IGNORED

Spectre AV

deffroe

7 hours ago, mytek said:

It really starts getting outside of the DIY category if it's also using SMD discrete components. Of course you could use the largest SMD resistors made, but they actually take a bit more space than the 1/8 watt THT ones. And as you start getting smaller, things really get fiddly for most builders to deal with, and you certainly don't want to sneeze :lolblue:   Also headers and dip switches really dominant the space outside of the 40 pin GTIA socket, so the footprint would still need to be about what it presently is no matter what.

Makes sense, and I was actually thinking that it would need to have different headers and maybe drop the DIP switches.  I think that medium sized (0805) SMD passives are no more difficult to work with than the SOIC ICs.  You know me, I like tiny PCBs!  😆

1 hour ago, Panther said:

I think that medium sized (0805) SMD passives are no more difficult to work with than the SOIC ICs.  You know me, I like tiny PCBs!  😆

I think you possibly missed the point I made earlier, that there really isn't any great size advantage to using the larger 0805 SMD package compared to the THT discrete components that were used for the UGV board. In fact other than the pads taking up a bit of extra space top and bottom, the THT package actually has a smaller body size. Overall you could get some size reduction, but in the end it probably wouldn't make that much difference size-wise and cost-wise for the overall board. And would that slightly smaller footprint help it fit into the system any better?

compare.png.e5c992c2536c1b0bd41bec34243b2c47.png

• Like 1

Oh BTW, if you aren't having any issues with white vertical lines appearing on either the left or right side, there's no reason to change R16 to 4.7K on an existing build. However for all future builds it should be used.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mytek said:

I think you possibly missed the point I made earlier, that there really isn't any great size advantage to using the larger 0805 SMD package compared to the THT discrete components that were used for the UGV board. In fact other than the pads taking up a bit of extra space top and bottom, the THT package actually has a smaller body size. Overall you could get some size reduction, but in the end it probably wouldn't make that much difference size-wise and cost-wise for the overall board. And would that slightly smaller footprint help it fit into the system any better?

No, I got your point, but I thought you were talking about 1206 package.  Either way, I was really only kidding about a completely SMD version.  I will build the standard version (with a 4.7K resistor at R16) and then maybe find something to put it in...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Panther said:

No, I got your point, but I thought you were talking about 1206 package.  Either way, I was really only kidding about a completely SMD version.  I will build the standard version (with a 4.7K resistor at R16) and then maybe find something to put it in...

Well I do understand that some people find the SMD components to be easier to work with, since there are no leads to bend or trim off. But us older guys who need the double pair of glasses kinda like the THT stuff better for DIY. And I could certainly see going the SMD route if a stencil was made, and a re-flow oven were to be used.

Edit: And after all I did use SOIC parts for all the ICs (there was no way that THT chips would have worked without this board becoming gargantuan).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@candle I have 1200XL with Spectre AV. It is great on my 800XL. Luma is very bright and has this wow factor. When installed in 1200XL with proper jumper settings screen is a a little dark/dimm/dull compared to 800XL. Is there a way to adjust Luma intensity through different jumper settings or jumpers are meant for other things? If not > is there a way to solder / desolder any part/resistor to adjust luma brightness? thanks for any help!