IGNORED

Anyone still playing online with an Xbox 360

Gamemoose

You need to use a Stealth Service particularly with a modded system.  Then pretty much everything still works.  This one for example.  Idk they seem to oscillate between being free or paid to use. 

https://xbonline.live/home/

The Original XBOX now has a really great new/free service called Insignia which replicates the original Xbox Live.  Don't need a modded system.  Both have several dozen people on there normally although what games are popular tend to be kind of scant.

https://insignia.live/

1 hour ago, Blazing Lazers said:

Yes, I still use my 360 online regularly. I've been using it more often lately, as I'm trying to finish off a lot of Achievements that I never got around to back in the day. 

I can say that pretty much all of the Call of Duty games on the 360 still have good player bases on the weekends in Team Deathmatch. 

Call of Duty Modern Warfare (I can't remember which-I think it was the one with the nuclear bomb going off in single player)....I was a freakin' bullet magnet in that game.  I accepted my fate and would lend myself as being a meat shield for my squad.

That's tempting, though.  One of my step sons would probably love to go tromping through those games.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hooked up an old 360 and took it online a few weeks ago. Didn't really play any games online though.

It was one I had made my "primary" system so I could play games offline. Many of the games were playable offline, but no pictures show up when browsing the games.

There were some games not playable. I wound up putting it online and many apps no longer are supported. Amazon Video for example. I think YouTube was still working. Browsing the store, there were only about 16 apps left from what I recall. Stuff like some of the free streaming sites, maybe The History Channel.  I want to hook up more than one 360 and see if the system link stuff still works. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/1/2023 at 2:50 PM, Gamemoose said:

Call of Duty Modern Warfare (I can't remember which-I think it was the one with the nuclear bomb going off in single player)....I was a freakin' bullet magnet in that game.  I accepted my fate and would lend myself as being a meat shield for my squad.

That's tempting, though.  One of my step sons would probably love to go tromping through those games.

Microsoft recently made some fixes to the 360 Call of Duty game servers and now they all have healthy player counts. What little gaming time I've had lately has been used to enjoy these classics online once again. 

On 6/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, PeterG said:

Would there be any reason why I can't log in to my account with an Xbox 360? It worked for the Xbox one s, one X, series s and series X but for some reason it refuses to let me go online with my 360.

So for some reason Microsoft changed the process to log into Live on your 360. You need to go to Microsoft's website, log in, then check the devices you have registered. You'll need to verify the 360 you're trying to log into is on your account, and then to log into Live on it, you need to get the app password for that console. It's not simply your regular Xbox Live credentials, but a specialized password just for logging in via your 360 (see the screenshot below, you can select "Reset pass code" to get a new app password). Once you are able to get in with that app password and the console is registered on your Microsoft account, you should be good to go.

Now that I started thinking about it, I'm not sure how you get an app password for a console you may not have accessed before. That is, considering you need the app password just to get into Live on a 360 to begin with. Hm. 🤔

image.thumb.png.96d8c44a30459ececd8bedfe7e04b549.png

On 7/5/2023 at 7:36 PM, moycon said:

I hooked up an old 360 and took it online a few weeks ago. Didn't really play any games online though.

It was one I had made my "primary" system so I could play games offline. Many of the games were playable offline, but no pictures show up when browsing the games.

There were some games not playable. I wound up putting it online and many apps no longer are supported. Amazon Video for example. I think YouTube was still working. Browsing the store, there were only about 16 apps left from what I recall. Stuff like some of the free streaming sites, maybe The History Channel.  I want to hook up more than one 360 and see if the system link stuff still works. 

I don't remember the reason as to why pictures don't show up, but I am pretty sure @Atariboy knows the reason as we have talked about it on and off over the years. My assumption is those games may have been delisted, but there might be another reason.

Regarding system link, that will work 100% as it's an offline feature. I believe you can even system link multiple eras of Xboxes (OG Xbox, 360 and One/Series) as long as the titles are backwards compatible. It's just simple local networking that's making that happen.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:48 PM, schnuth said:

I miss UNO on the Xbox 360.  I think I sunk more time playing that online than any other game.  The new online UNO from Ubisoft sucks in comparison IMO.

Card games in video game form have never been my cup of tea, but 360 UNO was one of the few exceptions. I loved playing that one on Xbox Live with friends! Good times. :)

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Austin said:

So for some reason Microsoft changed the process to log into Live on your 360. You need to go to Microsoft's website, log in, then check the devices you have registered. You'll need to verify the 360 you're trying to log into is on your account, and then to log into Live on it, you need to get the app password for that console. It's not simply your regular Xbox Live credentials, but a specialized password just for logging in via your 360 (see the screenshot below, you can select "Reset pass code" to get a new app password). Once you are able to get in with that app password and the console is registered on your Microsoft account, you should be good to go.

Now that I started thinking about it, I'm not sure how you get an app password for a console you may not have accessed before. That is, considering you need the app password just to get into Live on a 360 to begin with. Hm. 🤔

image.thumb.png.96d8c44a30459ececd8bedfe7e04b549.png

I don't remember the reason as to why pictures don't show up, but I am pretty sure @Atariboy knows the reason as we have talked about it on and off over the years. My assumption is those games may have been delisted, but there might be another reason.

Regarding system link, that will work 100% as it's an offline feature. I believe you can even system link multiple eras of Xboxes (OG Xbox, 360 and One/Series) as long as the titles are backwards compatible. It's just simple local networking that's making that happen.

Card games in video game form have never been my cup of tea, but 360 UNO was one of the few exceptions. I loved playing that one on Xbox Live with friends! Good times. :)

Thanks man, appreciated your answer. Turns out the new password I use is too long for entering in the 360, so I had to go the other way to get the app password. Pretty convoluted way for just activating an old console but it worked out in the end and it went live again :)

• Like 1