IGNORED

'Gaming Racism' (An essay inspired by Tommy Tallarico)

Hello gaming community,

in a Digital Foundry video, they commented on Tommy Tallarico's appeal to stop gaming racism.

This to me was a new concept. As far as I understand it, it adresses the phenomenon of oppression and persecution towards peoples that are into one console or another.

This may have had its peak in the 'console wars' of the 16 bit era. The genesis supremecists claimed dominance with the power of blast processing. Little did they know, genesis games did not actually utilize blast processing. Maybe because of this foolishness there werent alot of saturn supremecists around when the next generation arrived, crippled by the frankenstein monstrosity of the 32x and segaCD that turned against its creator.

Now we look back at the remains of sega's reign that is the dreamcast. Maybe gaming racisim wasn't such a good idea after all. All that is left are hideous looking consoles from microsoft (apart from the 360), as well as the PS5 that is basically the same hardware as its microsoft counterpart. Lets be honest these consoles are essentially the same machine.

Nintendo, the last bastion of gaming civilisation, not destroyed by the dark cloud that swallowed Sega. At least for now... Making a hollywood type movie and opening theme parks, is it a good idea? Will this be the begining of a dark path and eventually a bitter end? Will  we see the rise of disneyland supremecists, that will terrorise the masses with an even  larger monstrosity? Only time will tell, we can only hope for brighter days.

Gaming racism, darkness, terror... Is there any hope? Only, in the ancient legends it is stated, that one day a friend shall be chosen to leave the gaming racism behind, in pilgrimage, to release the Intellivison Amico...

Tallarico.

Edited by Creamhoven
  • Confused 4

I think console rivalry between fans has mostly been harmless. It is like "who do you like better the Hulk or Superman? or Star Trek or Star Wars?". We like both. I liked the SNES more than the Mega Drive, but played both about the same amount. I liked the NES more than the Master System, but played the Master System a lot too.

There are people here who think the Atari 5200 is the best console. I don´t see it, but it doesn´t matter. If they enjoy it, good for them.

I think the era of consoles is coming to an end. It will become subscription services, which you play on a multi-media device like a Chromecast, Apple-TV or some generic device. Shortly after, there won´t even be a device. Game subscriptions will be available on your Smart-TV, and you just need to buy gamepads to play (unless they come with the TV). Sad, but cheaper.

I think it is a good idea of Nintendo to make movies and theme parks based on their IP. Theme parks are fun, and the new Super Mario movie looks good (for an animated movie).

Wait...   console wars are being called 'gaming racism' now?

console wars have always been there since the beginning,  and it can be seen in non-consoles.   Wherever there are two competing things, there will develop two competing factions that argue it out:

PC vs Mac

VHS vs Betamax

Ford Vs Chevy

Tastes Great vs Less Filling

It's part of human tribal instinct,  anyone who thinks it can be stopped is foolish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I think console rivalry between fans has mostly been harmless. It is like "who do you like better the Hulk or Superman?

They are both hideous.

or Star Trek or Star Wars?".

Star Trek Next Generation all the way.

I liked the SNES more than the Mega Drive, but played both about the same amount. I liked the NES more than the Master System, but played the Master System a lot too.

Okay, but dont you feel a little bit guilty that segas hardware life has been completely exterminated? If we would chosen wisely we would have sega hardware today, but its gone. If there was more positive energy behind the amico maybe we would have earthworm jim.

There are people here who think the Atari 5200 is the best console. I don´t see it, but it doesn´t matter. If they enjoy it, good for them.

Okay, but wouldnt they like new 5200 type consoles from atari?

I think the era of consoles is coming to an end.

It will become subscription services, which you play on a multi-media device like a Chromecast, Apple-TV or some generic device. Shortly after, there won´t even be a device. Game subscriptions will be available on your Smart-TV, and you just need to buy gamepads to play (unless they come with the TV). Sad, but cheaper.

