IGNORED

Were there any other "Happy Drives?"

Larry

The Indus thread got me thinking about this, but I didn't want to hijack that thread.  Were there any drives or speeders from Europe or elsewhere that had copying software similar to the Happy or Archiver?  I know there was another 1050 drive modification from the U.S., but it's name escapes me at the moment.  Was there anything similar for the Tom's drives or drives developed elsewhere?

We had a company that made SuperMon OS for the 400/800 (possibly XL as well)

They also did a drive mod that gave turbo speed, proper double-density and I think it could do some happy type functions as well.

Not sure what they called it, maybe Super 810 / Super 1050 ?  The Dos you used was SuperDos which I suspect might have been a modification of an existing one.

There were a number of European mods. I think the Mega Speedy contains most of them. I don't think it's available any more but @tf_hh sells recreations of one or two mods, one of them very cleverly designed to work without additional RAM. 

IIRC correctly at least one of these booted a copy program from its firmware when you turned on the computer with the drive locking lever open, so no need to boot Happy software to get some copying done.

2 hours ago, bandit said:

There was the 1050 duplicator not good, but happy made an upgrade for it. 

That depends on your point of view.  From a "I want to pirate stuff", yeah the Happy was better.  From a speed POV, I still think the Duplicator is one of the fastest drives out there -- full track buffering (that works).  I thought someone did some speed comparison tests of a lot of the upgrades at one time here on AA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bandit said:

There was the 1050 duplicator not good, but happy made an upgrade for it. 

Yes, the Duplicator -- that's the one I couldn't remember.  IIRC, the creator put all his info/files up here on AA.  And it was included in the MegaSpeedy?

2 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

We had the Lazer mod in the UK

I've heard of the Lazer before, but I'm not familiar with its functions.  Were there copy programs for it, or perhaps it could run the Happy Backup program?  I remember seeing pictures a Lazer mod.  No board, and one inverted chip.  Are there docs somewhere that you know of?

i picked up a 1050 that intrigued me because it had 2x front panel switches added. it turned out to be a Lazer mod that you can switch off and it becomes a normal USD mod

it seems to be a happy clone but with a more homebrew approach to the hardware. see pics below and check out the ATR files to see the functions it can do 🙂

1050 lazer1.jpg

1050 lazer2.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

laser atrs.zip

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

We had a company that made SuperMon OS for the 400/800 (possibly XL as well)

They also did a drive mod that gave turbo speed, proper double-density and I think it could do some happy type functions as well.

Not sure what they called it, maybe Super 810 / Super 1050 ?  The Dos you used was SuperDos which I suspect might have been a modification of an existing one.

That 1050 upgrade was called SuperMax. It was a clone of USD but it had its own format command that made it incompatible with all high speed doses when it came to formatting disks except for SuperDos. 1st thing i did when i got the rights to all 8-bit super products was to add USD special format command to SuperMax.

• Like 1

Upgrades similar to Happy ?

- Speedy 1050 in various forms (e.g. Speedy N, Speedy T, Speedy D+S, mini-Speedy, Speedy-XF, Speedy in HDI, Speedy in Floppy 2000, Super Speedy, Mega-Speedy, Mini Super Speedy)

- Turbo 1050 (and dozens of polish clones like TOMS Multidrive, Top-Drive, later even Turbo-XF, etc.; no track/cache buffer, uses sector interleave)

- Highspeed-Board by Irata (Happy-Clone with track buffer)

- Copyboard/Copycard by ??? (afaik, Happy clone with track buffer)

- Hyper-XF (XF with Hyper-XF-OS by S.Dorndorf, no track buffer, uses sector interleave)

- Supermax from Australia

- Archiver and Super Archiver

- 1050E Floppy drive Turbo (sold currently by Lotharek, ultraspeed  with Pokey divisor 6 ?)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...