IGNORED

Indus GT Display Issue

macsonny

Today I completed a childhood dream - to own an Indust GT drive for the Atari. Well, two arrived after 3.5 months of waiting and they are both working. A bit of cleaning, greasing, changing Rom and adding a SDRAM Charger, I have two amazing drives. They are a dream to look at.

However, one of them is giving me an issue with the display. If you see the attached photo, the units segment (second segment) has the middle bar not working. So the photo should be a number 9. You can see the bottom of the 9 is not lit up.

I have reseated the connector cable and squirted a bit of Deoxit around the connector and LED segment display with no luck.

Any ideas on what might be the next logical step?

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2037.jpeg

they look particularly good examples. many suffer from a slight distortion in the smoked cover and they end up not fitting quite right in one corner but yours seem in good order! get yourself the later ROM and an sram-charger apiece and your minted!

you could personalise the track display with an alternative colour - blue or green perhaps? how about amber or white? 🤔

Edited by xrbrevin

6 hours ago, macsonny said:

However, one of them is giving me an issue with the display. If you see the attached photo, the units segment (second segment) has the middle bar not working. So the photo should be a number 9. You can see the bottom of the 9 is not lit up.

I have reseated the connector cable and squirted a bit of Deoxit around the connector and LED segment display with no luck.

Any ideas on what might be the next logical step?

Welcome to the Indus club!

My Indus drive has the exact same problem.

I hope we can find a fix!

Question -- did you have to change the rom to use the 64K Sram-charger?  I've got a couple of @tf_hh units that I'd like to install.  One drive is stock, and one has the Ultra Speed rom by @MrMartian  

BTW, does anyone know if the original unit used Sram?  I presume they did, but Sram was quite expensive then. 

the original device is LARGE - but looks like DRAM to me:

ramcharger.jpg

Source: here

Jurgen's is a marvel of miniturisation by comparison!

not sure about there being a particular ROM requirement but MrMartian did a great job on this and other drives so im pretty sure he would have included it in his upgraded ROM functionality

• Like 1

Possibly it uses DRAM since it was made with intention of being able to run CP/M which would need more Ram anyway?

Looks like Happy uses SRAM.

Generally there was a tipping point where it cost less to do SRAM than DRAM - which would have moved over time.

The Vic-20 is the only computer I can think of that uses SRAM.  I think the expansion modules also used it.

To implement DRAM you need the row/column + refresh logic which adds cost but the tipping point is where it's payed back and savings had thanks to the higher cost of SRAM.

Since the Indus GT has a clone - LDW Super 2000, I have experience with changing damaged indicators. I hope that the panels and indicators on them are the same in both devices.
I changed indicators on LDW Super 2000, they had similar damage - some segments did not work. Miniature indicators manufactured by Siemens are installed on the panel, their marking is HD1075R. The datasheet is easy to find online.
The indicators were bought on eBay a couple of years ago. At the time of writing this message, they were available for purchase from at least two sellers

(the first of them, for example, is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363792853538 ).
Replacement is not particularly difficult if you have the skills to carefully desolder / solder small-sized radio elements on printed circuit boards.

You can use for replacement other color displays - green for example (marking HD1075G) they are from same "family" with common anode but more bright ( about 5 times)
Good luck!

Edited by MVladimir

The rom by MrMartian breaks add ons for the Indus.

Anything that uses Ramcharger.  Indus CP/M, Super syncromesh with track buffering.

There is also a indus boot disk that adds USD style speed and format commands like what the rom MrMartian has done.

The Indus diagnostic disk.

Indus rom 1.2 is the latest. There is one named 1.4 getting around but it is actually V 1.1.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MVladimir said:

Since the Indus GT has a clone - LDW Super 2000, I have experience with changing damaged indicators. I hope that the panels and indicators on them are the same in both devices.
I changed indicators on LDW Super 2000, they had similar damage - some segments did not work. Miniature indicators manufactured by Siemens are installed on the panel, their marking is HD1075R. The datasheet is easy to find online.
The indicators were bought on eBay a couple of years ago. At the time of writing this message, they were available for purchase from at least two sellers

(the first of them, for example, is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/363792853538 ).
Replacement is not particularly difficult if you have the skills to carefully desolder / solder small-sized radio elements on printed circuit boards.

You can use for replacement other color displays - green for example (marking HD1075G) they are from same "family" with common anode but more bright ( about 5 times)
Good luck!

Took the unit apart again and checked cable and Deoxit along connector etc to see if it was just a bit of age getting in. Didn't fix the problem so have purchased some replacement segments from eBay. 

Thanks for the tip - appreciate it.

10 hours ago, videofx said:

The SRAM Charger requires ROM version 1.2 as that's when Indus added the code to boot the CP/M disk 

There are a few ROMs floating around and the numbering/mods are a bit confusing. Do you have the ROM 1.2 that works with the SRAM Charger that you can send me or provide a link?

9 minutes ago, macsonny said:

There are a few ROMs floating around and the numbering/mods are a bit confusing. Do you have the ROM 1.2 that works with the SRAM Charger that you can send me or provide a link?

Ultimately, it's not all that confusing (aside from the "fake news" 1.4 rom floating around).

There's just the 1.1 and 1.2 Indus roms; and then there are two different modified roms: @MrMartian 1.2 ultraspeed, and Richard Andrews 1.2X upgrade rom.

You can find the standard Indus 1.2 rom here: Hardware Computerist - Indus GT

32 minutes ago, MrFish said:

...Richard Andrews 1.2X upgrade rom.

Supposedly Richard Andrews also released a 1.3X rom -- that was supposed to just suppress button-press and controller-error beep sounds (in addition to having 1.2X rom features included) -- but I've never seen this one.

14 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

The rom by MrMartian breaks add ons for the Indus.

Anything that uses Ramcharger.  Indus CP/M, Super syncromesh with track buffering.

There is also a indus boot disk that adds USD style speed and format commands like what the rom MrMartian has done.

The Indus diagnostic disk.

Indus rom 1.2 is the latest. There is one named 1.4 getting around but it is actually V 1.1.

Good to know -- thanks.

That's unfortunate, since one has to choose between the track buffer and USP.   Maybe in my case, I'll keep one with USP and put the SRAM-charger in the other.  I've always pooh-poohed CP/M, but perhaps I'll give it a look-see.  

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to say that another Indus GT display gets to fight another day. Replaced both LED segments today and now have a 100% functional Indus GT drive with beautiful display. Fairly easy 30 minute job and using a desolder station makes life very easy I must say.

Edited by macsonny
  • Like 1