IGNORED

Favor to ask for PAL Intellivision owners (power cord connector)

Can anyone with a PAL Intellivision take some pics of the power cord connector and how it's mounted to the bottom shell? I'm thinking of wiring up a power connector for my INTV, and I was curious as to how the PAL consoles did it since they have an IEC C8 connector as opposed to a hardwired cable.

Here's a French secam model photo showing the power connector.  Looks like the bottom shel has extra plastic in the mould.

7780c9a8-b0e3-4711-b409-970323a711a7.jpg

https://www.gamopat-forum.com/t89204-les-differentes-versions-d-intellivision

And a European pal model.

IMG_5229.jpg?2b7c37

https://www.nightfallcrew.com/02/03/2013/mattel-intellivision-pal-rgb-video-mod/

Edited by mr_me

On 3/7/2023 at 11:20 AM, ApolloBoy said:

Interesting. I think I might actually take the no-cut route by using a cut up C8 extension cable like this, and then wiring it to the transformer in place of the power cord.

A no cut option is already there. All the model 1 units have the space and screw holes needed for this. Just need someone to design the needed 3D printed part that could fit into the space and have the pins installed for the C8 cord to be used like the do in the PAL territories. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

A no cut option is already there. All the model 1 units have the space and screw holes needed for this. Just need someone to design the needed 3D printed part that could fit into the space and have the pins installed for the C8 cord to be used like the do in the PAL territories. 

Hm, the spare bottom case I was looking at doesn't have the screw holes. I don't think my working INTV has them either, but I can double check. No idea about the Super Video Arcade I've got coming in.

Just now, ApolloBoy said:

Hm, the spare bottom case I was looking at doesn't have the screw holes. I don't think my working INTV has them either, but I can double check. No idea about the Super Video Arcade I've got coming in.

The one I just finished up was a standard 2609 and the bottom shell had the space and holes in it. They might not be threaded for screws but that can be done. But yeah...pretty sure all of them I've seen have the setup in place but it was don't here in the US.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:17 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

The one I just finished up was a standard 2609 and the bottom shell had the space and holes in it. They might not be threaded for screws but that can be done. But yeah...pretty sure all of them I've seen have the setup in place but it was don't here in the US.

Just checked both my 2609 and Super Video Arcade, neither of them have the holes or standoffs for them. I wonder if maybe that was something added later on as both my consoles are from 1981.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing this on my Super Video Arcade while I was doing an RGB mod earlier today. This was a bit more involved than I would've liked, as the power cord was encased inside the transformer housing which was epoxied shut. What I wound up doing was cutting off the original cord and splicing a C8 extension cable onto it. All the connections were double heat-shrinked and the base of the cord is wrapped around a screw boss for extra security. 

IMG_5391.jpg

I wanted to let you know that the latest model 1 I worked on had the space but no boss posts or anything. But in thinking about it, a 3d printed block could be made to house that connector and just slide into that space. Make it tall enough that the power board above it would prevent it from coming out and that would work pretty well wouldn't it? I don't have a 3D printer or the software knowledge to design, but the space is large enough I believe for something similar to be created for model 1 units that don't have the figure out 2 prong connector to be added.