IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Documenting the Contents of All Aquarius Cartridges and Variants

This post is intended to accompany the Aquarius Collecting List post, which can be found here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/301304-aquarius-aquarius-collecting-list/

I've wanted to create a post like this for a long time now, but I wanted to wait until I had fully completed my Aquarius set (all boxes, all overlays, all manuals, all carts). As of this month (March 2023), I have successfully done that!

The goal of this post is to document the contents of each Aquarius cartridge with photos, determine the differences between each variant, and provide a reference for future collectors. A common topic in the Aquarius community that I have noticed is the exact contents of the later releases. They are extremely hard to come by, are often missing overlays, and the manuals provide incorrect information, and so until now the exact contents have not been documented. I have been lucky enough to acquire every overlay with each of my carts, so this post will fix that issue.

Secondly, I would like to document Aquarius variants. Aquarius titles typically had at minimum two variants: a Mattel release and a Radofin release. Radofin releases were produced after Mattel sold the Aquarius' rights back to Radofin, and were produced in smaller quantities and are much more common in Europe than North America. They can be identified by the removal of Mattel branding from the packaging and in many cases the addition of 1 or more languages other than English to the packaging. There are more variants for some titles, such as Finnish language manuals.

In the future, I will make another post similar to this one covering hardware and their variations, and possibly one for cassettes as well.

Here we go! This post will document 21/20 of the Aquarius library, or in other words the full set as well as the store demonstration cart.

4K Memory:

IMG_2396.thumb.jpeg.90923d602bcf728a75573bf2f8d7896e.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge.

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual.

Only the Radofin version contains a manual, and this has been verified with sealed copies of 4K memory.

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages, addition of a paper manual.

16K Memory:

16KM_IM.jpeg.bc546417bc57ce9c1cad47422f6d2d09.jpeg16K_IM.jpeg.97e3d3c3f33bd9bd0bdf97872d9524a5.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Special Notice

Only the Radofin version contains a manual, and this has been verified with sealed copies of 16K memory.

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages, addition of a paper manual.

Photos Credit of @Intymike

32K Memory

IMG_2398.thumb.jpeg.e4bc3f190f713907f47707d56adb3b73.jpeg

No Mattel variant was released.

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Oversized Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual.

Modem

IMG_2399.thumb.jpeg.12bbf7e91318da32982ebd5c5ba8eea2.jpeg

No Radofin variant has been found.

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Cardboard Tray, Cartridge, Cassette Tape, Manual and brochures/catalogs.

FileForm

IMG_2401.thumb.jpeg.54bb5a6420a8fa4486d99d5237108528.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Cardboard Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays.

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Cardboard Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays.

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages, manual binding is no longer spiral.

FinForm

IMG_2402.thumb.jpeg.612ec0fc6b1b199abd54c03a932f5eba.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Cardboard Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays.

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Cardboard Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays.

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages, manual binding is no longer spiral. Note that the Radofin version of this title still uses a Mattel Electronics branded manual. This is not a mistake, as I have confirmed this with 3 copies of the Radofin variant.

Logo

IMG_2403.thumb.jpeg.916c7ff6ca543b50952e96d549907f54.jpeglogo_cm.jpeg.e1e28c28f1237b7a9ddccce1c10c992e.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding

Photo of Radofin Variant Credit of @cmart604. Radofin Variant Photo is incomplete, and needs an upgrade.

Extended Microsoft Basic

IMG_2404.thumb.jpeg.472d092d65420247ec73d6b94483574d.jpeg

*This example is in bad condition, if you have a better condition example, please post a picture.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.376a1485a464bc058b1a62baa7e13902.jpegADD_IM.thumb.jpeg.1fc07108d2b890faabef19778c5b94e9.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays, 2 Controller Overlays.

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays, 2 Controller Overlays.

Photo of Radofin Variant Credit of @cmart604. Radofin Variant Photo is missing manual, and needs an upgrade.

Astrosmash

IMG_2406.thumb.jpeg.2977ebe61605d488e1ab7ea0444f0380.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays, 2 Controller Overlays.

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays, 2 Controller Overlays.

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages.

Biorhythms

IMG_2407.thumb.jpeg.0086c5a6d4e81de87cad993a0b0e63df.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual.

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages.

Note that this is the only software release that does not contain any overlays at all.