If the western world would do that it would be easy for evil Putin to make a dreamcast 2 and laugh at us.

I think it is a good idea of Nintendo to make movies and theme parks based on their IP. Theme parks are fun, and the new Super Mario movie looks good (for an animated movie).

Lets hope they stay true to their roots.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Wait...   console wars are being called 'gaming racism' now?

I think it is important to differentiate. Console war is an open forceful conflict, like trying to shame fans of the amico. Gaming racism is hatred some may feel when someone want Tommy to succeed.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

console wars have always been there since the beginning,  and it can be seen in non-consoles.   Wherever there are two competing things, there will develop two competing factions that argue it out:

PC vs Mac

Computing racism

1 hour ago, zzip said:

VHS vs Betamax

Video racism

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Ford Vs Chevy

Automobile racism

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Tastes Great vs Less Filling

Quality racism

1 hour ago, zzip said:

It's part of human tribal instinct,  anyone who thinks it can be stopped is foolish.

I umfortunatly have to agree, but we can be smarter in the future. If we would have been more considerate maybe we would have segas hardwarelife forcing others to make beautiful consoles by competition. Same goes for the amico

1 hour ago, Gemintronic said:

Meh.  A gross misuse of a word for clout and clickbait (not by you Creamhoven!).  Tribalism is a more accurate description.

Okay, this might be technically true, but in gaming discourse supremecy and race is the established dialetic. Look at the PC masterrace. That was long before Tallarico asked to stop the hate.

@th?id=OIP.zIFYx5JgAZMO4i1u_h36owHaDw%26p

Edited by Creamhoven

17 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Okay, but dont you feel a little bit guilty that segas hardware life has been completely exterminated? If we would chosen wisely we would have sega hardware today, but its gone.

I don´t feel guilty, but I would gladly have sacrificed PS 5 or Xbox Whatever for a well supported Sega console.

21 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

If you are talking about the new VCS, no they still prefer the old 5200.

5 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t feel guilty, but I would gladly have sacrificed PS 5 or Xbox Whatever for a well supported Sega console.

Yes. Lets demand more beauty in gaming.

5 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

If you are talking about the new VCS, no they still prefer the old 5200.

Oh I see.

3 hours ago, Creamhoven said:
4 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

Some are so attached to the original hardware that nothing else would do, no matter how cool.  

For others, the new 5200 would be rejected for one of the following reasons:

a) It's not the "REAL" Atari

b) it needs to be priced like a mass-market console not a niche console, even though it's a niche console

c) it's probably a scam

d) TACOS!

I umfortunatly have to agree, but we can be smarter in the future.

I don't think we can.   As long as there are two competing products that do the same thing but are mutually incompatible, there will be people arguing over whichever is best.   Nobody wants to feel like they spent a lot of money on the inferior product, so they are arguing to convince themselves as much as they are trying to convince everyone else.   And every forum where a console war breaks out, there will be people pleading "guys, guys can we please stop arguing about a piece of plastic?!?"  but to no avail.

Okay, this might be technically true, but in gaming discourse supremecy and race is the established dialetic. Look at the PC masterrace.

I have never heard "supremacy" and "race" used to discuss consoles.   Yes some people do object to the "PC Master Race" framing because it conjures up Nazi memories.   But I don't think the solution to that is to extend "racial" concepts to all consoles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

If there was more positive energy behind the amico maybe we would have earthworm jim.

And how would that be a great thing. The OG EWJ has always been an overrated game imho and there's nothing positive about its creator, actually. 🙂

Attaching the word racism to something that has nothing to do with race is dumb, tone deaf, and insulting towards anyone who would have gone through actual racism.

If you didn't understand why they bring it up, it is to mock how stupid the idea of it and that someone literally believes the stupid stuff that came out of their mouth.

How about you do gaming communism next? Ole phony boy Tallarico used that one too. 🤣

That last suggestion was Sarcasm btw.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1