IGNORED

Anyone else enjoying Colecovision on the Analogue Pocket?

SegaSnatcher

I've been having a blast playing Colecovision on the Pocket.  I just find it a very convenient way to play Coleco games, especially when I just want to play for a couple of minutes. 

It even has SGM support which is very nice.  

I can't think of a better handheld Colecovision experience than the Pocket.   

DSC00671.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I've been having a blast playing Colecovision on the Pocket.  I just find it a very convenient way to play Coleco games, especially when I just want to play for a couple of minutes. 

DSC00671.JPG

Free on your phone.

• Confused 1

I really want to get a Pocket.. just wish they more readily available and weren't so darn expensive, plus the necessary (IMO) yet expensive dock that's available separately.. it's a decent chunk 'o change.

I do have the Mega SG and Super NT though and love them both, so with all the cores supported, I know it would be worth it.

Emulation just can't compare to an FPGA-based console.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

It's a great option to play ColecoVision games, but the best handheld/portable option IN MY HUMBLE OPTION is the Nintendo DS line-up of systems... DS, DSi, 2DS or 3DS. The dual screen is perfect with the botton screen functioning as a touch pad that works great for CV controller keypad input. Check out ColecoDS by wavemotion on his GitHub page and yes, it supports Overlays, SGM, MegaCart and numerous other cousin systems... even the ADAM Computer. His emulator offerings for the DS lineup are some of the best emulators that I have used for any system. Pics of CV Beamrider and ADAM Donkey Kong Jr.

wavemotion-dave · GitHub

DS.thumb.jpg.e93d9534c3351614b0fac9291bbd5975.jpg

278250266_10228141740952539_3789067038720178084_n.thumb.jpg.808fb4949106ec3d04b7b6d03b5076db.jpg

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 8

I'm not so sure the Pocket is better. It's not a 320x200 native screen, either, so CV screens have to be stretched and integer-scaled to get true full screen. Although it is a proper 4:3 ratio, apparently its screen is actually 1600x1440 pixels, which is an extreme excess of pixels..

Although, I'm not sure if Nintendo DS can play SGM and / or games > 32kb. Also, Nintendo DS has also gotten super expensive within the last year. Probably close to $100 now for a decent system. Five years ago, they could be had for $20! Still far, far cheaper than the Pocket, which is vastly and greedily overpriced.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, zyzzle said:

I'm not so sure the Pocket is better. It's not a 320x200 native screen, either, so CV screens have to be stretched and integer-scaled to get true full screen. Although it is a proper 4:3 ratio, apparently its screen is actually 1600x1440 pixels, which is an extreme excess of pixels..

Although, I'm not sure if Nintendo DS can play SGM and / or games > 32kb. Also, Nintendo DS has also gotten super expensive within the last year. Probably close to $100 now for a decent system. Five years ago, they could be had for $20! Still far, far cheaper than the Pocket, which is vastly and greedily overpriced.

image.thumb.png.e857d20fb54b559902775cb1d92c5b0a.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zyzzle said:

The Pocket uses a 10:9 aspect display, which matches the GB/GBC, but Colecovision is scaled with accurate aspect ratio, you just get some black bars on top and bottom.  Analogue uses quality interpolation, so you don't need an integer scale to make cores look nice on that screen.  If you look at the 2013 IMANOK logo in that picture, you'll see all pixels are uniform, so no issues with shimmering while scrolling. 

Also, pretty sure Colecovision is 256x192 resolution, no?

Edited by SegaSnatcher

4 hours ago, NIAD said:

It's a great option to play ColecoVision games, but the best handheld/portable option IN MY HUMBLE OPTION is the Nintendo DS line-up of systems... DS, DSi, 2DS or 3DS. The dual screen is perfect with the botton screen functioning as a touch pad that works great for CV controller keypad input. Check out ColecoDS by wavemotion on his GitHub page and yes, it supports Overlays, SGM, MegaCart and numerous other cousin systems... even the ADAM Computer. His emulator offerings for the DS lineup are some of the best emulators that I have used for any system. Pics of CV Beamrider and ADAM Donkey Kong Jr.

wavemotion-dave · GitHub

I didn’t see anything on the GH repo, so I’ll ask here.  Besides  a DS, what do I need?  Do I have to mod the DS or have a certain firmware version? Any link to a guide? tia

6 hours ago, zyzzle said:

All the info about ColecoDS is on wavemotion’s GitHub page and I provided the link.

As I stated, ColecoDS is compatible with SGM and MegaCart games.

The DSi is the best option in the DS lineup, especially the XL version with the larger screens. Also, the DSi is pixel perfect for ColecoVision games as it uses a 256x192 screen just like the CV.

Price for a DS system is minimal compared to everything that one could use it for if you soft-mod it or buy an SD Cart. My DSi allows me to play all the early systems up through Super NES / Genesis as well as play all the DS games… a great value for the price.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, evg2000 said:

I didn’t see anything on the GH repo, so I’ll ask here.  Besides  a DS, what do I need?  Do I have to mod the DS or have a certain firmware version? Any link to a guide? tia

You either have to softmod it and place all the emulators and roms on an SD Card OR buy one of those SD Carts and just copy everything to it with no softmod needed.

• Like 2

Yes, my mistake. CV is of course 256x192. Going with the DS and ColecoDS software is much better. I'd much better play on a screen with exactly the same native resolution as CV (and apparently some other 8-bit systems, although NES seems to be 256x240 and SNES is 256x224. Thanks for confirming all the info re: SGM game compatibilty.

Unless you have bionic eyes, I don't understand how you can see the difference between native resolution and integer-scaled (615 ppi dammit). 🤔 Actually the higher resolution of the Pocket allows to recreate the space between pixels, so the result is closer to how it looks on a CRT.

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Unless you have bionic eyes, I don't understand how you can see the difference between native resolution and integer-scaled (615 ppi dammit). 🤔 Actually the higher resolution of the Pocket allows to recreate the space between pixels, so the result is closer to how it looks on a CRT.

Most importantly I'm willing to bet that the screen on the Pocket is overall much better than what is found in the DS.   Better contrast ratio, colors, viewing angles, etc.   

Pretty sure the DS uses a fairly low quality TN panel.  

At the screen size and PPI of the Pocket screen, you are not really going to see a huge difference between integer vs scaled with quality interpolation.  

Edited by SegaSnatcher

Thanks for the kind words, @NIAD - and I agree with everything you said.

One trick to buying a good used DSi for homebrew is that you can buy one that has a broken cart (game) slot. The older DS (Lite/Phat) does not have an SD card slot and so you must use a flashcart to play homebrew games (like ColecoDS) but the DSi has an SD card slot (and 2x the CPU and 4X the memory) and it's fairly trivial to just take an old SD card and put something like Twilight Menu++ and you're off to the races. To that end looking for a DSi (I highly recommend, as NIAD said, the XL model which has a slightly slower refresh on the LCD and more closely mimics a real phosphor CRT) you might be able to score one cheaply if you're willing to take a broken cart (game) slot as you'll be using the SD slot on the side anyway. I've scored a couple of really nice DSi XL units for under US$50 this way.  Also don't be afraid to use a Japanese DSi LL (same as the USA XL model) - once you soft-mod it with an SD card, it will be in English anyway.

Honestly not sure why the DS and DSi models have gone up in price... they made more than 137 million of these - about 40x more than the entire Colecovision stock on the planet. Maybe it's a phase people are going through... I assume the price will settle back down. Or maybe the 6 people that use my DS emulators have driven the price up :D

• Like 2