BurgerTime

IMG_2408.thumb.jpeg.63a07b9eaacbb38d4a0c7b7084fbae8d.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, copyright information on cartridge is blue instead of white.

Nightstalker

IMG_2410.thumb.jpeg.8824c7522c162cb9cb29615e6838bcb3.jpegNS_IM.thumb.jpeg.b776fe99cf3b7b89bc3f91bb295a24ac.jpeg

Photo of Radofin Variant Credit of @Intymike

Snafu

IMG_2409.thumb.jpeg.fa2ac16a7710cb6a5e2066c633b68f13.jpegS_IM.thumb.jpeg.267f8f34fe2ef9293bc6b4fda5837a5f.jpeg

Tron: Deadly Discs

IMG_2411.thumb.jpeg.ba1207adb80443c3c17f2aabc74bbcb4.jpegTD_IM.thumb.jpeg.fa0c5f7fd94325fd4b0c61e73f943b66.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages to packaging.

Utopia

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.447cb2e269678393e6a7fd68512cd12e.jpegU_IM.thumb.jpeg.bf7b24f2c20410a30543323701c7d4fa.jpeg

Melody Chase

IMG_2413.thumb.jpeg.f0d311bda7ce76ca97fd8ca0b4f848b0.jpeg

Chess

IMG_2414.thumb.jpeg.f04d6fe8b60fc84d4d6e2581eae2a31f.jpeg

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays.

Note that this is the only game that does not include controller overlays. This has been verified with multiple copies, and the manual does not state that controller overlays are included.

It is likely that a variant of Chess exists that has a small label with the title in the corner of the box's front, instead of a full color box art. Also note that the box art for Chess and Zero-In read "Cartridge Instructions". This is an example of Radofin's poor QA towards the end of the system's life cycle.

Zero-In

IMG_2417.thumb.jpeg.a7baacaca147cc928825ae88cc68e683.jpegIMG_2416.thumb.jpeg.392ee6bd72151c2dee5232494c88f07e.jpeg

Note that although this game's manual states only one controller overlay is included, there are actually two in a complete copy. This is an example of Radofin's poor QA towards the end of the system's life cycle.

Unfortunately for variant collectors, Zero-In does have a variant. Instead of a full color box art, it only has a small printed label with the game's title in the corner. The two variants are pictured on the right. Also note that the box art for Chess and Zero-In read "Cartridge Instructions". This is another example of Radofin's poor QA towards the end of the system's life cycle.

Space Speller

IMG_2415.thumb.jpeg.f0ffa54a79151138395ad84e337d5e7d.jpeg

Note that although this game's manual states only one controller overlay is included, there are actually two in a complete copy. This is an example of Radofin's poor QA towards the end of the system's life cycle.

Store Demonstration Cartridge (NOT REQUIRED FOR FULL SET)

IMG_2400.thumb.jpeg.5fa8e81af47ad8fea8c50b9b558e34e9.jpeg

It is unknown if there are variants, and since this is the only known boxed copy, it is possible there are inserts missing. This cartridge is not required for a full Aquarius set since it was not available commercially, and is only included here for reference.

Total Contents: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge.

That's all!

If anyone can provide photos for the missing Radofin variants, that would be greatly appreciated, and I will add them to the main post. If additional variants are discovered, they can be posted here and added to the main post.

I hope this serves as a helpful reference for both future and veteran collectors for the Aquarius. It will be linked to from the Aquarius Collecting List thread, which is pinned in the Intellivision/Aquarius subforum.

Thank you for reading through this behemoth of a post.

More discussion for the Aquarius can be found at the discord server, here:

https://discord.gg/TjCZZZ8HZQ

We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by EdgeOfPortal
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

This post is intended to accompany the Aquarius Collecting List post, which can be found here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/301304-aquarius-aquarius-collecting-list/

As this is intended to be used as a reference, I would also like to request edit permissions on this post and the next one, so that I may update it in the future.
I've wanted to create a post like this for a long time now, but I wanted to wait until I had fully completed my Aquarius set (all boxes, all overlays, all manuals, all carts). As of this month (March 2023), I have successfully done that!

The goal of this post is to document the contents of each Aquarius cartridge with photos, determine the differences between each variant, and provide a reference for future collectors. A common topic in the Aquarius community that I have noticed is the exact contents of the later releases. They are extremely hard to come by, are often missing overlays, and the manuals provide incorrect information, and so until now the exact contents have not been documented. I have been lucky enough to acquire every overlay with each of my carts, so this post will fix that issue.

