IGNORED

[CLOSED] Lynx High Score Club 2023: Round 2 - Pinball Jam and Atari Homebrew Award Winners 8bit-Slicks and Odynexus!

jgkspsx

Atari Lynx High Score Club

HSC rules

This round we play Pinball Jam and the two winners of the 2023 Atari Homebrew Awards 8bit-slicks and Odynexus.

Round Over: Sunday April 2 (full points), Sunday October 1st (rank points only) 2023 12:01am US Pacific

We are jammin' some pinballs and celebrating the Lynx winners of the Atari Homebrew Awards!

Pinball Jam

Manual / instructions / discussion: http://www.atariage.com/manual_thumbs.php?SystemID=LYNX&SoftwareID=2385&itemTypeID=MANUAL

Settings - Table: Elvira and the Party Monsters / difficulty: player's choice, easy or hard are both okay.

HSC Record: @doctor_shred (38,383,000)

Bonus Challenge: Get multiball for 2 points! Pause and take a picture with two or more pinballs on the screen of your Lynx. Ends April 2.

Description: Don't let Elvira down!

Scores:

1. @jeremiahjt - 7737000*

2. @Rick Dangerous - 6412000*

3. @jgkspsx - 2697000*

4. @MichaG - 1812000

5. @Ninjabba - 644000

6. Your name here!

7. Your name here!

8. Your name here!

9. Your name here!

10. Your name here!

* achieved bonus points

2023 Atari Homebrew Awards GOTY: 8bit-slicks

Manual / instructions / discussion: 8bit-Slicks website

Download link: Link to download 8bit-Slicks Shareware

Settings: Freeway course. Get a screenshot of your best time! It disappears fast, so be quick! At least the race is short!

HSC Record: First year!

Bonus Challenge: Join an online 8bit-slicks tournament this month for two bonus ranking points. If you don't have an 8bit Hub, Songbird carries them, or you can use Handy which supports the protocol. Find an event on the calendar: https://8bit-slicks.com/?page_id=532 Open all season!

Description: Online racing comes to the Lynx! Get some practice in here before joining the big online race every first Saturday!

Scores:

1. @Songbird - 8.05"*

2. @jgkspsx - 8.31"*

3. @Rick Dangerous - 8.61"

4. @MichaG - 8.66"

5. Your name here!

6. Your name here!

7. Your name here!

8. Your name here!

9. Your name here!

10. Your name here!

* achieved bonus points

2023 Atari Homebrew Awards WIP GOTY: Odynexus [demo]

Manual / instructions / discussion: https://krakendev.itch.io/odynexus?download

Download link: https://krakendev.itch.io/odynexus?download

Settings: Defaults!

HSC Record: First year!

Bonus Challenge: Beat my initial score, 349 scored on a crappy laptop keyboard, for a bonus point! Ends April 2.

Description: The Lynx gets a mythological shmup of its very own!

Scores:

1. @jgkspsx - 509*

2. @Ninjabba - 416*

3. @MichaG - 282

4. @Rick Dangerous - 239

5. Your name here!

6. Your name here!

7. Your name here!

8. Your name here!

9. Your name here!

10. Your name here!

* achieved bonus points

End of the month season point standings:

MichaG 497 188 284
jgkspsx 492 196 296
Rick Dangerous 474 188 286
Ninjabba 403 178 200
agradeneu 223 100 98
jeremiahjt 198 198 0
KidGameR186496 127 102 0
Songbird 102 0 102
JagChris 90 90 0
jblenkle 0 0 0

Any corrections please post. Please put your score in text in your post please to make my life a little easier.

I'm running behind on making a spreadsheet for score tracking but I wanted to get this out there now.

Here are my initial runs at the homebrew using the atarigamer emulator:

Odynexus - 349 (but these laptop keys are vile)

1248939237_ScreenShot2023-03-01at12_07_53AM.thumb.png.8facab0a8a874bbfe3d58e52a5cdbc50.png

8bit-slicks: Freeway - 9.40"

16417800_ScreenShot2023-02-28at11_52_17PM.thumb.png.19b8c34009c66297cf79c1b582122c52.png

7 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

For high score record purposes, should we all play the same difficulty setting? Or have two separate high score tables for easy and hard maybe?

Historically the rule was “any settings are fine”. I am guessing because the difficulty setting just controls the speed of the ball, so you can score more quickly if you can handle the speed. I don’t see a reason to change it if that is the case but I’m open to suggestions.

“My heaaaaart’s… on fire…”

… oh, uh, hey. I didn’t see you there. Anyway. Uh.

It doesn’t say so in the manual, but here is the difference between Easy and Hard difficulty. Easy gives you five balls and keeps the bonus status when you lose a ball; hard gives you three balls and clears bonus between balls.

Easy will make for higher scores and easier learning the tables, but it could lead to some pretty long games. Hard will be quicker and more challenging. Which do we want to go for this time?

For what it’s worth, I don’t think Easy is too unchallenging. Still plenty of ways to lose your balls and I don’t think games will go on too too long.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 5:35 PM, LordKraken said:

Ah great that you're playing Odynexus for that round. Note that the demo is quite old (> 2 years) so not quite representative of the final game ;)

So you nowhave the chance to release a special HSC-version ;-) 

• Haha 1

On easy, I got 7,737,000.  I also got the multi ball multiple times, so I will take the bonus point there.  I was really trying to get all the letters in Elvira lit up, and I finally did it on my last and best run.  After getting all the letters, the message read hit the Skull Passage, and I nailed for a cool 3,000,000 points.  It also released my held ball.  Unfortunately both balls went down the drain rather quickly, but it was by far my best score.

After I lit up all of the "Wake The Dead Head" targets, it said do it two more times for something.  Does anybody know what happens after lighting it up three times?

After hitting "PI-" and "ZZA" once, you start getting points for the Pizza Passage, but I cannot tell if anything happens for lighting up those two multiple times.

Also, does anybody know how those targets right to the right of the Monster Slide work?  I think there are only two targets, but I am confused about that little area.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Songbird said:

That's odd; I have not seen that behavior before. The demo version of Slicks should still show lap times. Just tried it on Handy 0.98 (which includes EEPROM support) and it worked properly.

I've had an old version (2021/01/26) on my card. The new one shows the time ;-)

20230313_182841.thumb.jpg.64604cc09a6bb18b46f3bb958fd115b7.jpg

Edited by MichaG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1