

6 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Question, is this only meant for use on Concerto?  I tried it on BUP to test it out and there is no sound with either binary.

Unfortunately, no sound with the BupSystem emulator. 

File posted with POKEY@450 in the header, works fine under A7800 emulator though.  As @-^CrossBow^- mentioned, works fine with DragonFly too.  MiSTer FPGA also plays it perfectly.

• Like 4