IGNORED

Wii U better than Switch?

For me, it's the Switch.  My gaming time is mostly portable these days and the wide variety of games available on the Switch makes it my go to system.  The Wii U I played but didn't really get strongly into.  My kids used to be all in on the U but in the past year, they haven't asked to play it (as it's in the basement in storage) and when I did bring it up to get power to it, it just sat there untouched.

So it's better for me.

I thought I had already given my opinion but actually I didn't.

I loved the Wii U, like most Nintendo systems since the GameCube (except for the GBA that kinda frustrated me at the time, but that's another story). And the Wii U can do things the Switch can't do, so I'm a little annoyed when people claim the Switch makes the Wii U redundant. Games that really benefited from the asymmetrical gameplay (Nintendo Land, Game & Wario) were really fun with my nephew and niece in particular. And I like having a map on a second screen...

That being said, I always preferred handhelds anyway (the 3DS is my favorite game system of all time) so the Switch is more convenient to me overall. Also, the last time I used my Wii U, I remembered how slooooooow was the OS, even with the quick menu they added by firmware update. I think what sold the Switch to me and to many people is the suspend function that already existed on PS4, but the Switch one is way quicker (it turns on and off instantly) and again, the portable aspect makes it easy to stop and resume play at any place, any time, without having to wait for the TV to turn on for instance. That's why Breath of the Wild became the killer app of the Switch; it was basically the same game as the Wii U's version, but being able to play a 'big' game in small sessions was quite new. Now if the Switch could suspend several games at a time (like Xbox's quick resume) and have streaming apps, it would be perfect to me.

• Like 1