Secondly, I would like to document Aquarius variants. Aquarius titles typically had at minimum two variants: a Mattel release and a Radofin release. Radofin releases were produced after Mattel sold the Aquarius' rights back to Radofin, and were produced in smaller quantities and are much more common in Europe than North America. They can be identified by the removal of Mattel branding from the packaging and in many cases the addition of 1 or more languages other than English to the packaging. There are more variants for some titles, such as Finnish language manuals.

In the future, I will make another post similar to this one covering hardware and their variations, and possibly one for cassettes as well.

Here we go! This post will document 21/20 of the Aquarius library, or in other words the full set as well as the store demonstration cart.

4K Memory:

IMG_2396.thumb.jpeg.90923d602bcf728a75573bf2f8d7896e.jpeg

Only the Radofin version contains a manual, and this has been verified with sealed copies of 4K memory.

16K Memory:

IMG_2397.thumb.jpeg.b97b8d93aaea768e1abac4917c43ccd5.jpeg

Only the Radofin version contains a manual, and this has been verified with sealed copies of 16K memory.

*Missing photo of Radofin variant, please post one if you own it

32K Memory

IMG_2398.thumb.jpeg.e4bc3f190f713907f47707d56adb3b73.jpeg

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Oversized Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual.

Modem

IMG_2399.thumb.jpeg.12bbf7e91318da32982ebd5c5ba8eea2.jpeg

No Radofin variant has been found.

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Cardboard Tray, Cartridge, Cassette Tape, Manual and brochures/catalogs.

FileForm

IMG_2401.thumb.jpeg.54bb5a6420a8fa4486d99d5237108528.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages, manual binding is no longer spiral.

FinForm

IMG_2402.thumb.jpeg.612ec0fc6b1b199abd54c03a932f5eba.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages, manual binding is no longer spiral. Note that the Radofin version of this title still uses a Mattel Electronics branded manual. This is not a mistake, as I have confirmed this with 3 copies of the Radofin variant.

Logo

IMG_2403.thumb.jpeg.916c7ff6ca543b50952e96d549907f54.jpeg

Extended Microsoft Basic

IMG_2404.thumb.jpeg.472d092d65420247ec73d6b94483574d.jpeg

*This example is in bad condition, if you have a better condition example, please post a picture.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Treasure of Tarmin

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.376a1485a464bc058b1a62baa7e13902.jpeg

Astrosmash

IMG_2406.thumb.jpeg.2977ebe61605d488e1ab7ea0444f0380.jpeg

Biorhythms

IMG_2407.thumb.jpeg.0086c5a6d4e81de87cad993a0b0e63df.jpeg

Total Contents of Mattel Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual.

Note that this is the only software release that does not contain any overlays at all.

BurgerTime

IMG_2408.thumb.jpeg.63a07b9eaacbb38d4a0c7b7084fbae8d.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, copyright information on cartridge is blue instead of white.

Nightstalker

IMG_2410.thumb.jpeg.8824c7522c162cb9cb29615e6838bcb3.jpeg

Snafu

IMG_2409.thumb.jpeg.fa2ac16a7710cb6a5e2066c633b68f13.jpeg

Tron: Deadly Discs

IMG_2411.thumb.jpeg.ba1207adb80443c3c17f2aabc74bbcb4.jpeg

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages to packaging.

Utopia

IMG_2412.thumb.jpeg.447cb2e269678393e6a7fd68512cd12e.jpeg

Melody Chase

IMG_2413.thumb.jpeg.f0d311bda7ce76ca97fd8ca0b4f848b0.jpeg

Chess

IMG_2414.thumb.jpeg.f04d6fe8b60fc84d4d6e2581eae2a31f.jpeg

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual, Left + Right KB Overlays.

Note that this is the only game that does not include controller overlays. This has been verified with multiple copies, and the manual does not state that controller overlays are included.

It is likely that a variant of Chess exists that has a small label with the title in the corner of the box's front, instead of a full color box art. Also note that the box art for Chess and Zero-In read "Cartridge Instructions". This is an example of Radofin's poor QA towards the end of the system's life cycle.

