IGNORED

Ultrafast boot

42bs

1st it skips the logo screen by setting the diagnosis flag, then it copies the code added behind into RAM, sets the $3d0dead flag to notify that everything is ok and stops the GPU. The BIOS then jumps to the copied 68k code.

The.BIOS decrypts the header in chunks of 64 bytes. So the loader is trimmed to use only a single chunk.

A different version is in jagniccc2000_reloaded, there I directly stop the 68k from GPU and copy the main GPU code to RAM and continue there.

A third version (posted on discord) is even simpler and directs the code to $80040c.

• Like 4

On 3/1/2023 at 1:11 PM, 42bs said:

1st it skips the logo screen by setting the diagnosis flag, then it copies the code added behind into RAM, sets the $3d0dead flag to notify that everything is ok and stops the GPU. The BIOS then jumps to the copied 68k code.

The.BIOS decrypts the header in chunks of 64 bytes. So the loader is trimmed to use only a single chunk.

A different version is in jagniccc2000_reloaded, there I directly stop the 68k from GPU and copy the main GPU code to RAM and continue there.

A third version (posted on discord) is even simpler and directs the code to $80040c.

If you're only using a single chunk, then I don't think it will work with the JagCD plugged in - did you try that?

You can check my notes here, but I'm curious if you got around that :)

https://github.com/tursilion/makefastboot

http://tursilion.blogspot.com/2016/09/atari-jaguar-programming-causes-brain.html

• Like 2

Hi,

no it won't. As you write, the CD ROM decrypts two chunks and enters at a different address. But then, careing about three or was it four JagCD owners?

(I am one, but it is buried under a pile of Atari ST,TT and STe, some Apple II, Quadra etc).

But I may take the challenge 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Uhg. Hope this doesn't get used in distributed ROMs then. I'm 1/4, 2/4, and 3/4 of those JagCD uses, and it's a pain to detach them.

Oh. I detached mine some 20yrs ago. I think CJ likes to add it to JS. So I need to investigate.

Unfortunately BPE does not allow to have "CD ROM" unit attached and boot a card.

So it means, I really need to find my CD unit in the pile ... :(