Zero-In

IMG_2417.thumb.jpeg.a7baacaca147cc928825ae88cc68e683.jpegIMG_2416.thumb.jpeg.392ee6bd72151c2dee5232494c88f07e.jpeg

Unfortunately for variant collectors, Zero-In does have a variant. Instead of a full color box art, it only has a small printed label with the game's title in the corner. The two variants are pictured on the right. Also note that the box art for Chess and Zero-In read "Cartridge Instructions". This is another example of Radofin's poor QA towards the end of the system's life cycle.

Space Speller

IMG_2415.thumb.jpeg.f0ffa54a79151138395ad84e337d5e7d.jpeg

Store Demonstration Cartridge (NOT REQUIRED FOR FULL SET)

IMG_2400.thumb.jpeg.5fa8e81af47ad8fea8c50b9b558e34e9.jpeg

It is unknown if there are variants, and since this is the only known boxed copy, it is possible there are inserts missing. This cartridge is not required for a full Aquarius set since it was not available commercially, and is only included here for reference.

Total Contents: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge.

That's all!

If anyone can provide photos for the missing Radofin variants, that would be greatly appreciated, and I will add them to the main post. If additional variants are discovered, they can be posted here and added to the main post.

Once again, if a moderator reads this, I would like to request edit permissions for this post and the next one. Thank you.

I hope this serves as a helpful reference for both future and veteran collectors for the Aquarius. It will be linked to from the Aquarius Collecting List thread, which is pinned in the Intellivision/Aquarius subforum.

Thank you for reading through this behemoth of a post.

More discussion for the Aquarius can be found at the discord server, here:

https://discord.gg/TjCZZZ8HZQ

We are always happy to welcome new members!

Wow!!! What an achievement!!! 😎👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm doing some research for future posts here. If anyone owns Radofin variants of Aquarius cartridges, could you please check what Quality Check number is shown on the blue sticker on the back of the cart shell? Note that I am not looking for the QC numbers associated with Radofin-exclusives such as Melody Chase and Space Speller. I've made a form for this purpose:

https://forms.gle/63xWERuexZNWNbc38

This data will go towards improving our knowledge of Radofin variants, and will eventually be used in a future post on this thread. Thank you!

Here are some additional Radofin versions.

IMG_9835.jpeg

Night Stalker

IMG_9829.jpeg

Utopia

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages to packaging and manual.

IMG_9833.jpeg

Tron Deadly Discs

Differences between Radofin and Mattel Variants: Removal of Mattel branding, addition of several languages to packaging and manual.

IMG_9834.jpeg

Snafu

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 2

16k Memory

IMG_9836.jpeg

16k Memory

Total Contents of Radofin Variant: Box, Plastic Tray, Cartridge, Manual

IMG_9837.jpeg

16k Memory

My copy of Mattel 16k Memory also includes this special notice.

Edited by Intymike
  • Like 1

Thank you @Intymike and @cmart604 for the Radofin photos! We now have photos for all Radofin variants, even if not all are complete. Logo and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons are incomplete, and need an upgrade.

5 hours ago, Intymike said:

16k Memory

My copy of Mattel 16k Memory also includes this special notice.

I replaced my Mattel photo with this one as well. Mine also has the special notice now that I checked, I must've forgotten to include it in the photo.

One concern I have is that many of the Mattel titles originally came packaged with catalogs in them, but that would be difficult to confirm which catalogs were included with which game unless we started opening sealed copies of Mattel variants.

2 hours ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Thank you @Intymike and @cmart604 for the Radofin photos! We now have photos for all Radofin variants, even if not all are complete. Logo and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons are incomplete, and need an upgrade.

Sorry I missed that ADD is incomplete. I will do a photo. For Logo I only have the Mattel version.

Edited by Intymike

A complete Radofin Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Treasure Of Tarmin.

IMG_9864.jpeg

Edited by Intymike

3 hours ago, Intymike said:

A complete Radofin Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Treasure Of Tarmin.

IMG_9864.jpeg

Added! Radofin variant photos are now complete for all titles except Logo. I don't believe there was a Radofin Modem?

I will also add any other variants, should new ones be discovered.

Been looking for the picture I saved of the Finnish (I believe they are Finnish, anyway) language manuals. I couldn't remember where I saved it, but I finally found it! This is a picture from an ebay listing from a few years back. It included an AQ II, so the price was incredibly high and I couldn't get my hands on them.

AQ_Finnish.jpeg.c69b9a8d29730f1466bb8b6bc27de53b.jpeg

I think this is the only time they've shown up, but I'm not sure.